The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's got a Bumpin' Car System?

I DO! I went to 2 competitions this past year.. placed 3rd in SS601&up class in USACi event with a score of 153.9 db's, and 2nd overall in a local bass comp with a score of 149.8 db's (accurate meter).

I have 2 solo 12's, 2 Memphis 1500d's, 2 optima red's, Alpine deck, stinger wiring, and a badace box tuned to burp at 53 Hz.

It makes some noise for sitting in the trunk of a Ford Taurus.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

dont let the car slow you down, your 5'11
    -deFenDeRs oF thE unDerRateD

If it doesnt make dollars, then it doesnt make sense

I never knew how skinny I was untill I started gaining a little weight

I bet the trunk rattles on that who-ride!
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I used to back in the day. Got 1st in SQ w/all Orion and Clarion stuff. Jerome Woods of the Kansas City Chiefs beat me by half a damn point in best of show. Now I wish I had my money back.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    wth? there's a contest for best sounding car stereo system???
    Agh!!! Armageddon is coming soon!!!
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Re: Who's got a Bumpin' Car System?

Originally posted by Big o Boy
    I DO! I went to 2 competitions this past year.. placed 3rd in SS601&up class in USACi event with a score of 153.9 db's, and 2nd overall in a local bass comp with a score of 149.8 db's (accurate meter).

I have 2 solo 12's, 2 Memphis 1500d's, 2 optima red's, Alpine deck, stinger wiring, and a badace box tuned to burp at 53 Hz.

It makes some noise for sitting in the trunk of a Ford Taurus.

But at the end of the day you still drive home in a Ford Taurus.

Originally posted by CanadianHomer
    I was watching the tube the other day (speed channel) and theres a new contest I saw, engine blowing contest. All you do is buy a really cheap car, put it in neutral, floor the engine and in order to win you have to guess the amount of time it will take before the engine blows up. I thought it was hilarious, but thats me.

Originally posted by CanadianHomer
    It must be coming, especially since you didn't know there were contests for stereos.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

^... thankyou. And I'm not in for best SOUNDING vehicle... I'm in it for the loudest overall roar of the bass.
    But at the end of the day you still drive home in a Ford Taurus.
    wtf is that supposed to mean... I'm talking about stereo here, not bragging about my grandma car.. . For being a grandma car, it has one of the loudest systems around and can rattle people's windows in cars sitting around me at a stoplight. Anyone else have stereo equipment here... or you all just a bunch of gym rats and that's it? I'm a gym rat but on my part-time this is my hobby.

OH, and my trunk doesn't rattle... I have the subs faced forward sealed off from the trunk. windshield/rear-view mirror and roof rattles more than anything else.
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:

Anyone else have stereo equipment here... or you all just a bunch of gym rats and that's it? I'm a gym rat but on my part-time this is my hobby.
    I refer everyone here http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=36027

news flash boy: THERES MORE TO LIFE THAN STEREO EQUIPMENT.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    /pwned.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Originally posted by HahnB

It must be coming, especially since you didn't know there were contests for stereos.
    Damn...

*** Runs and hides***

***peeks out for the Four Horsemen of the Apocylpse***
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Originally posted by RoidRage

:withstupi

the kid from oz
    i cant understand why you would want a stereo to go that loud

when you get out of your car it would be like coming out of a club and not being able to hear anything because the music is so loud and your ears adjust

Originally posted by RoidRage

He'll realize that later.

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

^... thankyou. And I'm not in for best SOUNDING vehicle... I'm in it for the loudest overall roar of the bass.

Why wouldn't you want good sound quality? It's damn near impossible to hear the difference between 140db and 150db. I had awesome sound quality and hit 147db with only two 12's and the car was only in accessory. You aren't one of those guys with 4 15's and a couple BOSS 6X9's in the back dash are you?tuttut You won't win anything but Outlaw SPL with just bass and no sound quality.

Patrick Murray.

Shabang
    My brother has a decent stereo along with alot of his freinds and my freinds. He has 2 12" fusions with a rockford bd1500 amp. He usually hits 150, 151db. He used to compete alot and win but not anymore really. JD77 you say there isnt much difference between 140 and 150? are you nuts? 10db is a huge difference, although i do agree on sound quailty, my bros stereo does sound pretty good to.

Originally posted by Big o Boy Anyone else have stereo equipment here... or you all just a bunch of gym rats and that's it? I'm a gym rat but on my part-time this is my hobby.

i think he is just being sarcastic about the whole gym rat thing, don't take offense to it guys
    Last edited by FFeJ; 08-25-2003 at 01:56 PM.
    "It's a good weight... for a small woman." -Dorian Yates

Originally posted by funkenstein
    My brother has a decent stereo along with alot of his freinds and my freinds. He has 2 12" fusions with a rockford bd1500 amp. He usually hits 150, 151db. He used to compete alot and win but not anymore really. JD77 you say there isnt much difference between 140 and 150? are you nuts? 10db is a huge difference, although i do agree on sound quailty, my bros stereo does sound pretty good to.
    10db isn't that big of a difference to my ears. Heck just adding a port to a sealed box adds 3db and you can hardly tell. Mathmatically it's a huge difference but if you're sitting in a car pounding out 140 and some guy pulls up next to you hitting 150 you won't hear him.

Patrick Murray.

LOL... for someone who has so much to say about stereo you don't know jack $hit.

