Thread: Typical diet for muscle building?

Wannabebig Member

Typical diet for muscle building?

Well im doing WBB routine #2 and wanted to know whats an ideal diet while doing this routine. How much protein and calories etc should i be intaking. Thanks

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
    1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) ~25% of daily calories should come from fat (remember to include some essential fatty acids)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except pre/postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, poultry, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables, fruit

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly increase cals in small increments until you are gaining the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 2000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to increase cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2300 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have gained (if any). Repeat this process until you are gaining about .5-1 lb per week. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

As far as routines go you might want to check out one of the WBB routines on the main page. The following site has a list of exercise illustrations that might be helpful as well www.exrx.net

There is a lot of information in previous threads as well. Run some searches and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

This thread may also be of some help.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/sho...ht=grocery+list

Wannabebig Member
    thanks alot just wanted to make sure though..1 gram of protien per lb of my body is that weekly?

no, that's 1g/lb daily

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    squats
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

Wannabebig Member
    how many carbs should i be taking in daily?

Originally posted by BEN
    how many carbs should i be taking in daily?
    There is no set amount of carbs that you should be consuming each day. The easiest way to determine your carb intake is to first figure up how many cals of protein and fat that you need, and then carbs can make up the remainder of your daily calories.

Some people have better results with lower carbs and higher fat, while others prefer a higher carb intake with lower fat. I would recommend just varying your carb/fat intake from week to week until you find out what works best for you.

what do you guys think about the routine saying high GI carbs pre workout? I don't agree :/
    Author: VOET D ET AL
    Publisher: WILEY
    Edition: 1E99
    Binding:APN: 9780471586500 or ISBN(0471586501)
    RRP: 124.95

Originally posted by CoASH
    what do you guys think about the routine saying high GI carbs pre workout? I don't agree :/
    Yes, I think that a small amount of high GI carbs and protein consumed immediately before training is a valid nutritional stategy. Do you have any reasons that you do not agree with this strategy?

I would have thought you'd want more complex carbs to release energy throughout duration of your workout
    with the high GI wouldn't you get tired before the end of your w/o?
    Author: VOET D ET AL
    Publisher: WILEY
    Edition: 1E99
    Binding:APN: 9780471586500 or ISBN(0471586501)
    RRP: 124.95

Naw way :P

Take Complex any other non-w/o time and then take simples pre/post w/o. You want it to be used instantly during training.

<=New Devils Grace Avatar. Soon It Will %%uGLOW!
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Originally posted by CoASH
    I would have thought you'd want more complex carbs to release energy throughout duration of your workout
    with the high GI wouldn't you get tired before the end of your w/o?
    It really depends on when you are consuming the carbs as to what type would be ideal (low or high GI). If you are going to eat low GI carbs then I would consume them at least an hour or so before your training session because it will take longer for a low GI carbs to be digested/absorbed as compared to high GI carbs.

If you were to take high GI carbs you would consume them closer to your workout, because it will take less time for high GI carbs to be digested absorbed by the body.

You are basically trying to ensure that the body has nutrients available when the workout is over, because your muscles should already have glycogen stored from the previous workout. The idea behind taking in carbs preworkout is so that you can get a head start on recovery, so to speak.

As long as you keep your workout time to around an hour you should not have to worry about becoming fatigued, and if you were to train longer than an hour, then a carb drink such as Gatorade would probably be beneficial.