The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

effects of beer on bulking

a friend of mine is trying to bulk. he is around 18 with high metabolism. he went off to college, and like most i told him his metablosim will die down. he has unlimited meal plan and he says eats at least 4 times a day untill he is packed full. and after 2months he hasnt gained more than 2 lbs.

he drinks 3-4 times a week, maybe 5 beers each time. what effect would the beer have on bulking? he thinks it will help it out since it is alot of cals.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: effects of beer on bulking

Originally posted by euphoricsoul01
    he thinks it will help it out since it is alot of cals.
    Well he's half right. It will help out if he's looking to get a big gut. Beer is mostly empty calories with no nutritional value.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    It will also lower testosterone and inhibit protein synthesis for the next 24 hours. So in the day following drinking he can forget about gaining muscle. It works great if the purpose is getting a bigger gut though.
    Last edited by restless; 10-31-2002 at 03:17 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Helps in getting laid though!:alcoholic
    Intensity!!! Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!

alcohol and protein do not go together. when combined protein digestion is severely hampered.

Exactly, you can't fool urself by saying that beer has lots of carbs, therefore it aids in the bulking progress. Alcohol is always bad but it's ur choice.
    Moderate amounts of alcohol could have a good impact though, mostly mentally, because you don't feel so restricted and independent.
    Thanks god, I hate beer.

limited drinking would be okay, because lets face it, how many of us want to be Mr. Olympia?

I drink on the weekends usually, and i've been losing fat just fine, but i make sure to limit it to 1 at most 2 days during the week.
    Yan

'Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems'
    -Homer Simpson

Starting all over again :(
    why drink beer?? just chug shots. less calories

MACHINE
    Alcohol conflicts with many processes beneficial to the muscle cell, especially hydration, which is essential. I don't think it has much effect on weight gain, but does hinder muscle gain.

doesn't stop me from drinking though...
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Originally posted by gino

doesn't stop me from drinking though...
    me either
    peace-

Craig

Originally posted by LAM
    alcohol and protein do not go together. when combined protein digestion is severely hampered.
    If you knew that you were going to drink say friday. When is it ideal to work out. Friday, or Saturday. When should I eat a meal before or after drinking.

I find it best to eat before and after. Though this is where you get the gut from. Stay away from bar food. I don't know about protien digestion, but after a good workout I like to eat hard and drink hard. The only problem with drinking the next day is if you have problems with hangovers. Drink tons of water. I often do a short wo in the morning before work and feel great. I may not be much of a bodybuilder but I take my drinking seriously.
    Berserker

Grasshoppa
    Well, if you workout on Friday, your body jumpstarts the muscle repair. Now, if you inhibit protein synthesis on the same day, what do you think would happen?

Excuse my common sense approach if I'm wrong, but it just makes sense to me that you'd be better off separating drinking days from lifting days.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Originally posted by Jilla82
    why drink beer?? just chug shots. less calories
    nope. more cals in one shot than in one beer.

Originally posted by Clark

nope. more cals in one shot than in one beer.
    Well it depends on if you are talking about an Amstel Light or a Newcastle. tuttut

My studies of beer on bulking are inconclusive...I'll have to do more in depth research tonight and get back with my findings.

angel:
    Last edited by Stray; 10-31-2002 at 05:49 PM.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Not sure about the cals in beer vs shots Clark. Maybe if your drinking chick shots are something with alot of sugar. One site I saw said most 80 proof was around 80 cals, maybe little less. My expereince is drink what you want. 96 cals in miller lite. If your drinking enough that 16 cals is a differance your my hero. Though the mix does make a bit of differance. Your drinking should be like your work out you need to change excercises every now and then. Thats not to say you shouldn't get good at one of them.
    Berserker

Originally posted by Shao-LiN
    Well, if you workout on Friday, your body jumpstarts the muscle repair. Now, if you inhibit protein synthesis on the same day, what do you think would happen?

Excuse my common sense approach if I'm wrong, but it just makes sense to me that you'd be better off separating drinking days from lifting days.
    I actually knew that but wanted to make sure. I thought that maybe drinking the night before would hinder my gain the next day or something, other than that I am really respondsible when it comes to drinking. I usually just watch my friends(some of them are even more muscular than I am) get sh*tfaced all the time and join in the FUN once in a while.

P.S. It's halloween and it's my FUN night. I am off :alcoholic

I've been getting wasted, 2x / week for the last 3 weeks while bulking. The rest of my diet is solid, but I've noticed the only thing I've been gaining is a gut.

what about beer's effects on cutting? I'm starting a short cut phase and may get hammered only 1x / week. Kinda as my cheat day.
    Last edited by Avatar; 11-01-2002 at 09:52 AM.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

When cutting you have to look at cals in vs. cals out. Count the beer towards your calories. (Mind you that they are preety much empty cals.) And you should be fine,

Remember it is your cheat day. And if you read my post from above I went drinking last night but still lost 1llb from the days prior. That would be good but the thing is I am bulking

I should have ate more during the day. Oh well I am going to make up for it today.

Originally posted by Avatar
    I've been getting wasted, 2x / week for the last 3 weeks while bulking. The rest of my diet is solid, but I've noticed the only thing I've been gaining is a gut.

LOL Avatar.

The biggest problem with going out and partying I have is it basically causes me to skip 2-3 meals. At least 2 at night and 1 in the morning when I sleep in too late.

So it hampers my bulking too.
    peace-

Craig

Originally posted by AJ_11
    if you read my post from above I went drinking last night but still lost 1llb from the days prior.
    The 1lb loss is from dehydration. Your body loses a ton of water from drinking alcohol.

From a night of beer guzzling, having sex, and not eating any food, I'm usually ripped in the morning.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Grasshoppa
    I dunno, if you're gonna drink, I imagine the last thing on your mind is how many cals you're taking in.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Originally posted by Shao-LiN
    I dunno, if you're gonna drink, I imagine the last thing on your mind is how many cals you're taking in.
    Very true. I do realize that i lost some water weight due to dehydration, but my point was that I didn't gain any weight. Although I am preety smart when it comes to drinking. Usually I go One Beer, One water. That's actually to save money. I don't get ripped but I do get a little buzz. So I don't think that it was all dehydration. I probable burn a few cals dancing with preety girls all night.

Originally posted by LAM
    I dunno about the word 'severely'.

I looked up some studies this morning, and the bottom line is that most of what I stumbled across indicate a temporary *decrease* in protein synthesis, not a complete halting of it. And there is certainly NO indication that it lasts "....24 hours...".

One of the studies I viewed indicated a 23-26% decrease in protein synthesis. So, you're still growing, but for a short period of time, you'll only grow at 70%+ of your normal rate of growth.

So maybe what we're looking at here is a question of timing?

I agree it's important to note that alcohol inhibits, or "decreases" protein synth. I think it's also important to note that many/most aspects of protein synthesis stop around 24-36 hours after a workout.

My split, for instance, is Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday.

The protein synthesis induced from Thursday's workout is finished by the time I'm drinking on Friday night, and the "temporarily decreased protein synth." phase is over by the time I'm lifting on Saturday.

See you at the bar on Friday.