I'm going to college to major as an electrical engineer and take whatever classes I need to become a technician at a major car audio comp. I research the audio world nearly everyday and I know my stuff. Saying that there's not a big difference between a car bumping 140 db's to 150 db's is just plain ignorance. Every 3 db's the sound multiplies by 2. So that car hitting 150 db's is 3.33 times LOUDER than the car at 140. And your going to hear the 150 db car sitting next to you regardless if your hitting 140 db's. And if your mid's/high's are just screaming in your ears then your going to FEEL that car next to you.

i think he is just being sarcastic about the whole gym rat thing, don't take offense to it guys
    Yea, I was just messing around. Thanks.

Oh.. and although I put my focus on the bass in my vehicle my car does not sound bad by all means. I DO have one of the newer alpine HU's with the V-drive that acts as it's own amplifier with it's own internal x-overs and variables. I can make my factory speakers scream at me if I want them to... and it DOES sound good. And all I would win is Outlaw SPL? Outlaw SPL is a whole different competition than the ones I enter in. Outlaw is where you stick the mic in the port and measure the db's that it hits, and most of the time they don't carry an accurate mic. No I'm not into that, I'm into filling the whole car with sound.

news flash girls: THERE'S MORE TO LIFE THAN LIFTING WEIGHTS. WE ARE JUST TALKING ABOUT HOBBIES HERE.
    ^--- don't take that to offense because I lift weights all the time and am on a strict training schedule that I haven't let go of going on 4 months.

This pisses me off... I just go to talking about my 2nd hobby and I get torn into like I'm some sort of idiot for existing.
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:

I've spent more money on stereo equipment then I care to remember. Now I'd much rather spend the money on getting something that sounds good, rather then just loud.

Good meaning having good front imaging, some nice separates like MB Quart, that sort of thing. I figure one sub would be enough for my volume taste, right now.

That's fine... there's nothing wrong with that. I probably as I get older lean to the high SQ system rather than the loudness. But right now I'm a bass head.
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:

My car radio has 2 10W speakers, and it distorts if you put bass though it.

LOL... for someone who has so much to say about stereo you don't know jack $hit.

I'm going to college to major as an electrical engineer and take whatever classes I need to become a technician at a major car audio comp. I research the audio world nearly everyday and I know my stuff. Saying that there's not a big difference between a car bumping 140 db's to 150 db's is just plain ignorance. Every 3 db's the sound multiplies by 2. So that car hitting 150 db's is 3.33 times LOUDER than the car at 140. And your going to hear the 150 db car sitting next to you regardless if your hitting 140 db's. And if your mid's/high's are just screaming in your ears then your going to FEEL that car next to you.

LOL. Duh, every 3db makes it twice as loud theoretically but that just doesn't translate to reality. Like I said, adding a port adds 3db but it sure as $h!t doesn't sound twice as loud. By your logic, two sounds at 140db equal one at 143db. It doesn't work that way.

From the Hyperphysics website:
    "A widely used "rule of thumb" for the loudness of a particular sound is that the sound must be increased in intensity by a factor of ten for the sound to be perceived as twice as loud. A common way of stating it is that it takes 10 violins to sound twice as loud as one violin . Another way to state the rule is to say that the loudness doubles for every 10 phon increase in the sound loudness level."

That means 10 sounds at 140db would SOUND twice as loud as one at 140. One sound at 150db would not. Although, THEORETICALLY 3db equals twice as loud it isn't true with the human ear. The quote below exlpains why.

" When one sound is produced and another sound is added, the increase in loudness perceived depends upon its frequency relation to the first sound. Insight into this process can be obtained from the place theory of pitch perception. If the second sound is widely separated in pitch from the first, then they do not compete for the same nerve endings on the basilar membrane of the inner ear. Adding a second sound of equal loudness yields a total sound about twice as loud. But if the two sounds are close together in frequency, within a critical band, then the saturation effects in the organ of Corti are such that the perceived combined loudness is only slightly greater than either sound alone."

It's frequency relation would be very similar.....low, i.e. 30 to 60 Hz. Therefore the perceived loudness difference would not be very noticeable. This explains the phenomenon of you being able to hear the mids and highs from the car next to you although it isn't nearly as loud as yours.

Say what you want but I've been to my share of competitions and have my trophies. I've sat in my car pushing my 147db only to shut it off and realize their was one nearby with a dozen 12's hitting in the mid-150's right beside me and I never knew he was there.

Patrick Murray.

Lemme guess... you had your windows rolled up. lol. j/k

And 147 is different than 140. 140 in my oppinion isn't hardly loud therefore you'd definitely hear the car playing 150 sitting next to you.

And you brought up another point. Different frequencies do make a difference on what the human ear considers "loud". a car hitting 150 @ 55 Hz might seem pretty loud, but a car hitting 150 @ 32 Hz is going to seem a helluva lot louder. That's why people at the stereo shop ask the customer what they want out of the sub enclosure.."Loud or to sound good?" Some would say loud but come to find out that they're disappointed not because it's hitting a 145 on the meter, but because it sounds like crap because it's tune to like 60 hz. So he would come back and say he wants something that sounds good. He would be more impressed because the car seems louder and sounds better. But in all actuality(sp), the car meters at 138 at 40 hz. That's probably a bad example but it all just goes to say that their are other factors that go into sound quality and loudness and we are both right/wrong in different ways because sound is a very in depth subject.
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10: