Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench shirt question

Bench shirt question

With the strech back Furys (and I think inzer makes a stretch back as well), is it possible to get into a USAPL legal single ply wihtout help?

That sure would be cool for those of us training alone.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

No kidding, that's been one of my biggest hangups with getting a bench shirt.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

my incredibly weak bench has been keeping me from needing one

but yeah, that's an issue for me too as a loner in the gym. hell, i can hardly even find a decent spotter

Well, I'm pretty sure you can get into an open back alone (I'd imagine it woul dhave to be a little loose), but open back isn't legal in USAPL. Since that's where I prefer to lift (even though I may lift in other feds, too), I figure it makes sence to stick to training with what I can use there.

I'm thinking about picking up a suit and shirt for my next meet (Either an APA meet on jan 24 or a WNPF meet on jan 31), I'd like to go ahead and get a fury and a titan suit if that will work out. Otherwise I'm going to go Inzer, since they are so much less expensive, and just get a blast and a champion.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Paul- if you want one that is gonna give you anything, no. Even a somewhat loose blast shirt is tough with two people helping.

If at all possible find a new fed. USAPL sucks on many levels IMO. Plus, an open back shirt is much more versatile and comfortable.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Can you recommend some other feds besides USAPL?

What are the many levels the USAPL suck on?

and you can get into a titan by yourself, if you get a decent size. You wont get as much help from it, but you will beable to get into it.

The inzer blast is cheaper than the titan, but the titan will perform a LOT better than the blast.

Anyone want to see a picture of John Inzer winning the teen nationals in his weight class?

Let's see.

Not to get into federation bashing (since in my geography, I need to take what i can get) - there are no other federations other than AAU that have drug free single ply lifting.

I know the IPA has a drug tested division, and APA used to, although I don't think they do any longer. That's the playing field I want to play on, given a choice.

Maybe that will change as I compete more. Who knows?

Since I'm more interested in single ply poly lifting, it makes sence that I would stick to using equipment that meets those rules, certainly for the time being.

A stretchback fury is legal in the USAPL, I was just wondering if I'd be able to get one on without help.

If I can't, then I'm going to go Inzer blast and Champion, and find someone to help me get into the Blast.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 08-28-2003 at 07:17 AM.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I don't think so.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Is USAPL the US branch of IPF? And if so why does it suck?
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Yes.

I'm not sure why people sya it sucks, other than the judging being strict and when it's inconsistent, it's typically not in the lifters favor.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

USAPL is very unfriendly to the lifter is the main knock on that org. Also thier claim to be drug free is a farce.

IPA and APA and APF are all much more lifter freindly, meaning that they have rules that favor a lifter getting a lift credited more often, and don't have as strict of rules on equipment.

APF has an amatuer division called AAPF which is drug tested and is a good place for amatuer's/novices to compete. They allow liberal equipment and more lifter freindly judging standards, and a "decent" chance of lifting against clean lifters. I say "decent" cause there will always be some piece of crap who lifts in a clean fed while on the sauce.

B.

Seems strange that you classify one federations drug testing as a farce, but the other federation that uses the same drug testing procedures as good?

I'm guessing it's the fact that they don't allow them to use specific equipment that pisses people off. All I will say is that if USAPL is IPF then at least it's an internationally recognized federation, with a unified set of rules that is global. So I don't see anything better than that. It seems like there are hundreds of little local federations in the US, and just choosing one because you can use equipment that helps lift more over another definitely doesn't make it superior in any way.

I know for myself, I'd rather compete where my lifts will be comparable to a great many other lifters and set at a high standard. Drug testing I believe is done when someone breaks a record or gets elite totals or some other plateau yes? Otherwise it would cost way too much to test all competitors. I only know how the Canadian Powerlifting Union works, not the USAPL, but the CPU is also IPF.

What you mean by friendly to the lifter I have no clue what that entails, so I can't comment on that.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I'm still not sure if I can get a stretch back fury on by myself.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by noraa
    Seems strange that you classify one federations drug testing as a farce, but the other federation that uses the same drug testing procedures as good?
    Noraa,

When I say that the testing thing in the USAPL/IPF is a farce I mean that they go around claiming thier fed to be drug free, which is a total joke.

And when I say in the AAPF you have a "reasonable" chance of competing against other clean amatuers I mean just that, a "reasonable" chance. The reason there is even a chance at all is because the APF has an unlimited or "pro" division where the people not interested in a drug test will compete, while in the IPF/USAPL there is no non-tested division, so guess where the users are competing? Yep, right there with everyone else.

Personally, I could care less if anyone ever gets tested. Testing means less than nothing to me, or anyone who is serious about strength. Saying so and so did X amount of weight does not impress me more or less depending upon whether they passed a drug test.

Christ, Mendelson mentioned in an online articel I read on MSN that he was clean, so what does that tell ya?

If someone benches 500, 600, 700 or whatever, then they are strong, and that impresses me. If someone squats 800, 900, 1,000, then that too is impressive, and the last question I would ever ask is if they passed some silly drug test. Did they lift the weight? if so, then they are strong, end of story.

