Thread: Bigger bench

Hybrid View

Bigger bench

What is the best way to get a bigger bench? I want to gain 40 or 50 pounds on it by the end of this year (or at least a month or two into the next year). Should I do high pounds low rep?

bench heavy!!also work on stablizer muscles and secondary muscles such as shoulders and triceps
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

What are some good triceps workouts? I have been working on my shoulders a lot and they have increased in size and strength.

I haven't bench in a week or two, but did today and the weight was pretty easy (not that much for many of you, but I have only been lifting seriously for a month or a month 1/2). I did a latter type routine with doubles, and did 4 sets with each. I don't know if that will help, but it was a pretty good workout I thought.

Thanks for responding.

Make sure you don't overtrain. (I'm not saying you are. I just know many people are prone to doing that on bench.)
    5-9 170

I was going to work out today, and did a few sets with small reps, but I decided it would be best to rest a day (at least in between, plus its extremely hot in my garage right now, lol.

Im also working on deadlifts and some o-lifts, but I can't do squats very well (well, can't get a good workout) because I don't have a squat rack and I have to lift the bar from the ground.

Thanks.

Originally posted by JNowiski
    I was going to work out today, and did a few sets with small reps, but I decided it would be best to rest a day (at least in between, plus its extremely hot in my garage right now, lol.

Im also working on deadlifts and some o-lifts, but I can't do squats very well (well, can't get a good workout) because I don't have a squat rack and I have to lift the bar from the ground.

Thanks.
    well i think you need to invest in membership to a local gym. you can only do so much at home.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

I don't have the money to do that. Plus, the hunting seasons are about to start in a week or two, so I probably won't be working out as much as I did in the summer.

You want a big bench? go to elitefts.com and read all the articles there on bench pressing.

or go to metalmilita.net

those 2 sites are home to the biggest benchers in the world.

B.

Of course you are a mod here and this is our powerlifting forum. Instead of directing them to another forum you might want to give them some of the knowledge you have gathered. We want to grow this site, not others.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize.

I enjoy this site alot. Im actually interested in Strongman training, but I want to build some basic strength using o-lifts and some powerlifting type training.

I have heard alot about bench shirts and belts and stuff like that and how (at least with the shirt) you can bench a little more than your raw bench, would that help me in the long run?

Wannabebig Member
    If you haven't been training powerlifting before, I think you should see some good gains. I came hear earlier this year, and just wanted to bench more. I started the basic Westside program and bought a short rack to squat for about $200 since my basement is low and started doing sqauts regularly for the first time in my life. I used to have trouble with my back, and after a couple months sqauting it got worse, but now it feels better than ever. I went from benching 330raw to 395 with a single ply shirt in less than 4 months, and every ME workout I go up by at least 5 lbs. This is all done in my basement with my wife for a spotter and I have always been natural. Just do like everyone said and read up and start the Westside program or something like it and give it all you have. I've found if you don't put your all into it or religiously stick to your schedule (i.e. skipping workouts to hunt) you'll never get to where you want to be. You are only going to get out what you put in. If the garage is too hot, don't cut back on the workout, buy a fan from walmart and fill a couple gallons of water and go at it.

I would do 2 things:

1. use a scientific bench press routine, do not guess your working sets

2. do not directly hit your anterior deltoids when training shouders. they get hammered when doing heavy benching

I have read some places to do singles or lower reps with high sets for strength, is this what I should be doing?

I started seriously working out this summer, I have increased my 1RM about 40 or 45 pounds, but im still under 200 ( lol, not very much, but im gonna hit 200 by December at least!). I also gained twenty pounds since working out (and its not because I have been eating more than usually, lol)

P.S. - I usually don't workout on Saturdays, the day I usually go hunting,

Chris, I am not going to spend all day writing out what has been published elsewhere.

If someone knows how to do it. . . go there and print out articles from those sites and post them here so we can get the good info out to the masses.

B.

I went to those site and read some of the articles, I think they will help me alot. Im pretty sure I can get to 200 by the end of the year, probably pretty soon.

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by JNowiski
    I don't have the money to do that. Plus, the hunting seasons are about to start in a week or two, so I probably won't be working out as much as I did in the summer.

hunting season.. sounds fun what do you hunt... ive never hunted but ive always been interested in it man

Im going dove hunting on the first (and probably many more times), I just got a used semi-auto shotgun for it, and I will be whitetail hunting this year, both bow season and gun season.

Hunting is pretty expensive too, so I won't be getting any new hunting gear either.

Hey EatDirt, our statistics out about the same...at least the measurements. Im 16, weigh 160, but I can bench, DL, and Squat more than you (not much more, lol), but your calves are bigger than mine, I can get them extremely hard, but I can't get them any bigger.