The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

The Truth

Best foods for low carb and best foods during carb up

What are some good tasting foods to eat on a low carb diet?

Eggs, meat, cheeses, and oil is all I'm eating right now.

What's best to eat during the carb up? Complex carbs.

So like oatmeal, pasta.. What are some other GOOD, quickly made complex carbs?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

low carbing: Chicken breasts, tuna, fish, vegetables, you'll need a lot more healthy fats...

carb ups: oatmeal, pastas, breads, dairy products, brown rice, oat/grain cereals.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

The Truth
    Dairy products, except for milk, would be best for the low carb wouldn't they? Low carbs but semi-high protein and a decent amount of fat.

Because for the carb up, you don't want much protein so you can eat as many carbs as you can down.

BTW you think milk is good for the carb up? I've read a ton of bad **** about milk. Personally I use to drink 1gallon+ daily and basically nothing else for food intake but junk food before I started bodybuilding and put on size without bodyfat.

Wannabebig Member
    For the carb up I would do sweet potatoes, bananas, oatmeal, maybe some peanut butter for some fats.

Originally posted by Tru
    Dairy products, except for milk, would be best for the low carb wouldn't they? Low carbs but semi-high protein and a decent amount of fat.
    You could take in some skim milk during your carb up, but I would keep an eye on the amount of protein that you are taking in.

Because for the carb up, you don't want much protein so you can eat as many carbs as you can down.
    Are you thinking in terms of the NHE style carb ups or the standard approach to refeeding?

BTW you think milk is good for the carb up? I've read a ton of bad **** about milk. Personally I use to drink 1gallon+ daily and basically nothing else for food intake but junk food before I started bodybuilding and put on size without bodyfat.
    As long as you are not lactose intolerant, then I see no problems with consuming milk.

Originally posted by rgkfit
    For the carb up I would do sweet potatoes, bananas, oatmeal, maybe some peanut butter for some fats.
    Peanut butter would not be an ideal source of fat when refeeding, and the only supplemental fat that should be included in a refeed would be n-3 fatty acids.

Hey, myself and a guy I know swear by drinking tons of skim milk. The carbs aren't too high in it, and the protein is pretty good and not too much at a time.
    "Color outside the lines"

Originally posted by Ebu
    Hey, myself and a guy I know swear by drinking tons of skim milk. The carbs aren't too high in it, and the protein is pretty good and not too much at a time.
    1.5 gr of carbs for every 1 gr of protein. NOT what you want to be ingesting for a low carb meal.

Children's cereals are favorite among the low carb/carbup crowd. They're cheap, quick, tasty, and if you pick the right brands, they've very little fat.

Keeping fat intake minimal during carb ups is vital.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

so what fat sources?
    olive oil, nuts, fish oils? is that all that's needed?
    Author: VOET D ET AL
    Publisher: WILEY
    Edition: 1E99
    Binding:APN: 9780471586500 or ISBN(0471586501)
    RRP: 124.95

Originally posted by CoASH
    so what fat sources?
    olive oil, nuts, fish oils? is that all that's needed?
    During a refeed/carb up fat intake should be kept to a minimum (~15% of daily cals), and the only supplemental fat you would need would be added fish oils. The rest of your fat would come from the foods that you are eating.

As far as fat sources in general, the ones you mentioned above are good sources of fat. Try and get a good ratio of omega-6's to omega 3's and then fill in the rest of your cals with monounsaturated fat, such as olive oil. Of course you will get some dietary fat from the foods that you are eating.

Maybe we should keep adding more stuff here and make it a sticky. I know that I have read many threads with the same questions but they are all scattered.

On carb up day I eat.

Pancakes
    Cereal
    Milk
    Pasta
    Potato
    Bread
    Pretzels
    Low Fat or Fat Free ice cream
    Lean Pockets

On another note, when I carb loaded my muscles got all swelled up. My calves look much bigger and more defined. I though I was carrying around bowling pins.

Originally posted by harryhoudini66
    On another note, when I carb loaded my muscles got all swelled up. My calves look much bigger and more defined. I though I was carrying around bowling pins.
    It is possible to overfill muscle glycogen stores (glycogen supercompensation), which could have occurred in your case if you took in enough carbs for this to occur.

Low Carb:

Pork Chops
    T-Bone
    Filet Mignon
    Salisbury steak
    Ground Beef
    Turkey Burger
    Ostrich
    Hamburger
    Italian Sausage
    Pork Links
    Thick Bacon
    Chicken
    Cheddar Cheese
    Pepper Jack Cheese
    Monterey Jack
    Feta
    Eggs
    Jell-O
    Crystal Light
    Water
    Diet Pop
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 08-20-2003 at 08:09 PM.