Thread: Newbie here with Newbie questions.

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Newbie here with Newbie questions.

Hey all, new here and I wanted to ask a few questions, since I am really starting to get serious with getting fit.

For the past year or so, I have been on/off with the Atkins diet...I have lost about 20 pounds with it (was 205, now 185...5'9ft). I want to get down to about 170-175.

(Bare with me, I don't know the names of the machines, lol)
    right now I run 15 minutes a day, curls, calf exercises, 2 machines that work the upperbody, and 2 that work the upper back/shoulders.

My repetitions are 3/10, and I up the weight by 10 pounds every time I do a set.

What would be the best routine to not necessarily drop the weight, but gain the muscle? I really want to focus on the upper body, but it seems the routine I am doing, is not enough...I dont do free weights...maybe I should? More reps? Thanks for the help guys!
    www.greenvillefbody.com

"Time to play the game" TheGame's Avatar
    If you want to gain muscle you want to due more weight for less reps, ie......warm up of 12 reps, 1st set of 10 sec. set of 6-8 and last set of 4-6, this seems to be working for me. Everyone has different opinions. I believe that free weights are a must I use free weights cables and machines. I think they each provide diferent positvies for the muscle groups you are working. I work out on a 5 day routine. Monday=chest, Tuesday=back and shoulders=Wednesday=legs, Thursday I train what ever part I think I am lacking at and Friday I train arms. Your diet is just as important and don't forget to drink plenty of water, Welcome Aboard this is the best forum to learn and have fun.
    "No maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself." Rocky 4
    " You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!" Rocky

I might suggest WannaBeBig Routine #1. Details can be found here http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

What i normally do is work from heavy to light weight. I do two heavy sets of 4-8 reps. and two more sets of 12-15 reps. This way you work the slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibres for maximum results.

At the moment you are increasing the weight. Most people work from high weight to low. I suggest reading some articles here or at another bodybuilding websites (IE bodybuilding.com is good)
    Last edited by Andy P; 08-19-2003 at 05:51 AM.