The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

advice please...

im very confused with a few things now... i want to know what you think is the most affective rep range for hypertrophy and mass gain. I ve heard to keep the ranges from 3, 6-8, and 8-12 can anyone help me out on this and explain what rep ranges are best for what type of training.. thx guys if u can clear this up for me... and sorryfor the multi threads on jus aobut the same subject im jus really confused

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

4-6 is best for strength 8-12 best for body building, is the consensus on the subject. I personally use 8-10 as I feel a much better burn after my 8th rep.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

8-12 is best for mass, anything less strength anything more is a was of time (with few exceptions)
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

thx guys

Also a lot of people max out and so sets consisting of 1-3 reps. are those kinda reps benifical at all or are they just for show?

My last set of flat bench is 1-4 reps always, it's also my heaviest. Once I can do 4 reps I add 10lbs to the bar for that set the next time I workout. I do it so I can see my progress and it keeps me motivated cause I'm lifting heavy weight. I also do this for deadlifts, every other exercise though I start heavy and work the weight down to the bar. Love the burn:evillaugh

edit - If I have a spotter after that last set I always add 10 more pounds just to hit it once. You can really push it with a spotter, love the feeling. I dunno how any of this affects gains, it can't be a bad thing.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 08-23-2003 at 01:07 PM.

Under Construction
    6-10 works well for me.

Also, check out this link

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=70

Basically 5-10 reps is good for hypertrophy.
    Last edited by mpi; 08-23-2003 at 01:37 PM.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    There's no better rep range for hypertrophy, it depends on muscle conditioning. Basically you'll have to use a load that allows you to overcome what's been termed as the "repeated boot effect" that serves to protect the muscle against the stimulus for growth.

The repeated boot effect is what prevents our muscles from getting big from any stimulus, if it wasn't for it our muscles would grow non stop from everyday life and human beings wouldn't be functional at all. Essentially, each time you use a load it gets less and less effective. This effect is also more pronounced the lighter the load is and heavier loads can be used for longer time untill the RBE catches up with you.
    Last edited by restless; 08-23-2003 at 02:37 PM.

5 - 20 is ideal for hypertrophy whether its 5 - 8, 8 - 12, 12 - 15, 15 - 20....it doesnt matter....there is no certain amount of reps that triggers hypertrophy....what matters is progressive loading
    Sychokid trying to solve an equation on AIM:

RolyPolyAA: 3x - 7 < 8.
    RolyPolyAA: okay well
    RolyPolyAA: minus 3x from one side
    RolyPolyAA: to the other
    RolyPolyAA: then take the 8
    WiNgS162k3: lol
    RolyPolyAA: and subtract it to the other side
    RolyPolyAA: and make them have sex
    WiNgS162k3: u dont know what the fvck ur doing!
    RolyPolyAA: until they produce a 69
    RolyPolyAA: and la la alal
    WiNgS162k3: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RolyPolyAA: ;-)

Originally posted by restless
    There's no better rep range for hypertrophy, it depends on muscle conditioning. Basically you'll have to use a load that allows you to overcome what's been termed as the "repeated boot effect" that serves to protect the muscle against the stimulus for growth.

The repeated boot effect is what prevents our muscles from getting big from any stimulus, if it wasn't for it our muscles would grow non stop from everyday life and human beings wouldn't be functional at all. Essentially, each time you use a load it gets less and less effective. This effect is also more pronounced the lighter the load is and heavier loads can be used for longer time untill the RBE catches up with you.
    BUMP didnt see this before i posted...well said mate
    Sychokid trying to solve an equation on AIM:

RolyPolyAA: 3x - 7 < 8.
    RolyPolyAA: okay well
    RolyPolyAA: minus 3x from one side
    RolyPolyAA: to the other
    RolyPolyAA: then take the 8
    WiNgS162k3: lol
    RolyPolyAA: and subtract it to the other side
    RolyPolyAA: and make them have sex
    WiNgS162k3: u dont know what the fvck ur doing!
    RolyPolyAA: until they produce a 69
    RolyPolyAA: and la la alal
    WiNgS162k3: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RolyPolyAA: ;-)

alright thanx guys i think im going to start using reps between 6-8 for a few weeks then bump it up to 8-12

Wannabebig Member
    unfortunatly all these respnces are all guides that are typically correct for most people. Everyone is different and different rep ranges work best at hypertrophy for various body parts for different people. Trial and error my friend. My chest, delts and back grow really fast between 8-15 rep range but my legs grow fastes when using both really low reps (4-6) combined with really high reps (25-100), yes 100. try getting on the hack squatt with no weight and do 100 reps alternating every 25 reps between a super tight stance and a really wide stance. This gave m legs such and increadible pump that I couldn't walk, litterally!!
    Live to train
    Train to Live

Sponcered by: The Method Training Systems

WOW