The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlifts and Belts

Before someone goes and tells me to use the Search button, I did and found no clear answer to the question I have. I read some of the thread on belts, but found that most of the debate there was on the safety issue that belts may or not provide.

My question is, whether I should use belts while training or not. Lets say I usually deadlift 335 for reps without a belt. With a belt, which I found helps me quite a bit, I might be able to do reps with 380.

Should I use the belt and lift the heavier weight, or should I just go without the belt and lift the lower weight. Which one would be more beneficial for me whlie training. I don't care about numbers, I just wanna get stronger. Which would tax the muscles more, help me grow, and get stronger better?
    I am cool beyond all natural explanation.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've tried them both ways and I do them beltless. The belt seems to just get in my way. I'm thinking it may have to do with my core strength being considerably stronger than the rest of my body.

I'd say to do whatever feels the best.
    5-9 170

Most of the guys I've spoken with don't get much benefit from the belt on deads. It seems to be more of a factor on squats than anything else. Having said that, if you feel like you will compete in powerlifting and the belt helps then I'd say train with the belt on any heavy attempts.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that you can get that much more poundage out of your deadlift by using a belt though, but whatever you feel most comfortable with is what you should probably use.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I get a good amount out of my belt on both squats and deads. If you want to lift the most weight use it. If you want to work your "core" more, leave it off. I use it on squatting and deadlift movements, but leave it off for goodmornings.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL