Thread: Routine for Men over 55?

Wannabebig Member

Routine for Men over 55?

My father wants to start working out with weights. A few years ago he had a herniated (sp?) disc and has had a lot of stress from work. He has just recently decided to workout. Keep in mind he has never lifted before in his entire life. He is very skinny and has no muscle, you can see most of his ribs and bones. He really only has time to work out 2 days a week. He wants to get in better shape and gain muscle. He is afraid to lift heavy weights or strain himself. What routine would you suggest that he does 2 times per week? In our house we have both a bench with a leg extension/curl machine, some free weights, and a total gym.

I told him that he should do the following routine.

Squats 2 sets x 19 reps
    Deadlifts 2 sets x 19 reps
    Bent Over Rows 2 sets x 9 reps
    Bench Press 2 sets x 9 reps
    Incline Press 2 sets x 9 reps
    Clean and Press 2 sets x 19 reps
    Situps 3 sets x 9 reps
    Reverse Sit ups 3 sets x 9 reps

I figured since he does not want to strain himself he should be doing higher repetitions. He does not necessarily want to get big, but just get into better physical condition. Keep in mind that he has never lifted weights before in his entire life.
    Last edited by Guevara139; 08-20-2003 at 07:57 AM.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34443

Banned
    since hes skinny, have him work on his diet. also, you dont have him exercising his arms or his back, other than deadlift. what about rowing or pull downs? curls? skullcrushers? close grip bench press?

I very much doubt a 55yr old who has never weight trained will have sufficient flexibility to dive straight into squats and deadlifts. I think your program is too advanced, I would break him in a lot more gently, general flexibility and conditioning before anything like that.

Wannabebig Member
    D&G, what types of exercises would you suggest then? I really have no idea what is good for older men. I just took the mass building exercises and suggested that he try doing them twice a week. Im really at a lose as to what to suggest to my father.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34443

My dad is over 55 too, and he has been told to do high volume low intensity work outs. I guess thats so he doesnt break his old bones.

Originally posted by Guevara139
    D&G, what types of exercises would you suggest then? I really have no idea what is good for older men. I just took the mass building exercises and suggested that he try doing them twice a week. Im really at a lose as to what to suggest to my father.
    Get him to try squats and deadlifts with no weight on the bar to look at his flexibility, theres no reason he can't do them but more than likely he will need to build up to them. The average person has back/knee trouble. I would personally get him on a few machines to get used to the resistance aspect whilst looking at form on the free weight exercises, he may well need to work on flexibility and conditioning before he can really apply himself to lifting weights with a purpose.