The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

5 weeks to prepare for the Army

I'm shipping out to Ft. Sill Oklahoma in 5 weeks to attend Army Basic Training. Needless to say it will be fairly physically grueling. Over the past year I've been working out pretty steadily with free weights and swimming about 2-3 times a week. But now it's crunch time and I really need to kick things into high gear. When I ran track in high school i remember getting in competition shape after lazy winters in only a month, so I know that I'm capable of whipping myself into top-notch shape. And, since I'm not doing anything at all for 5 weeks I have tons of time to dedicate to doing this.

My main concern however is overtraining. My current plan right now is this:

Monday: Wake up at 7-8 A.M. Eat a banana, then head to the gym and run in the indoor track. Will alternate b/w distance and sprinting, but will focus more heavily on endurance. Later on in the day, around 5:30 PM, I'll head back and do my chest and back lift day as recommended in the WBB Routine #2

Tuesday: Wake up at 7-8 A.M. Eat that banana. Then swim, focusing on distance and endurance

Wendsday: Run in morning, then lower body work in evening.

Thursday: Swim in morning

Friday: Run in morning, WBB Routine #2 arms and shoulder day in evening

Saturday: Swim swim swim

Sunday: Fart around and rest.

Just wondering if some people think that this will be overtraining, or if I should be in the clear. Also wondering when I should stop training in order to let my body recuperate. You see, when you ship out you don't start Basic Training right away. I'll be in reception for 10 days when you are FORBIDDEN from working out (insurance reasons I think) and just stand on your feet for all day. 8-10 hours of standing can be physically tough. So I originally planned on stopping the workout routine a week before ship out, but given the ten days as reception perhaps it'll be better to workout until the day before I ship out? I'm somewhat concerned about this as the constant standing for 10 days at reception, as well as the stress I'll be under, may inhibit my body from fully recovering in time for the start of basic.

Thanks a lot for any replies

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    hey yo. sounds like ur on the right track, armed services mostly focus on aerobic fitness as opposed to anything else. being able to run 8 min miles and do at least 50 each of pushups and situps are a must. if you are in fairly good shape (which it seems like you are) you shouldnt have any trouble. just keep your stress level in check and youll be fine. good luck man...welcome to the family.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

It will definitely be overtraining if you only eat two bananas a day. Think about it.

Wannabebig Member
    Heh, nah, not just eating two bananas. Just a little something to get my blood moving in the mornings. Thinking of not eating anything in the morning until after I've worked out since that's what they do in the Army. I'll probably stick with 5 meals a day. The small pre-workout meal, a big breakfast, lunch, dinner, then a snack later in the evening.

Pushups, pullups, situps and running.

One MAJOR thing you can do to help ease you into basic is to get your feet hardened up. Do you have your gear already? If so wear your boots constantly to break em in.

Way back when i did basic I found that my feet gave me the worst problems (blisters).

Wannabebig Member
    This is off topic but.. Spiffy..I'm in the DEP program too right now.. Waiting until October 7th to go to benning for 4 months.. But has your recruiting station been having training classes and stuff with you like on first aid and land navigation and stuff? I enlisted like 4 months ago and just today I'm finding out that there was this stuff to go to, for some reason they never bothered to tell me about them when I'd ask them if there was anything like that that I had been reading about in the books and stuff..

I think I would just drink a lot between now and then. JK

Bail Enforcement Agent kathnmarc's Avatar
    Dude, just relax, it is easier than you think. As far as boots and blisters, just take a fair amount of moleskin with you and blisters will not be a problem. As long as you are in decent shape, you will do fine. And remember, it's all a mind game, lay low, do what you're told, and the drill instructors will never even know your name until the read it off at graduation.
    Height: 5' - 10"
    Weight: 220 lbs
    Chest: 49"
    Waist: 35"
    Quads: 27.5"
    Bi/Tri: 18"

Bench: 305 x 1
    Barbell Curl: 160 x 1

Banned
    Originally posted by STM
    Pushups, pullups, situps and running.

One MAJOR thing you can do to help ease you into basic is to get your feet hardened up. Do you have your gear already? If so wear your boots constantly to break em in.

Way back when i did basic I found that my feet gave me the worst problems (blisters).
    I tend to agree; I wouldn't bother with weight training, I'd focus on running and doing calisthenics style exercises; when i did my basic course, I was strong from weight training but I lacked endurance for running and had issues with running 10k....

I think practicing running in combat boots is a great idea, head down to the surplus store and pick up a pair... if you have problems with blisters, use the cold cream trick and lots of foot powder... change your socks as often as you can

kathnmarc has it right about dealing with the instructors as well; remember that it's TRAINING, not PERSONAL and just do the best you can and don't cause problems.

You may also want to look up someone who has been in the service, or at least air cadets or something. Learn how to spitshine boots and how to turn out a uniform properly.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Concentrate on pushups, situps and running. Pullups are a great suggestion as well. During your initial training, you will do 1,000's of pushups and situps and you'll run 100's of miles. Be prepared.

Unless things have changed since I was in, you will have PT tests, in which you will have 2 minutes to do as many pushups as you can, 2 minutes to do as many situps as you can, and you'll be tested on the 2 mile run. This will continue throughout your military career.

When you practice running, you might want to consider putting a weighted back pack on. You'll do the "airborne shuffle" like this ALL the freakin' time.

GOOD LUCK!!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

You may also want to look up someone who has been in the service, or at least air cadets or something. Learn how to spitshine boots and how to turn out a uniform properly.
    WORD.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

You could try something like this navy seal program I found
    (it was on the seal website, but now its not because they dont wanna get sued if someone gets injured on the routine) I found it though (google cache)
    Its in two parts, ill post them seperately.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

CATEGORY I WORKOUT

The Category I Workout is designed for individuals who have not recently, or have never, participated in a routine physical training (PT) program.

Remember: Category I is a progressive, nine-week program. Follow the workout to the best of your ability and you will be amazed at the progress you make.

Running
    Most of the physical activities you will be required to perform during your six months of training at BUD/S involve running. Intense running can lead to stress injuries of the lower extremities in trainees who arrive unprepared for it. Swimming, bicycling, and weight training will prepare you for some of the activities at BUD/S, but ONLY running can prepare your legs for the rigors of the BUD/S program. You should also become accustomed to running in boots, a daily BUD/S activity. Select a lightweight boot such as Bates Lights.

The running distance goal of the Category I student is to work up to 16 miles per week. After you have achieved this goal, you will be ready to tackle the Category II goal of 30 miles per week.

CATEGORY I RUNNING SCHEDULE

Week 1 Monday, Wednesday, Friday; 2 miles per day, 8:30 pace 6 miles/week
    Week 2 Monday, Wednesday, Friday; 2 miles per day, 8:30 pace 6 miles/week
    Week 3 No running. High risk of stress fractures
    Week 4 Monday, Wednesday, Friday; 3 miles per day 9 miles/week
    Week 5 Monday - 2 mi, Tuesday - 3 mi, Thursday - 4 mi, Friday - 2 mi 11 miles/week
    Week 6 Monday - 2 mi, Tuesday - 3 mi, Thursday - 4 mi, Friday - 2 mi 11 miles/week
    Week 7 Monday - 4 mi, Tuesday - 4 mi, Thursday - 5 mi, Friday - 3 mi 16 miles/week
    Week 8 Monday - 4 mi, Tuesday - 4 mi, Thursday - 5 mi, Friday - 3 mi 16 miles/week
    Week 9 Monday - 4 mi, Tuesday - 4 mi, Thursday - 5 mi, Friday - 3 mi 16 miles/week

