Thread: Not enough bicep exercises?

Wannabebig Member

Not enough bicep exercises?

These are the bicep exercises I do:

Seated Preacher Curls: 3X10 (5 lbs increments)
    21 Curls: 3 sets for each arm (one set = 7 low to mid, 7 mid to high, 7 complete)

My weekly split are as follows:

Monday: Chest/Triceps
    Tuesday: Abs/Back/Lats
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Biceps/Shoulders
    Friday: Forearms/Legs
    Weekends: Rest

As you see, I only work on biceps one time a week, should I go crazy on it? If I want them to get bigger, should I sacrifice number of reps for higher poundage?

Thanks!
    Last edited by tgzo; 08-13-2003 at 10:19 PM.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    you have two small muscle groups paired together, and another muscle group paired with legs, big no no.

your best bet may be a 4 day split where you go one on one off through out the week

day1
    heavy legs

day3
    upperbody, heavy chest,tri,and shoulder
    light back

day3 off

day 4 light legs

day 5 heavy back and biceps, light chest tris and shoulders
    day 6,7 off

this way your biceps get hit a little more often than just once every 7 days, i have gotten out of the train a muscle once a week i try and hit them atleast twice a week, but with different rep schemes and poundages works very well

and you expose your muscles to all types of growth and training, heavy low reps and light with high reps
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Under Construction
    Lose the 21's, do heavy bb curls instead, with good form of course. Also why do you differentiate back and lats?
    Just one guy's opinion.

Wannabebig Member
    you have two small muscle groups paired together, and another muscle group paired with legs, big no no.
    Why big no no?

Lose the 21's, do heavy bb curls instead, with good form of course.
    I assume you said this is because 21's not as effective?

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    its a no no because usually when you have two small muscle groups together you tend to put two larger ones together which is one problem, also tis means you can run a risk of over training as your shoulders are getting hit three times a week with chest, back, and your own shoulder workout.

thats why i said that its always better to pair a smaller muscle group with its large pounter part.

since the shoulder is such a complex joint you can afford to work it twice a week at least.

like chest triceps, and front delts with military presses and side laterais for the side delts

on back day work your rear delts
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Under Construction
    Originally posted by tgzo

I assume you said this is because 21's not as effective?
    Do you do 21 reps for all muscle groups, then go ahead. If you can rep out 21 times, you are going to light. Just do heavy bb curls using a standard rep scheme that works for you. 21s will give you a pump if that is what you want, but that does not mean you will grow.
    Just one guy's opinion.

The Truth
    You need to do high reps occasionally, if you only do low rep you won't grow as much.

Under Construction
    So if you do 21 reps for bis, I assume that you do the same for all muslce groups. High reps are good 8-15 reps or so, but 21 is too high and is not ideal for hypertrophy. If you are after endurance, 21 away.
    Just one guy's opinion.

heavy BB (light-cheating) curls for low reps. These will stimulate the growth that you want.

At least, they're my fav. exercise now because I've noticed the most change from them.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

The Truth
    Originally posted by Big o Boy
    heavy BB (light-cheating) curls for low reps. These will stimulate the growth that you want.

At least, they're my fav. exercise now because I've noticed the most change from them.
    Yea, those are pretty pimp. I like doing them after I've done a set of barbell curls.

"So if you do 21 reps for bis, I assume that you do the same for all muslce groups. High reps are good 8-15 reps or so, but 21 is too high and is not ideal for hypertrophy. If you are after endurance, 21 away."

You gotta hit your slow twitch muscle fibers too! Neglect them and you are missing out on a ton of growth!

21's have different phases, it's really like doing 3 different exercises together, a triset--which is great for growth, and they each have 7 reps.

Bodbuilding really isn't about either or, you do whatever you can to stimulate growth.

I would do more than 6 sets for biceps though, like 8-12 sets.. 45 seconds rest between sets or so. More exercises...Incline dumbell curls, reverse preachers, hammer curls, dumbell curls, lying dumbell curls, incline barbell curls (don't see many do em but they are pretty damn good), reverse curls, concentration curls, and zottman curls are all great just to name a few, you gotta have them in your workout sometime.

Your bi's should be grouped up with back, one of my favorite old gym sayings is "the best bicep routine is a good back routine" However, if you want you can group bi's with anohter large muscle group if you want, and if you do so you'll have to do a little more for your bi's.

21's are a great exercise, but shouldn't be one of the main exercises in your routine, they're more of a "cherry on top" workout. I'd recommend straight bar curls (EZ bars are just that "easy"), allternating dumbell curls, concentration curls and at the end you could do 21's or preacher 21's. But you can mix and match.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

Under Construction
    Originally posted by theomen

21's are a great exercise, but shouldn't be one of the main exercises in your routine, they're more of a "cherry on top" workout. I'd recommend straight bar curls (EZ bars are just that "easy"), allternating dumbell curls, concentration curls and at the end you could do 21's or preacher 21's. But you can mix and match. [/B]
    What are other "cherry on top" exercises? I guess you also do 21's for chest, shoulders, triceps etc. Or maybe the bicep is just a magical muscle and needs 14 partials and 7 full reps to grow..hmmm. I guess if all you are after is a pump, then apply 21's to all of your muslce groups.
    Just one guy's opinion.

I refer to them as "cherry on top" exercises because they are a great addition to a solid routine as they are a shock to the muscle if you've been staying in the 8-12 rep range, but they should not be the basis of said routine.

Other suxh exercises would be the 21 principal for other body parts, and the old stand by of having your last set be a burn out set with medium weight and high reps.
    Last edited by theomen; 08-19-2003 at 01:32 PM.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"

Under Construction
    Originally posted by theomen
    I Other suxh exercises would be the 21 principal for other body parts, and the old stand by of having your last set be a burn out set with medium weight and high reps.
    And what is the point of doing high reps with medium weight? To get a pump? Will this lead to hypertrophy? Sounds like a waste of energy to me.
    Just one guy's opinion.

it isn't a waste of energy, you only do it at the end of your workout and not during every workout. It's just to shock your muscle and CNS.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"