And re: a fed being lifter friendly, it is well known amongst competitors that you are more likely to get bombed out of a USAPL meet than an APF, IPA, or APA meet. The biggest lifts happen in the latter mentioned feds.

If you want to go to the IPF worlds, then join the USAPL. I am not comfortable with thier rules and procedures, so I personally would not ever lift there. I choose to lift in the APF, which is the path to the WPO where the real big boys play. I intend to do a WPO bench meet in the next couple of years, and hopefully take home a healthy check. So for me, the path is APF/WPO, but the wonderful thing about so many feds is that each person can choose to do that which makes him/her happiest.

B.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    I'm still not sure if I can get a stretch back fury on by myself.
    Why does it always have to be about YOU, paul?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

for powerlifting, would Vitamin S really make much difference? i could see it helping with recovery time, but other than that, it's my understanding that they're not gonna help you lift any more or less.

i heard arnold say on a discovery channel documentary about power/olympic lifting and body building that if you can lift 1000 lbs, steroids won't help you lift 2000 -- they'll help you lift 1030. is this true?

Originally posted by unshift
    for powerlifting, would Vitamin S really make much difference? i could see it helping with recovery time, but other than that, it's my understanding that they're not gonna help you lift any more or less.
    hehe.....if you only knew......
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Belial

Why does it always have to be about YOU, paul?
    Why not? I'm just as good a choice as anyone else.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by PowerManDL

hehe.....if you only knew......
    i'll pick up some vitamin S then.

and Paul, sorry to derail your thread, but hey these things happen

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Paul- I helped two different lifters into their Fury's at the meet yesterday and took a while. If you want to get one that is gonna give you anything, have some help you.

The USAPL is just like BM said, not lifter-friendly.....unless you are one of their lifers who get the calls(kinda like politics). I have been to USAPL meets and seen lifters squat damn near ass-to-ankles and get reds on depth. You have to pause on bench, but nobody tells you to press. What am I supposed to guess? If you make any straining faces or sweat, your lift will not be passed. Trust me, I squat deep regardless and have never been called for depth, but I have seen plenty of bull**** calls. I lifted my head like 2" off the bench in one meet. I paused the weight for a solid 3 count and smoked it. No good because my head came off the bench. That obviously aided my lift.

I prefer the feds like APF and IPA which both have tested and non-tested divisions and are much more lifter-friendly. These are the feds I will continue to compete in.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by benchmonster
    When I say that the testing thing in the USAPL/IPF is a farce I mean that they go around claiming thier fed to be drug free, which is a total joke.
    You missed my point, in that both federations claim to be drug tested. I havent seen USAPF or IPF claiming to be drug free, but I have seen individuals from these federations claiming so (which is wrong, becuase if everyone is drug free whats the point of testing )

And when I say in the AAPF you have a "reasonable" chance of competing against other clean amatuers I mean just that, a "reasonable" chance.
    Even with a pro division, there will always be the person who wants to whip a nattys butt, so they will evade the drug test. So no federation can claim to be drug free.
    Personally, I could care less if anyone ever gets tested. Testing means less than nothing to me, or anyone who is serious about strength.
    I have nothing against drugs, if I could get them legally I would, but at the moment, neither the drug tested/non tested federations are able to offer a level playing field, which is a nice desire.
    Christ, Mendelson mentioned in an online articel I read on MSN that he was clean, so what does that tell ya?
    Ronnie is clean too maybe they wash more often than other people

If someone benches 500, 600, 700 or whatever, then they are strong, and that impresses me. If someone squats 800, 900, 1,000, then that too is impressive, and the last question I would ever ask is if they passed some silly drug test. Did they lift the weight? if so, then they are strong, end of story.
    But with the IPF, they have to for the lift to pass, its just another requirement. If somebody evades a drug test, or can beat it, thats not the federations fault. Theres no real money in PL (apart from some specific meets) so why spend thousands evading a drug test just to win a trophy or medal?

If you want to go to the IPF worlds, then join the USAPL. I am not comfortable with thier rules and procedures, so I personally would not ever lift there.
    I cant join the USAPL, as I am a member of NZPF (also a part of IPF). we probably have the advantage of being a small country and therefore we know most of the lifters around. So there doesnt appear to be any real 'groups' trying to make one another lose by bombing them out on judging. Im a (local) ref myself, and when reffing I dont think of the person, I just think of the rules and if they meet them. I watched the IPF world bench in 2001, very few lifters bombed, and those who did deserved to (opening too high, not lockking out etc).

LATMAN. since the IPF changed the clap rules it has made an absolute pain in the arse for judgings. its left up to the judges to decide what is uneven, what is slight foot movement, what is a pause etc. This just leaves much less room for error for a lifter. They should have the press command back in.
    Any federation will have problems with rules tho, and people who think that things have happened unfairly.

PL rocks tho, so each to their own federation
    Last edited by noraa; 09-01-2003 at 06:20 PM.