Thread: What is a perfect Back/Bicep day for a kid trying to improve his back and arms???

Hybrid View

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

What is a perfect Back/Bicep day for a kid trying to improve his back and arms???

Please give me a perfect back/bicep day.

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Banned
    what is perfect for one person may not be perfect for you. Why don't you post your current routine and let us pick it apart.

like stated above, everybody has different needs. But I'll let you see a routine I used before I changed to my "two a day" workouts, and you can work from there.

Back and Biceps;
    Widegrip chins
    T-Bar row
    Lat machine
    DB pullover
    straight bar curl
    incline alt curl
    consentration curl
    preacher 21's
    shrugs *I added these because I prefer them on back day opposed to shoulder day*

let it be noted that I've been training for quite a while, and these are 3 sets 8 rep. I think it would be a bit much for a beginer.
    Last edited by theomen; 08-26-2003 at 02:55 PM.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

why so many curls? :\

i'd stick with 3 sets of BB/DB curls, maybe hammer curls or decline curls or something else if you're feeling saucy. overdoing it won't help.

well...

3x8 Lever Close Grip (Pulldownhttp://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/LVCloseGripPulldown.html)

3x8 Lever Seated Row(http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...SeatedRow.html)

3x8 DB Curls

2x8 BB Curls

2x8 Preacher Curls

Thats usually what I do

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

That's why I said it wasn't for beginers. 3 sets won't do a damn thing for me, hell it won't even give me a decent pump. Basically the straight bar curl and incline curls are my mass builders, the consentration is there to exhaust the muscle to about 80 percent fatigue, and then the 21's are complete burnouts to shock the old cns.
    Last edited by theomen; 08-26-2003 at 03:04 PM.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"

I do these exersises in the following order for my back/bi day.

3 sets of weighted wide grip chins

3 sets of bent over bb rows

2 sets of bb curls

2 sets of hammer curls

3 sets of deadlift + 1 warm up first
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Originally posted by theomen
    That's why I said it wasn't for beginers. 3 sets won't do a damn thing for me, hell it won't even give me a decent pump. Basically the straight bar curl and incline curls are my mass builders, the consentration is there to exhaust the muscle to about 80 percent fatigue, and then the 21's are complete burnouts to shock the old cns.
    Pump really has nothing to do with how good of a workout you get. I can get a pump in my chest by holding my breath and tightening my chest muscles, does this mean I had a good chest workout?

I like 4-6 sets for biceps if they are grouped with back on a day.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Well I've gotten to where I am today with at least 12 sets of bi's, and I'm quite happy. I've done the light loads before with low sets of bi's and didn't get anything out of it, except relizing I needed more. Each person's different, you may be able to get a good workout with a light load, but for myself if I were to do your routine I'd get little benefit and probably vice versa.

And while I know the pump doesn't mean you're getting a good workout, but if you can workout with getting blood into your muscle, you're not doing a whole helluva lot.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"

Originally posted by theomen
    Basically the straight bar curl and incline curls are my mass builders, the consentration is there to exhaust the muscle to about 80 percent fatigue, and then the 21's are complete burnouts to shock the old cns.
    i'm no scientologist (PowerManDL, correct me if i'm wrong), but i would say that overloading will do nothing for the CNS except needlessly exhaust it. if you want to properly develop your CNS i'm pretty sure you need to do super-compounds like squat, DL, and olympic lifts. again i could be wrong

faux pax on my part, I meant to say that I use it to change things up and disrupt the neurological learning process. I don't do 21's every routine. It's an exercise I throw in when I feel as though I need to keep myself from falling into a routine.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"

I have separated back (rows, pullups) and bicep (curls) exercises into separate days, and it has worked well for me. The total volume is actually slightly less than that of WBB #1.

Here's a good back routine if you're willing to go heavy:
    Pullups 3-5 sets, add weight to stay near 6-10 reps
    Deadlifts, 3-5 sets, including warmup
    DB rows, 3 sets
    Ez-bar curls, 3 sets
    Shrugs, 2 sets
    This will work everything from traps down through the lats to the erectors.

Mic: Given that you are almost exactly my build, I fail to see the purpose of many bicep exercises. You won't gain size on the arms until you start adding overall mass. That means heavy and compound exercises, and stay away from the machines too!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Every time I up my calorie intake I start gaining fat....

This sh-t is confusing. I don't want to get a big ass belly.

I'm getting my BF% taken tommorrow by a trainer so I will have a good grasp on my progress at that point. I'm guessing I'm around 14%

I'm 5'11 164 33 inch waist relaxed

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Banned
    pack on the muscle and the fat together, then get rid of the fat. Problem solved.

Like someone posted on an earlier thread, if you want maximum gain on arms, they should have a stand alone day. Sure, mix in some finishing moves on chest and back days, but a day for arms alone will allow yo to focus maximum effort on those muscles without them having been somewhat pre-exhausted by the large muscle group work of chest or back.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by jugheadkills
    pack on the muscle and the fat together, then get rid of the fat. Problem solved.

It's easy to see I have spent too long on this forum. I am now getting quoted in people's sigs. Hmm where do I go from here?

Anyway I would recommend deadlifts, chins and pulldowns. For biceps I would just do 3-4 sets of heavy standing barbell curls. All the other work has (or should have) been done during the back session.

I agree with HahnB.

Pulllups
    Some sort of freeweight row (Tbar, bent, DB)
    deads
    shrugs.

Or you could do some seated one arm pulley cable rows. Those pack on the mass!!