CATEGORY I PHYSICAL TRAINING SCHEDULE
    Monday, Wednesday, and Friday

Sets of Repetitions
    Week 1 4x15 push-ups; 4x20 sit-ups; 3x3 pull-ups
    Week 2 5x20 push-ups; 5x20 sit-ups; 3x3 pull-ups
    Week 3 5x25 push-ups; 5x25 sit-ups; 3x4 pull-ups
    Week 4 5x25 push-ups; 5x25 sit-ups; 3x4 pull-ups
    Week 5 6x25 push-ups; 6x25 sit-ups; 2x8 pull-ups
    Week 6 6x25 push-ups; 6x25 sit-ups; 2x8 pull-ups
    Week 7 6x30 push-ups; 6x30 sit-ups; 2x10 pull-ups
    Week 8 6x30 push-ups; 6x30 sit-ups; 2x10 pull-ups
    Week 9 6x30 push-ups; 6x30 sit-ups; 3x10 pull-ups
    Note: for best results, alternate exercise. Do a set of push-ups, then a set of sit-ups, followed by a set of pull-ups. Do not rest between sets.

CATEGORY I SWIMMING SCHEDULE
    (Sidestroke with no fins, 4-5 days per week)

Week 1 Swim continuously for 15 minutes
    Week 2 Swim continuously for 15 minutes
    Week 3 Swim continuously for 20 minutes
    Week 4 Swim continuously for 20 minutes
    Week 5 Swim continuously for 25 minutes
    Week 6 Swim continuously for 25 minutes
    Week 7 Swim continuously for 30 minutes
    Week 8 Swim continuously for 30 minutes
    Week 9 Swim continuously for 35 minutes
    Notes: If you have access to a pool, swim as often as possible. Your initial work-up goal is 4-5 days per week and 200 meters distance per session. Develop your sidestroke on both right and left sides. Try to swim 50 meters in one minute or less.

If you DON'T have access to a pool, ride a bicycle for twice as long as the recommended swim duration.

CATEGORY II WORKOUT

The Category II Workout is designed for individuals who currently perform regular physical training (PT). Athletes who participate in sports requiring a high degree of cardiovascular fitness -- such as swimming, running, and wrestling -- generally fall into Category II. The Category II workout is also appropriate for individuals who have completed the Category I program.

Do not attempt this workout schedule unless you can complete the Week 9 level of the Category I workout.

Running

Most of the physical activities you will be required to perform during your six months of training at BUD/S involve running. Intense running can lead to stress injuries of the lower extremities in trainees who arrive unprepared for it. Swimming, bycycling, and weight training will prepare you for some of the activities at BUD/S, but ONLY running can prepare your legs for the rigors of the BUD/S program. You should also become accustomed to running in boots, a daily BUD/S activity. Select a lightweight boot such as Bates Lights.

Week 1 Mon - 3 mi, Tues - 5 mi, Thurs - 4 mi, Fri - 5 mi, Sat - 2 mi 19 miles/week
    Week 2 Mon - 3 mi, Tues - 5 mi, Thurs - 4 mi, Fri - 5 mi, Sat - 2 mi 19 miles/week
    Week 3 Mon - 4 mi, Tues - 5 mi, Thurs - 6 mi, Fri - 4 mi, Sat - 3 mi 22 miles/week
    Week 4 Mon - 4 mi, Tues - 5 mi, Thurs - 6 mi, Fri - 4 mi, Sat - 3 mi 22 miles/week
    Week 5 Mon - 5 mi, Tues - 5 mi, Thurs - 6 mi, Fri - 4 mi, Sat - 4 mi 24 miles/week
    Week 6 Mon - 5 mi, Tues - 6 mi, Thurs - 6 mi, Fri - 6 mi, Sat - 4 mi 27 miles/week
    Week 7 Mon - 6 mi, Tues - 6 mi, Thurs - 6 mi, Fri - 6 mi, Sat - 6 mi 30 miles/week
    Notes: For Weeks 8 and beyond, you need not increase the distance of your runs. Instead, work on the speed of your 6-mile runs with an eye toward decreasing your time to 7:30 per mile or less.

If you wish to increase the distance of your runs, DO SO GRADUALLY. Do not increase your distance more than one mile per day for every week beyond Week 9.

