The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Why are a lot of top OLers fat?

Just wondering? Seems like a lot of top level olympic lifters, especially in the higher weight catagories, are quite overweight.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Such as?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    thats because they focus only on strength, they dont diet, they just eat alot to keep strength

mark henry 6foot 400 pounds (strongest man in american)

shane hammons 5'7" 350 pounds(top elite olympic weiht lifter, one of 7 men to ever clean and jerk over 500 pounds and if predicted to be one of the first to ever snatch 500 pounds)

anthony clark 5'7" 350 pounds(first man to ever bench over 800 pounds)
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Look at those stats you posted, and think about how much of that high weight is pure muscle. Granted, they carry a lot more fat than bb'ers, but they are still loaded with muscle mass.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

3:16
    do you mean overweight or fat?

of course heavy weights are over over weight. otherwise they would not be heavy weights.

If you look at most strong men most are not the leanest people out there. however quite a few are leaner than the average person. plus you do get some very lean ones. that polish guy with a long name springs to mind
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

there is no weight limit in the super heavys.

but in the lighter divisions they are pretty lean and muscular, look at Dimas, you can see his abs through his lifting suit!!

this guy doens't look fat too me - attached...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 08-10-2003 at 04:40 AM.

or him - chinese olylifter

DImas - yeah real fat...

chinese guy again

It isn't the "top" guys who are fat per se, if you define "top" as the best. The "top" guys in the heaviest weight classes are fat because fat helps strength. In the lighter weight classes the men are not fat because they cannot afford to be, it would put them at a disadvantage (the fat would propel them into a heavier weight class).

The biggest lifters need not worry about heavier weight classes thus they can have liberal amounts of body fat. Increased body fat allows for more muscle than can be carried on a lean physique. It also can aid in lifting by creating a "cushion" effect. For example, if the legs are larger and fatter, then the very bottom position of the clean and snatch is made easier by the fact that the increased leg size reduces the ROM (the back of the lower and upper legs touch sooner). A large gut can also be of advantage in the very deep squat position as it can provide somewhat of a "springboard" effect.
    Last edited by chris mason; 08-10-2003 at 06:37 AM.

That's what I read about Alexeyev's gut.

His gut was also a very nice counterbalance for his presses. If any of you have tried heavy overhead standing presses you will know that a big counterbalance would help the lift tremendously.

yeah but excess bodyweight reduces speed in the snatch, you do have to propel your own bodyweight as well

strap on a 20lb weight vest and see how much your snatch goes down

extra fat does help in the slow lifts like squats etc, but olylifts I'm not so sure. The strongest guy does not win.
    The extra weight reduces speed, and you can't keep the bar as close to your body - which makes a huge difference. The closer the bar is, the better the mechanical leverage.

So you gain some and lose some, but the main reason is that
    superheavyweights have no weight limit, and who likes to watch their diet anyway?

Plus not many people can lose fat without losing muscle mass.
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 08-10-2003 at 03:08 PM.

Originally posted by Blitzforce
    extra fat does help in the slow lifts like squats etc, but olylifts I'm not so sure. The strongest guy does not win.
    The extra weight reduces speed, and you can't keep the bar as close to your body - which makes a huge difference. The closer the bar is, the better the mechanical leverage.
    Alexeyev and Reding both proved that to be pretty inaccurate.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

The question is, if they were leaner, not ripped but 10-12% or so would they have lifted higher totals? We don't know so, it's all speculation.
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 08-10-2003 at 07:39 PM.

Possibly, yeah.

Then again, it'd be really hard to imagine either one of those guys posting better numbers than they had.

Senior of Kinesiology
    There not fat, there just big-boned.

But in all seriousness, in the heavyweight classes, that extra fat would allow them to keep a higher level of strength, and perhaps more overall muscle mass.
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

Redding and Alexiev were fat? OK. I guess that a big belly means fat now huh? No they were not pretty boy, bodybuilder lean, but they did not train for looks, they trained for performance.

Superheavies are going to be fatter than others, for sure, cause they can afford to be, but most superheavyweight powerlifters, olympic lifters and strongman competitors are leaner than you might think.

Just cause a guy has a big belly, doesn't mean he is necesarily fat. Belly is made from muscle too. Big belly muscles mean a big belly. Dave Tate has a huge belly, but has visible stomach muscles. That is not fat, but would appear to be, while wearing clothes.

And those big guys might have been better at a lighter bodyweight, who knows? But they were very athletic, and very strong and fast in spite of this extra baggage.

Short answer as to why they are fat, is cause they are able to be world class athletes without being on the "Zone" diet.

B.

Well, Alexeyev was definitely fat. His gut was as fat as it gets. Now, he obviously carried a lot of muscle as well, but there is not getting around his being fat.

Dimas - not bad for any 85kg dude, I hear he front squats 600lbs explosively, real fast! And you can see why, he powerjerks his jerks
    any easy 440+lbs, and some people think Olylifters are weak..

right click and save
    http://www.pyrros.gr/gallery/video/Pyrros2.mpg

All worries about physique aside, I just have to say that those lifts were jaw-droppingly amazing.

Both of them made it look virtually effortless (though Alexeyev seemed to struggle a bit with the catch and the initial press).

Those videos fire me up! I love that stuff! I don't think you can really appreciate what they are doing unless you have tried the movements.

When I watch the videos I notice (like Powerman) that Serge seemed to have a better handle on the weight. He did his press with almost no movement at the knee where Alexeyev definitely had a bit of a dip to his.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    When a man at 3% bodyfat squats 1080lbs, just go ahead and make a thread here.

Another pic of Dimas: