The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar

Stretching Update

For those of you who fought with me about stretching...

...and there were many of you...

...I thank you for opening my eyes to a new way of thinking.

Stretching the warm muscles is MUCH better. You all were right. I was wrong. I have learned something valuable, allbeit kicking and screaming all the way, but at least I did learn something.

Please understand that sometimes an old dudelikeme can be pretty set in his waysand after doing something for years and years and years... you know what they say... it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

But I'm glad that you still find ways to teach THIS old dog a new trick or two.

Thanks!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Believe it or not, we don't argue just to be pricks (well, I don't. Most of the time).

The information out there now has led to all kinds of new techniques and methods in the exercise science arena, and its always wise to keep your ears open for anything to help out.

Glad you were able to benefit
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

What with all the info, 'facts', tried and tested methods and not forgetting opinions around - changing from one min to the next - It's hard to know what to believe...
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Yeah, that's where I was, too. But I tried what these guys suggested... doing a warmup BEFORE the real stretching.... not stretching cold muscles. I like it! It's much more comfortable to me.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar

not only is it easier, it's what the COOL people do! haha... just kidding: There was a time when the world was considered flat.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Originally posted by J450n83
    What with all the info, 'facts', tried and tested methods and not forgetting opinions around - changing from one min to the next - It's hard to know what to believe...
    Get your basic knowledge straight and its pretty easy

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

That's awesome W8! It takes a big man to make this post after the previous thread. It's just good that you found out something new that helps you get more from your routine.

Keep on rollin'!
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Originally posted by PowerManDL

Get your basic knowledge straight and its pretty easy
    You got 'beef' with me or something? That's twice you've picked me up on my posts... whether nothing was meant by it or not - I was talking in general about the whole confused i.e not knowing what to believe. Thats not to say i don't know what i'm doing. I do my own thing and know what works for me.. just to clear that up.. Sorry for hijacking the thread there for a sec W8
    Last edited by J450n; 08-23-2003 at 08:51 AM.

Oh, it's Ok... I've been guilty of that once or twice, myself...

Originally posted by J450n83

You got 'beef' with me or something? That's twice you've picked me up on my posts... whether nothing was meant by it or not - I was talking in general about the whole confused i.e not knowing what to believe. Thats not to say i don't know what i'm doing. I do my own thing and know what works for me.. just to clear that up.. Sorry for hijacking the thread there for a sec W8
    LOL actually it was totally random.

But if you want me to start picking on you I can

Originally posted by PowerManDL

LOL actually it was totally random.
    Ok, Fair enough

But if you want me to start picking on you I can
    Bring it on ... Nah, i'll give that one a miss if it's all the same...

Under Construction
    I am an old dog too and It takes me a while to break old habits, just comes with age I guess. I used to stretch before workouts also, because back in the day, that is what we did. I stopped doing it a while back and just warmed up the muscles and it is much better. I am much more open too to new ideas lately.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Aww... *group hug*

Ermm..

A sure sign of intelligence is the ability to entertain ideas contrary to your own. When I used to stretch cold, I was never super-aggressive about it, so I'm sure that's why I didn't injure myself very often. I have to say that I'm firmly in the warmup-first camp now.

HEHEHEHE

Originally posted by Tim Nissen
    That's awesome W8! It takes a big man to make this post after the previous thread. It's just good that you found out something new that helps you get more from your routine.

Keep on rollin'!
    :withstupi

You have to respect someone who doesn't let pride get in the way of more important things. Good thread W8.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    A example to everyone here.

dumb 15yrolds

Well, now...it's just one of those things... the fact that so many were willing to battle me over the topic made it so I really couldn't HELP but give it a go... originally, it was to prove to myself how full of sh!t you were for trying to dog me...

I've gotta say, I've learned a lot of things here that way...

What wound up happening is that I (very reluctantly) couldn't find fault and also found the technique to be superior.

It's not the first time, and I am certain it won't be the last, so be prepared.

RuLess- While you were most certainly a fine contributor to that other thread, it was not on your advice that I tried it. I do not and will not take training advice from a 15 year old. This is not a slam, merely a matter of fact.