Thread: technique on progressive overload for strengh

technique on progressive overload for strengh

I was just wondering wat everyone elses technique was for progressive overload and increasing weights... some people increase reps every workour some people increase sets some poeple decrease reps and do more weight.... well b/c right now im doing between 8-12 reps and i think im going to do a certrain wait 12 times until i add more weight then gradually work that weight up if u know what i mean..... ne 1 else do something difrent...

You should read some of the wbb training articles. They advocate doing like 4-8 reps to failure. It's kinda hard to predict how many reps you'll be able to do so I prefer to increase weight gradually. So, for instance, I find a weight I can bench press about 6 times and then increase it 5 lbs every other week. Then you just try your best on every set and see how many reps you can get.

i want to do enough reps to increase strengh i think 4-8 os for size

size directly correlates to strength (force production is dependant on muscle cross sectional area). You're not going to get strong without getting bigger. 4-8 reps is for size/strength while getting into the 10-12 range starts to emphasize endurance. The 4-8 rep range stimulates type II fibers better than higher ranges are the fibers that are going to make you stronger. Do some research. Also, nutrition is pretty important.

yea thats what i thought to about the reps but everyone saying is u get the best results with 8-12 idunno i used to do 6-8 and 4-8 but everyones saying no idont know what to do.

Originally posted by mmckinley
    size directly correlates to strength (force production is dependant on muscle cross sectional area). You're not going to get strong without getting bigger. 4-8 reps is for size/strength while getting into the 10-12 range starts to emphasize endurance. The 4-8 rep range stimulates type II fibers better than higher ranges are the fibers that are going to make you stronger. Do some research. Also, nutrition is pretty important.
    You can get stronger without getting bigger. In fact its easier to do so than to get stronger from an increase in size. Maximum *potential* force production is based on CSA, but maximum voluntary strength is a function of neural factors.

Endurance training doesn't really start till ~15 reps, more or less.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

oh alright thx man

Originally posted by mmckinley
    Really, I never knew that I guess that would explain why I my bench is over 315, but my arm and chest size is exactly the same as when I could only bench 250. And why I can (smith machine) squat 450, but my legs are the same size as when I could only do 325. What I'm getting around to is pretty much what Powerman said: It is MUCH easier to gain strength than size. I am a living example of this.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

hornedfrog how many reps do u do per exercise?

Wannabebig Member
    Good question i always wondered this mysself. I also wonderd that say you do your first heavy weight and barly get 8 reps out i mean your struggling on that lst one. Should you then stick with that weight for the other two sets or should you make the weight higher then next time you work out, use the higher weightand stick with taht till you can get 8 reps out. Im not sure if I explained it right. But if anyone understood this. Than can sombody explain. Thanks
    bill fagan

What i do is 3 sets of a really high weight. Lets say i can do 4-6 on each. Then i do 2 sets of 10-15 ish on a lot lower weight. I always get a huge pump and have been increasing strengh loads but not so much on size. What should i do just to get bigger ?
    Find out about me : Andy Palmer
    Check out my : Bodybuilding Weblog

People say i good way to increase stengh is to try to increase reps, sets, intensity or weight every week just by increasing the weight or reps or anything should increase stengh, and i mean by staying at the same weight until you feel comftable to move up.

I do 2 heavy sets for 10 reps, or try to get 10 reps for 1 month. Start of the next month, I add 5 pounds. I only do this for compound lifts or larger muscle groups. I add 5 pounds after 2 months for smaller muscles, ie bi's & tri's.

I started at 175 in April and now I'm up to 205 on my bench. Starting on 210 Monday. Has worked great for me. It's cool to see the progression, even if it is a small amount.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

yeah i love the feeling of improvment and success!
    Last edited by eatdirt40; 08-31-2003 at 09:11 PM.

My progressive overload technique is every training cycle, starting with something I KNOW I can get for at least 10 reps, but only do 2 sets of 5, which is still a pretty good workout. Then, keep adding 5-10lbs every week, until I can't do the weight for 5 reps, then I stick with that weight utnil I can do 7 reps, for 2 sets, then add another 5-10 lbs. I just started this about 5 weeks ago. It is working great. My working sets have increased by 25lbs., which is fantastic.

Week 1- 225X5 (2)
    Week 2- 235X5 (2)
    Week 3- 245X5,4
    Week 4- 250X4,3

So I will stick with 250 for a few weeks until I can do two sets of 7, then go up to 260.

Wannabebig Member
    Remember everyone is different and different muscles respond to different amounts of reps, pesonally 9-11 reps is generally the best for me, also I couldn't get any significant growth in my hams until I started doing 12 rep sets.

Wannabebig Member
    I would check out the training protocol for MAX-OT and the 5X5 routines. If your goal is to increase strength which ideally would lead to size assuming that you are taking an increase in calories, I would stay at the 5-8 rep range. Keep a training log, write down your poundage. Your goal is to keep increasing your weights in small increments of at least 2.5lbs each week. Once I typically hit 5 reps, I increase the weight by 2.5lbs each side. My stregnth has gone through the roof, and size does follow if you consume enough calories. Make sure you keep increasing caloric amounts everytime you gain weight, otherwise, you'll smack right into a weight plateau regardless of the increasing poundage. Good luck!
    Train, Eat, Recuperate, GROW!!!

1. stick with basic compound movements as the measure of your progress and do them first in your workout

2. after the basic movements to failure, add accesory/isolation movements

3. Beware of hidden overlaps in muscle groups.

Management begins with measurement. Keep it simple and you will avoid confusion and error in measurement that may arise.

eg. for bench press progress

1. bench press is the main movement, do 2-4 sets using heavy weights, record your progress and even set goals before you begin

2. after benching you can do lying tricep extension and/or flies but go with higher volume (8-15 reps super slow)

3. beware of shoulder pressing a couple of days before because it can affect your 1rm bench if your shoulders are still recovering
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

once-anecto i thought the best reg range for size was between 8-12, i heard that 5-8 is better for mass

People have told me first comes strengh then comes mass

Im going to do 8-12 for a few months and get the strengh, then switch down to 5-8 for the mass.. what do u think?

Wannabebig Member
    Dude, check out Max-OT at ast-ss.com. Anything over 8 reps is building more towards endurance. I've made tremendous progress using the 5 rep range. If uyou think about it logically, your workout intensity is strongest your first couple of reps. As you progress past 8-9 reps, intensity begins to drop, endurance comes more into play. If you look at a powerlifter's workout, their rep range is often very olw, 2-3 reps max. I would just experiment to see what works for YOU. Worst comes to worse, do what I do, use a combo of the two regimen. Just my .02 cents.
    Train, Eat, Recuperate, GROW!!!

I've found that, when it comes to dumbbell exercises, I need to be able to get 8 reps before I can get a single rep of the next weight. I'm sure it's different for everyone.