Thread: Vomiting and Absorbtion

Vomiting and Absorbtion

Ok, kinda a wierd question...First off...NO I am not bulemic and no I don't force myself to throw up even on occasion...Whatever...But my question is if you eat food and vomit relatively soon afterwards are those calories absorbed already? Lets say you ingest ~1000 calories within an hour or so, then you vomit for one reason or another and a lot of the food matter comes up. Does this mean the calories have not been digested and absorbed? I'm pretty sure that means they AREN'T absorbed and need to be digested in the intestines, but I am unsure so please set me straight. Thanks.

The amount of calories that are absorbed would depend on how long the food stayed in your stomach, i.e. how much digestion was allowed to take place. If the food stayed in your stomach for an hour then I am sure that you would get some of the calories from the food, but you are right in that most absorption takes place in the small intenstine, so if the food never makes it there it stands to reason that the calories would not be absorbed by the body.

I don't have any data to support this, but I heard in a documentary once, that there was quite a large portion absorb pretty quickly, somewhere along the lines of 50% in 15 minutes? That was why bulemic people were still pretty healthy (except their teeth because of the acid of the vomit) as compared to annorexic people.
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Hmm, I have heard both sides...Neither from a source I would really trust on the topic. But I wanted to find out nonetheless.

Originally posted by Khar
    Hmm, I have heard both sides...Neither from a source I would really trust on the topic. But I wanted to find out nonetheless.
    ***This might be somewhat relevant, but I do not think that you will find an exact answer.

-----------------

Amount of calories retained after binge eating and vomiting.

Kaye WH, Weltzin TE, Hsu LK, McConaha CW, Bolton B.

Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh PA 15213.

While caloric consumption during binge eating has been measured, it is not known how many of the calories are retained in the gastrointestinal tract after vomiting. In 17 normal weight bulimic patients, there appeared to be a ceiling on the number of calories retained after vomiting. That is, whether or not bulimic patients had small (mean = 1,549 kcal, SD = 505) or large (mean = 3,530 kcal, SD = 438) binges, they retained similar amounts of kilocalories (mean = 1,128, SD = 497, versus mean = 1,209, SD = 574, respectively) after vomiting.

----------------

Thats interesting...SOOOO bulemics that eat like 10 pizzas versus 1 pizza then vomit they retain basically the same amount of calories? In that study did it mention anywhere the time from ingestion to when they vomited?

Originally posted by Khar
    Thats interesting...SOOOO bulemics that eat like 10 pizzas versus 1 pizza then vomit they retain basically the same amount of calories?
    Yes according to that study.

In that study did it mention anywhere the time from ingestion to when they vomited?
    That is the complete abstract, and you would have to obtain the complete study to get that information.
    Last edited by bradley; 08-18-2003 at 04:50 PM.

Another thread on vomiting, Khar??

j/k

Hey now!

Hey now! That couldn't be avoided...Right in the middle of work too...and I was alone. Fun stuff eh?