The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never Satisfied.

Squats: I do them, but I don't feel them. You figure this one out!

Tomorrow is leg day and once again I'm going to battle squats. For months and months I've been doing this, and still can't figure it out. No matter how hard I try, or what I do, I don't feel squats. It's like doing 4 sets of curls and having no bicep pump or feeling what so ever. Imagine how strange that would be, and that's basically how I feel after squatting.

I go to parallel, I go below parallel. I've tried wider stance, narrower stance. I've used extremely light weight, I've used heavier weight. I stretch, I do whatever I can think of, and still, nothing. I can't really progress on squats either. I've been stuck on the same (little) weight for a while. And it seems just as hard to do at that same weight every time. It's like I'm doing the squat, with the perfect motion, with the perfect form, going all the way down, but using everything possible EXCEPT my quads. I am sooooo pissed off at this exercise.

It's like I'm doing squats without using my quads. It's like my knees, or my ass, or stabilizer muscles or something, is doing the lift. I have no pump or soreness anywhere after squats. Actually, near my knees at like the lowest possible part of my thigh before the knee, that is sometimes where I feel something. I know that soreness isn't an indicator of blah blah blah, but I feel nothing in my quads when doing it, and nothing after doing it. That shouldn't be. The only thing I feel after squats is tired. REALLY tired. Like almost too tired. Now that I think about it, I might understand why I feel like this. It's because I just did squats without the aid of my quads. It's like I used everything else in my body to do a lift that mainly requires a muscle that I somehow didn't use. Make any sense to anyone?

It has been months like this, and I have tried literally everything. Every type of stance, depth, weight, etc. and still nothing. Here are some of my last remaining guesses:

Flexibility... I can kick over my head, or your head, and I stretch every day, but I still can't touch my toes. No male in my family can. Could this be the problem?

Lower Back... I never did direct lower back work until 3 weeks ago. I started stiff legged deadlifts. Could this be the problem?

Other than that, I have no idea what my problem is. Every other lift is perfectly fine, I feel the muscle doing the lift, I get a pump, I get sore, I progress, I get bigger. Squats have been the total opposite. I squat with perfect form and feel nothing in my quads. It's like a ****in magic trick. WTF??

Thanks in advance.
    22 - 5'11 - not big enough yet

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well, this one time I did them with heavier weight and I felt each muscle work to lift it. In that instance, though I put on more weight then I could handle. However, since I had to lift the weight back up I had no choice but to lift the mofo until I could hook it back up. I have never felt my muscles work so hard in my life. I only managed to do one rep, but that was the rep of my life.

go heavier. lots heavier. if you're squatting correctly, you probably shouldn't "feel" it in your quads anyway, but in your posterior chain (calves, hams, glutes, low back) if you're doing a proper deep squat. the point is that your quads are prolly stronger than all of those muscles, so they're not being taxed, but those muscles are keeping your squat weight down. don't worry about it, just do an extra quad exercise (leg press or something) and you'll be fine

do front squats, they hit the quads pretty good
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

For some reason your neurol receptors are not focusing on the quads. In between workouts try flexing the quads to create a direct connection.

Wear boots for squats with a high heal or stand with your heals on a board (2x4) this often will take the tendons out of the equation forcing more isolation on the quads.

When you say you have done light weights, you did not say if for 4 sets or what.

My favorite is do 10x10 with a weight you could manage 15 times. On each rep focus on tightning the quads and holding that tension as you go down and up. Rest 30-45 seconds between sets.
    Dr X

do u have this problem on other leg exercises, specifically leg press, hack squat or the like?
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

I'm curious to know what you do before squats to get ready? I like to start with about 5 minutes on a stationary bike just to get the blood flowing in my body. Then I'll do 20 light reps of leg extensions to get my quads taxed a little. They're quick, short reps but they get the pump going a bit. After that I head over to the rack and start with my squat routine. I feel for myself personally, and everybody's different, that hitting the bike and then a set of leg extensions prior to squating help prepare my legs. And my leg days have been very productive.
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 08-18-2003 at 09:46 PM.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

If flexibility isn't an issue, don't elevate your heels.

Assuming your form is OK - have you tried high rep squatting?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Make sure you are pushing through your heels when you squat, if you are pushing with the balls of your feet you won't feel your quads working.

