The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Running in the sand?

I recently moved close to the beach and have found what I think is a very good workout: running in the sand! It seems great for building leg strength and is a lot more difficult than running on solid ground so it provides a great cardio workout. I do have a couple of anal-retentive questions for those who might have done it in the past:

1. Could there be any issues with injury? It seems to me that running in the sand would actually be easier on your body due to the cushioning effect of the sand. However, I just want to check to see if perhaps there is something I'm not thinking about.

2. Would it be better to run barefoot or with shoes on? I'm leaning towards barefoot as it seems to me that going barefoot builds more strength in the tendons as you don't have all the support a shoe there. The only downside I can see if maybe catching an occasional piece of glass in my foot but I think I can live with that possibility.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd love to offer help but the only sand I'm around is on the golf course. And they don't like it when we run through it.

The one thing I would recommend would be to run on the wet sand where it's smooth. If you get running on the dry stuff where it's kind of uneven you could roll your ankle. But I'm sure it would be a nice cardio work out. As well as very relaxing just to be out by the ocean.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

the point of running in the sand is to run in the sand nissen where its hard to get a grip which causes it harder on ur legs iffu ran on the wet part it would be the same as a treadmill

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    If you run barefoot, watch out for glass shards
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig Member
    Anyone know if there exists any type of footwear other than traditional shoes to prevent me getting "glassed"? I was wearing regular running shoes but they get all full of sand and are a pain the ass. I'm thinking of maybe one of those slipper type of things with the rubber bottoms. Kind of a dorky question I know but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Running in the sand is also easier on your knees/ankles/shins etc. It rocks

Originally posted by eatdirt40
    the point of running in the sand is to run in the sand nissen where its hard to get a grip which causes it harder on ur legs iffu ran on the wet part it would be the same as a treadmill
    I'm just not recommending running where it's hard on your ankles due to the sand being so loose it's giving away and possibly rolling them. Obviously you're not going to run on wet sand that's rock solid. But you can run where the tide has covered it and smoothed it out some. It still gives and makes it harder than running on the sidewalk.

Then again, what do I know. I live in Iowa
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 08-28-2003 at 10:14 PM.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Wannabebig Member
    I think that running in loose sand would actually be good because I think it would strengthen your ankles over time. You would run the risk of rolling an ankle no doubt but if you go easy at first I the risk is largely mitigated. The problem with running closer to the water is that it is usually more slanted and therefore tougher to run on then further inland.

I can see that. I guess I've only had a chance to do it a few times. And like I said earlier, I'm not really speaking from experience.

Now that I think about it. I've played a lot of sand volleyball, and I've never rolled an ankle. The sand gives as soon as you put weight on it. Drrrrr. One of these days I'll think before I speak.

Wannabebig Member
    sounds tough, good luck with that and make sure you have good footwear. glass or sand in toenails are not good

It's good excercise but it you have any trouble with achiles tendinitis or other foot/shin/knee problems it's not a good idea at all. It can be very stressful on your legs.

It's particularly a b*tch of a workout on your lower legs.

Whether that's good or bad depends on your conditioning or preference, I suppose.

Originally posted by Ironman8
    If you run barefoot, watch out for glass shards

Yeah you got to look out for thoses needles too!
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Rocky ran on sand and he got his eye of the tiger back and beat the crap out of Mr. T.

If it worked for him, it WILL work for you.

Originally posted by Magnus Musculus
    Rocky ran on sand and he got his eye of the tiger back and beat the crap out of Mr. T.

If it worked for him, it WILL work for you.
    Now that's logic I can USE.