Thread: Freezing Foods - What Can Be Frozen?

Freezing Foods - What Can Be Frozen?

With my daily work shift I don't have time to cook. I'd like to take a few hours a week to cook and prep meal portions and store them in the cheapo Zip-Loc containers.

My question regards primarily carb intensive foods (rice, potatoes, etc.) and veggies. So far refrigeration has been OK but I'm wondering if anyone here cooks and freezes portions or meals, and what can be frozen without losing flavor/consistency/nutrition or have problems with reheating. I can cook meat and wrap/freeze that with no problem. But can I freeze a half of a baked potato with little negative effect? Brown rice, corn, etc...?

I have access to both a microwave and broiler-over at work to reheat stuff.

Thanks!
    We are not permitted to choose the frame of our destiny. But what we put into it is ours.
    -- Dag Hammarskjold
    ---------------------------------------------
    Visit Florida Shooter's Network
    http://pub49.ezboard.com/bfloridashootersnetwork
    Florida Shooting Ranges and Gun Show Listings Online

Banned
    have YOU ever had problems with freezing/ reheating food"? i havent i think anything can be frozen. im not sure about this though

Back in the game
    i cook and freeze many meals, but if you want a baked potatoe, why not just nuke it for 10 mins at work
    Lordy,Lordy.
    Wont mind hanging out the back of that- Paddy.

There is a miracle supplement its called 110%
    Hardwork that is..........- Peter Parker

Your workouts are only limited cos of your imagination- Peter Parker

No movie makes me Question my own sexuality quite like this one - Gyno Rhino

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    everything can be frozen, just check out the frozen foods section at any grocery store and you see everything there (corn, potato, rice, veggies). however, i have noticed problems w/ taste/consistency if i let something thaw and refreeze it again.

Originally posted by PeterParker
    iwhy not just nuke it for 10 mins at work
    You'll need the carbs after getting your ass kicked for hooging the microwave. Nuke it at home and reheat nuke it at work. Works pretty well. I usually break or cut it up.

Originally posted by jugheadkills
    have YOU ever had problems with freezing/ reheating food"? i havent i think anything can be frozen. im not sure about this though
    Not yet, but I figure flash freezing something is different from the slow freeze I'd get in my fridge.

Thanks for the replies
    We are not permitted to choose the frame of our destiny. But what we put into it is ours.
    -- Dag Hammarskjold
    ---------------------------------------------
    Visit Florida Shooter's Network
    http://pub49.ezboard.com/bfloridashootersnetwork
    Florida Shooting Ranges and Gun Show Listings Online

there some things that don't need to be frozen sice they can be cooked quickly in a microwave. Other than that I've frozen rice, bread(buy in bulk, freeze t save), grilled chicken,steak, mash potato and other crap. Just use common sense and it's easy. If you can freeze it oh well just don't do it again.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.