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    I agree with unshift and houdini, the weight you're squatting at is probably not heavy enough to work the muscles out. So add more weight.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

i agree you should up the weight, and push through your heels like maccer said... wehn i do squats i dont usaly feel it in my quads during the work, but the next day i always get DOMS like you wouldnt beleve
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Wannabebig Member
    I'm a beginner to weightlifting but I THOUGHT I was "tired" (or whatever you call the feeling after you finish a lift) but then one day I decided to add more weight and decided I should put more and more on and I kept on feeling the same. The point is, sometimes it's in your head. You probably just aren't doing enough weight, like people have said before.

- Just telling you something about my experience with something similar to this.

I'm sure he figured it out in 6 years.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wannabebig Member
    ive always been told, "weight on your heels...enough so you can wiggle your toes"

see if you can do that an then you know your form, at least your feet are proper

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    I'm sure he figured it out in 6 years.

Sarvamangalam!

I've always felt it in my quads when doing squats and I go to just parallel. Do leg extension machine like others have said and see if you feel it in your quads when doing that. It should burn if done correctly and there really isn't a way to do them wrong either.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    The OP's post was SIX years ago, why are people still responding?

because Giles Corey needs MORE WEIGHT!!!!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by intensity View Post
    Tomorrow is leg day and once again I'm going to battle squats. For months and months I've been doing this, and still can't figure it out. No matter how hard I try, or what I do, I don't feel squats. It's like doing 4 sets of curls and having no bicep pump or feeling what so ever. Imagine how strange that would be, and that's basically how I feel after squatting.

I go to parallel, I go below parallel. I've tried wider stance, narrower stance. I've used extremely light weight, I've used heavier weight. I stretch, I do whatever I can think of, and still, nothing. I can't really progress on squats either. I've been stuck on the same (little) weight for a while. And it seems just as hard to do at that same weight every time. It's like I'm doing the squat, with the perfect motion, with the perfect form, going all the way down, but using everything possible EXCEPT my quads. I am sooooo pissed off at this exercise.

It's like I'm doing squats without using my quads. It's like my knees, or my ass, or stabilizer muscles or something, is doing the lift. I have no pump or soreness anywhere after squats. Actually, near my knees at like the lowest possible part of my thigh before the knee, that is sometimes where I feel something. I know that soreness isn't an indicator of blah blah blah, but I feel nothing in my quads when doing it, and nothing after doing it. That shouldn't be. The only thing I feel after squats is tired. REALLY tired. Like almost too tired. Now that I think about it, I might understand why I feel like this. It's because I just did squats without the aid of my quads. It's like I used everything else in my body to do a lift that mainly requires a muscle that I somehow didn't use. Make any sense to anyone?

It has been months like this, and I have tried literally everything. Every type of stance, depth, weight, etc. and still nothing. Here are some of my last remaining guesses:

Flexibility... I can kick over my head, or your head, and I stretch every day, but I still can't touch my toes. No male in my family can. Could this be the problem?

Lower Back... I never did direct lower back work until 3 weeks ago. I started stiff legged deadlifts. Could this be the problem?

Other than that, I have no idea what my problem is. Every other lift is perfectly fine, I feel the muscle doing the lift, I get a pump, I get sore, I progress, I get bigger. Squats have been the total opposite. I squat with perfect form and feel nothing in my quads. It's like a ****in magic trick. WTF??

Thanks in advance.

I have exactly the same problem as him, I don't know what can I do to feel the squats.

sorry guys. didn't know how old the thread was when I posted..
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

post this as a new thread, they'll tell you, "search! this has been covered"

post in a thread you searched for and they'll tell you, "why are you bumping this old thread?"

Quote Originally Posted by imc_1121 View Post
    I have exactly the same problem as him, I don't know what can I do to feel the squats.
    Back squats are a posterior chain movement. That is why you don't feel them in your quads. If you can't increase the weight, you are doing something wrong. You probably need more frequency and more food. And everyone can always improve their form.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Banned
    i struggle very much increaing the weight on squats. i squat around shoulder width and go ass to grass. i just cant squat wide and i feel like the rep shouldnt count unless its ass to grass, but istill can never progress. i cant sit back at all because i feel like im going to fall over and i tried box squats but i felt like iwas doing these wromng.

I feel them in the quads when I narrow my stance.

Try the 20-rep squat thing. Take a weight you can do ten times. Then do 20 squats with that weight without re-racking the weight. You'll definitely feel them!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.