Thread: Basic principles of training - READ THIS -

Basic principles of training - READ THIS -

Anyone who is interested in training and/or designing their own program should definitely read this article by Dr Squat

http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?act...e&articleID=38

There are several basic tenets of training, that from my own personal experience and education, I'm turning into a believer of.

in short:

1. The principle of individual differences
    2. The overcompensation principle
    3. The overload principle
    4. The SAID principle
    5. The use/disuse principle
    6. The specificity principle
    7. The GAS principle

Of course, many experienced trainers know this already, but in lieu of the countless posts asking "what do you think of this system?" by those new to resistance training, I suggest you read up on this article and self-examine your own routine or that which you are thinking of embarking on first.

The ISSA manual discusses various popular training system out there (e.g. HIT, POF, German Volume etc etc) and highlights how these systems live up to or fall short of these principles. No HST though, seeing how it's such a new thing, but in my own opinion, it follows these tenets more than any other that I've come across in terms of hypertrophy training.

due to legal reasons, I cannot post up what the ISSA manual states, but anyone interested can PM me

cheers!
    Last edited by Qea; 08-28-2003 at 01:19 AM.
    Don't eat the yellow snow

Where does HST fit in to that lot?
    Crazy looking intimidatiing meathead with no neck - MadFistBT

hmm.. as far as i can tell, (and I might be wrong too, just so you know)

rule#

3 - overloading is relative. Adding 5lbs to a lift to an deconditioned muscle (as HST suggests) has more effect than on a conditioned one. HST 'tricks' the body to believe that the increase in weight (although to submaximal degree) is more than it usually is able to handle.

2 - this method of loading creates the overcompensation effect (i.e. hypertrophy)

5 - The idea of strategic deconditioning the body comes from this principle

6 - well, HST IS specific to hypertrophy. The HST site articles and FAQ at the forum explains how the training system is designed for hypertrophy gains more than anything else. Although people have claimed to gain in strength as well.

7 - GAS states that periods of high intensity should be followed by those of lower intensity. With HST, you max out once every 2 weeks (or 6 sessions, whatever). Following that, you start out light again and work up. do the math

that's as much as i can venture. Of course, as I said again, I might be wrong, so flame away
    Last edited by Qea; 08-28-2003 at 02:11 AM.
    Don't eat the yellow snow