CATEGORY II PHYSICAL TRAINING SCHEDULE
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Sets of Repetitions
    Week 1 6x30 push-ups; 6x35 sit-ups; 3x10 pull-ups; 3x20 dips
    Week 2 6x30 push-ups; 6x35 sit-ups; 3x10 pull-ups; 3x20 dips
    Week 3 10x20 push-ups; 10x25 sit-ups; 4x10 pull-ups; 10x15 dips
    Week 4 10x20 push-ups; 10x25 sit-ups; 4x10 pull-ups; 10x15 dips
    Week 5 15x20 push-ups; 15x25 sit-ups; 4x12 pull-ups; 15x15 dips
    Week 6 20x20 push-ups; 20x25 sit-ups; 5x12 pull-ups; 20x15 dips
    Notes: These workouts are designed for long-distance muscle endurance. By performing high-repetition workouts, muscle fatigue will gradually take longer to develop.

For best results, alternate exercises each set to rest affected muscle groups for a short period.

Once you've met Categories I and II running and PT standards, you may vary your exercise program with the pyramid and swimming workouts below.

CATEGORY II SWIMMING SCHEDULE
    (4-5 days per week)

Week 1 Swim continuously for 35 minutes
    Week 2 Swim continuously for 35 minutes
    Week 3 Swim continuously for 45minutes
    Week 4 Swim continuously for 45 minutes
    Week 5 Swim continuously for 60 minutes
    Week 6 Swim continuously for 75 minutes
    Notes: When starting with fins, alternate swimming 1000 meters with fins and 1000 meters without. This will reduce initial stress on your foot muscles.

Your goal is to swim 50 meters in 45 seconds or less.

Pyramid Workouts

You can apply the pyramid method to any exercise. The object is to gradually build towards a target, then ease down to the level at the workout start. For instance, pull-ups, sit-ups, and push-ups can be alternated as in previous workouts. But with the pyramid workout, choose a numerical goal and build up to it. In the sample table below, each number counts as a set. Work your way up and down the pyramid. The sample goal below is five sets.

SAMPLE PYRAMID WORKOUT
    Goal: 5 Sets

Number of Repetitions
    Pull-ups 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    Push-ups 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 (2x the # of pull-ups)
    Sit-ups 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 12, 9, 6, 3 (3x the # of pull-ups)
    Dips 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Stretch PT

Since Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are devoted to PT, dedicate at least 20 minutes on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday to stretching. Always stretch for at least 15 minutes before beginning any workout. Just stretching the previously worked muscles will make you more flexible and less likely to get injured.

Start your stretch at the top of your body and work downward. Stretch every muscle in your body from neck to calves, concentrating on your thighs, hamstrings, chest, back, and shoulders.

Stretch to tightness, not to pain. Hold the stretch for 10-15 seconds. DO NOT BOUNCE.

Im guessing you'd be best off doing something like the advanced part with a bit less swimming.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

i just finished bootcamp. and all i can say to you is, start RUNNING!!!! theres no real need to work with weights when trying to prepare for bootcamp. trust me, you do not want to be a 'buff' guy there. concentrate mainly on running, situps, pushups and pullups.

and you wont get any blisters if you use two socks. one thin lycra sock and one woolen sock. it also helps keeping your feet dry.
    Last edited by Centaurion; 09-07-2003 at 05:47 AM.

On a side note, Ide like to thank all the brave individuals who elect to serve our country in the US armed forces. Its the hard work these people who risk, and sometimes give thier lives so the rest of us can live in a free society. When I think of those fighting for freedom I get such a great feeling it gives me goose bumps. Thanks again. Onward...........................

Forget about weight training..

When I joined the army--9 years ago-- I was buff and big...I used to weigh 219 lb and after 2 months I got down to 190 lb...

RUN< SIT UPS AND PUSH UPS....

Lean and mean.....

Do not stand out...

Lean and mean... do not stand out.... that's right.

running, pushups, situps.

When i did basic training, I lifted weights MAYBE twice.