The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Please Critique My Routine

I last posted three months ago when I first started working out. I've gone from 180 lbs and 19% body fat to 162 lbs and 15% body fat. That's with lifting 3-4 times a week and doing 20 minute cardio sessions 2-3 times a week. My lifts consisted of 3 sets, 12-15 reps on small muscles and 10-12 reps on larger muscles.

I'm beginning a Creatine cycle September 1st and wanted to get a critique of my new routine. It's a variation on my current one, adding a few new exercises as well as a incline chest day. All lifts will be 3 sets, 8-10 reps.

By the way, i'm 5'9 and 22 years old. Here's the routine:

Day 1: Chest and Triceps

Bench Press
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Hammer Chest Press
    Seated Lever Flys
    Lying Triceps Extension
    Pushdowns
    Hammer Triceps Extension
    Dips

Day 2: Back and Biceps

Cable Front Pulldowns
    Cable Rear Pulldowns
    Seated Cable Row
    Hammer High Row
    Dumbbell Shrugs
    Dumbbell Curls
    Preacher Curls
    Concentration Curls
    Pull-ups

Day 3: Incline Chest & Abs

Incline Bench Press
    Incline Dumbbell Press
    Incline Standing Cable Fly
    Incline Hammer Press
    Any Abs Exercises

Day 4: Shoulders and Legs

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Upright Barbell Row
    Dumbbell Raise
    Hammer Press
    Squats
    Standing Leg Curl
    Leg Extension
    Calf Raises

Let me know what you think.
    "I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death" -
    Nasir Jones

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    ?
    Nasir Jones

looks good but make sure ur puttin soem rest ays inbetween there u dont want to overtrain

I agree with eatdirt40. Put a rest day in between day 2 and 3 and then two after day 4 if you're not already. On your off days you could do cardio. I suggest that because it looks like your days in the gym might be near 1 1/2 hours.

Oh my goodness! Did I just say I agree with eat?!?

J/K ED40
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Wannabebig Member
    My split will go:

Monday: Chest & Tri's
    Tuesday: Back & Bi's
    Wednesday: Cardio
    Thursday: Incline Chest & Abs
    Friday: Cardio
    Saturday: Shoulders & Legs, maybe Cardio
    Sunday: Off
    Nasir Jones

Wannabebig Member
    Does this split seem good?
    Nasir Jones

Originally posted by Badbry
    My split will go:

Monday: Chest & Tri's

Thursday: Incline Chest & Abs
    Oh dear.

Also if your doing cardio after legs you aren't training legs hard enough.

The rest day for sure. On the chest work, I would not do both flat bench and flat DB presses. I would switch one of them for an incline move like flys or DB press.

Sorry, I looked at your routine again and see you are doing incline stuff but all on same day. I would mix them up. do some of both on each chest day. JMO

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Re: Please Critique My Routine

I . All lifts will be 3 sets, 8-10 reps.

Day 1: Chest and Triceps

Bench Press
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Hammer Chest Press
    Seated Lever Flys
    Lying Triceps Extension
    Pushdowns
    Hammer Triceps Extension
    Dips

Day 2: Back and Biceps

Cable Front Pulldowns
    Cable Rear Pulldowns
    Seated Cable Row
    Hammer High Row
    Dumbbell Shrugs
    Dumbbell Curls
    Preacher Curls
    Concentration Curls
    Pull-ups

Day 3: Incline Chest & Abs

Incline Bench Press
    Incline Dumbbell Press
    Incline Standing Cable Fly
    Incline Hammer Press
    Any Abs Exercises

Day 4: Shoulders and Legs

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Upright Barbell Row
    Dumbbell Raise
    Hammer Press
    Squats
    Standing Leg Curl
    Leg Extension
    Calf Raises

Let me know what you think.
    That seems like an insane number of sets for chest. 27 in one week? That's more than even Arnold would usually do. As for triceps you are doing at least 30 sets for them (when you work chest you usually work triceps unless you are doing flyes).
    That is way too much.
    Plus when you work chest, you work shoulders. When you work back you work shoulders. Plus you have a shoulder day too. The amount of work that you are putting your shoulders through is about 40-44 sets in one week. That is WAY TOO MUCH and it WILL injure you. The only question is when. Also pulls behind the neck are quite iffy and I would not risk doing them. Too much potential for injury.

First off do not do any more than three exercises for each large muscle group. Nine sets is more than enough for say chest. Pick ONE exercise for the smaller muscle groups (like triceps for example) Remember that they ALREADY have been worked during chest. They have already helped throughout nine sets or so. The goal is to train the muscle, not destroy it.

Next only train chest once a week. You DO NOT need to focus on "upper chest" Heavy benching (to use one example) works the ENTIRE chest. You just need to put in the time.

The leg day looks good...but put it by itself. Also take at least one rest day off between training major muscle groups.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-28-2003 at 08:58 AM.

I'd take something out and add deadlifts for sure somewhere in there. I've been doing these for like 3 weeks now and I feel stronger overall, killer exercise it is a must do IMO.

Wannabebig Member
    I think i'll take out the behind-the-neck pulls and replace them with deadlifts. I'll also mix up flat chest with incline.

In regards to ExtremeAnabolic's comments, i've heard so many philosophies on sets and reps my head is spinning. My friend recommended this chest routine to me because my chest is a joke. And this is coming for a guy my age and around the same size whose chest is HUGE. Many people seem to say it's too many and others say it's perfect. My current routine has has a similar amount of sets and reps and I havn't experienced any major soreness or injuries and somewhat considerable progress. I'm hoping the creatine cycle will help me even more.

Should I take out one chest exercise from each day?
    Nasir Jones

I think i'll take out the behind-the-neck pulls and replace them with deadlifts. I'll also mix up flat chest with incline.

In regards to ExtremeAnabolic's comments, i've heard so many philosophies on sets and reps my head is spinning. My friend recommended this chest routine to me because my chest is a joke. And this is coming for a guy my age and around the same size whose chest is HUGE. Many people seem to say it's too many and others say it's perfect. My current routine has has a similar amount of sets and reps and I havn't experienced any major soreness or injuries and somewhat considerable progress. I'm hoping the creatine cycle will help me even more.

Cool you will like the deadlifts, here is a killer animation+explanation. http://www.theministryoffitness.com/...s/deadlift.htm
    Also I workout like you I think that's a good number of sets, we do about the same number of sets per week but our routines are completely different.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 08-28-2003 at 09:28 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Remember just because a routine worked for your friend, does not mean it will work for you. I know you have heard many "philosophies on sets and reps" but let us forget about philosophies for a moment. Your routine has you doing more work for shoulders and triceps than it has for chest or back or legs. Your chest, back and legs are much larger and stronger muscles and yet you are doing more work for the smaller and weaker muscles that are shoulders and triceps. Surely that alone should tell you, that you are doing something wrong.