The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Question About Bigger Arms

I'm not trying to be facetious at all here, but every time someone makes a post here about trying to get bigger arms he gets the usual responses:

Reduce volume of arm exercises
    Stop training arms directly for a while
    Squat or deadlift
    Improve the core exercises and your arms will grow
    Get bigger all over
    etc.

These are all theoretically sound, and they make sense but I have one problem. These methods are almost the exact opposite of what I see every 'curl jockey' doing, and these curl jockeys typically have big arms if nothing else. Again, I'm not trying to say you guys are wrong or anything, I'm just trying to understand how these curl jockeys can have such huge arms by training incorectly while many people who take all the advice given here (myself included) are having trouble getting their arms to grow

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Re: Question About Bigger Arms

Originally posted by thetopdog
    I'm not trying to be facetious at all here, but every time someone makes a post here about trying to get bigger arms he gets the usual responses:

Squat or deadlift
    Get bigger all over
    etc.

These are all theoretically sound, and they make sense but I have one problem. These methods are almost the exact opposite of what I see every 'curl jockey' doing, and these curl jockeys typically have big arms if nothing else. Again, I'm not trying to say you guys are wrong or anything, I'm just trying to understand how these curl jockeys can have such huge arms by training incorectly while many people who take all the advice given here (myself included) are having trouble getting their arms to grow
    Funny how "every" (your word) curl jockey you know has huge arms. Don't you know at least one or two with medium-sized arms? What do you consider huge?

As for reasons here are a few. Some people have good genetics and can grow like weeds on incorrect training. Some of these are curl jockeys and develop big arms. Some people engage in chemical enhancement and again only work arms. And some people can get a large "pump" which makes their arms look bigger, but is only temporary. And again some people's perspective of "huge" differs. I would say that "huge" for me would be around the 18 inch mark or over.

I have been in many gyms and trained with many people. I have seen any number of curl jockeys, but only two with arms that I would consider "huge". I am sure there are more out there, but relatively few compared to the guys who are big all over. You will never see some 170 lb curl jockey with real 20 inch arms.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at people at the gym is you really don't know how long it's taken them to get where there are today. They may have big arms, but it may have taken them years to get there. And if they are doing things wrong, they probably would have gotten there sooner. Although, I think the advice you get here like, "stop training, lower volume, squat yada yada yada" is a bit general. And on top of that, you can't believe everything you read or hear. There's just as much bad advice as there is good advice coming from here. That's just the naked truth. Anybody can sign up and post their thoughts. You really have to find out what works for you, Thetopdog. Maybe what you hear suggested will work, maybe it won't. But on the flip side, don't be too quick to dismiss the suggestions just because you see guys at the gym curling like mad. Because you don't know what it's taken them to get there or how long.

At best, it's good that you're questioning what you're reading. It's going to save you from making mistakes in your training.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

If 'every' curl jocky has big arms, I think your definition of 'big arms' might not be the same as many of ours.

Big arms compared to the average non-lifter? You bet.

Heve you ever seen someone who can squat 400 pounds? bench 300?

How about squat 500, and bench 400?

What do their arms look like?

Ever seen someone at a lean (10%) 225 pounds? 250?

What do thier arms look like?

Sometimes, the correct response to 'how do I make my arms get bigger?' is curl more. But usually, someone asking that question needs to be told to squat.

I agree its good to see you question things. You should.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Re: Question About Bigger Arms

Originally posted by thetopdog

Squat or deadlift
    Get bigger all over
    etc.

Personally, I think you have a point. I've noticed plenty of people with decent (I wouldn't say huge) arms who have spindly little legs (usually their whole upper body is decent) I snicker and point at them (I'm an asshole)

But, I think frequency and volume can make a difference and if one isn't training the rest of his body, it is possible more of his 'recuperative abilities' (I hate to lump stuff into one category like this) can go towards the things he is training.

I'd agree with others that the best route to big arms is working hard on the big exercises. But, if you're already working hard on leg pressing/deadlifting/squatting, rows/chins, benches/dips and you're arms still seem to be lagging, increased frequency and/or volume might help.

