Thread: bench assistance lifts

Hybrid View

bench assistance lifts

can anyone name some good benching assist lifts?

currently i'm doing:
    flat bench
    incline bench
    JM press or close grips
    skull crushers
    military press
    lateral raise
    (and then rotary cuff work)

i'm having trouble with the skulls though, they really hurt my wrists. i'd really like to change up the triceps/shoulders portion.

also -- will doing snatches and clean & jerks help with bench explosivity? i can see they've tremendously helped my DL and squat, but what can they do for shoulders?

Whats your DL routine (or what did you do to raise it)?

i started doing a lot more olympic lifting (like 30-50% of the routine) more or less every day i lift, and worked the posterior chain and grip really hard. i haven't been focusing on quads much lately (snatches take care of them though)

Where is your sticking point on the bench?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

all over. it's just generally weak.

i'd say mostly coming off the chest and locking out. i recently started resting the bar a little higher on my chest (mid-chest level, rather than extremely low) and noticed my shoulders are having an easier time starting off.

i'd do 3 board presses for lockout, but i train alone. as for takeoff, what's good? floor benching?

To work the bottom, I do DB presses. Illegal wides might help, as might cambered bar work.

Speed would help, too.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    To work the bottom, I do DB presses. Illegal wides might help, as might cambered bar work.

Speed would help, too.
    what kind of speed? just benching as fast as possible? (but safely)

i do lots of olympic lifts, so i'm getting pretty fast (squat/DL/clean/snatch anyway). would those help my bench as well?

and by DB presses, you mean vertically overhead, correct?

Speed bench (ala Westside).

No I mean DB benching.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.