I personally have used this (and continue to) as my arms pretty much suck. I tried dropping any direct arm work (when I was into HIT) and it just made them smaller. Increasing my frequency and volumen (though, not too excessively) has worked well for me. They're still not impressive, but they're much better than they were.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

hi
    hey most guys that are "curl jockeys" are really quite small. there arms just look big cuase there core parts are small. i always complain about the size of my arms even though they are 20 inches. compaired to the rest of my body, they look smaller. you take a dude with the same size arms and is skinny, they are gonna look diesel.
    on the training, one arm day a week, 3 -4 exercises each, 7-12 reps each, and always go for the pump. squeeze at the top of every movement (just for a second). Get over the ego **** and lower the weight. I used to through around heavy curls with 185 for 3's - really sloppy. now i use 100 for 12-15 with perfect form with great results. i found real arm growth when i overcame the numbers game and focused on the perfect form and squeeze.

Always bad with diet
    Case in point. I work out with a friend of mine who thinks you need to do 20 sets of biceps every 4 days to get big arms. I would try to tell him that he was overworking and needed to do less volume and get more rest. Well he now has some pretty big guns, bigger and fuller than mine, and i envy that cuz my bi's have always been weak. I think it may be genetics though because we are very similar in bodyfat but except for his arms being superior to my own the rest of my body, chest, shoulders, legs are way superior in comparison to his. Its weird.

Meh. The trick is heavy pulling and pressing movements. Throw in a little direct work if you want.

Of course I say that and everyone's gonna say "but we do that LOLOLOL!!!"

But the trick is, as B&I alluded, to use a proper volume and frequency. Training a part 2-3 times a week, assuming you're keeping the volume in check, is probably the best way to do it, in conjunction with your core movements.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

how the heck do squats help your biceps? I've never heard that

Originally posted by jock227
    The point is after squatting and doing all your other core movements and eating a lot that is what is going to make your body grow, along with your arms.

Nobody is saying that you can just squat , and only squat and have a ****ty diet and do no other exersises and have huge arms.

What we mean is that if you have everything else in check(compound lifts, diet) and you squat, it's going to help you gain weight-everywhere, more or less that's how you get bigger.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

lol

trial and error is how you get bigger arms. bigger everything.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Re: Re: Question About Bigger Arms

Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic

You will never see some 170 lb curl jockey with real 20 inch arms.
    Just because you said that, I will be the first!
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Re: Re: Re: Question About Bigger Arms

Originally posted by Big o Boy

Just because you said that, I will be the first!

I hate to nitpick here, but if you squat and deadlift (as in your sig) you are NOT and will NEVER be a curl jockey.

Originally posted by jock227
    Squats and leg work in general stimulate a greater release of growth hormone, and other muscle building agents due to the large size of the muscle group. This, along with a decent diet and workout regimen for the rest of the body will lead to a lot of growth all over the body.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

My belief is arms should have one day alone to themselves using opposing movements. Curls followed be tri extension in a superset fashion. JMO

I agree with Volcamp. I take a whole day for my arms. Low reps, heavy weight. Biceps first, Triceps and then Forearms. Stick to basic movements.
    BB Curls, Alt. Dumbell Curls, Concentration Curls
    Skull Crushers, Tri Pushdown, DB Tri Extentsion
    Wrist Curls, Rev Wrist Curls

I try not to do more than 3 sets of each with heavy weight. I try to stay in the 4-6 rep range. If I can get to 8 reps I go up in weight.

Good luck.
    August 1, 2006 240lbs
    August 25, 2006 276lbs
    September 1, 2006 286lbs
    December 25, 2006 328lbs

TRYING TO BUILD A MONSTER

I hate to nitpick here, but if you squat and deadlift (as in your sig) you are NOT and will NEVER be a curl jockey.
    ahh... hell. I quit.
    Last edited by Big o Boy; 08-27-2003 at 11:29 PM.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate