Thread: Forearm pain?

hey wanna go lift

Forearm pain?

I was doing reverse wrist curls last Thursday, and about halfway through my 2nd set, I started to experience some pain in my left forearm towards the outside of the arm. I stopped after that. I started to do bicep curls and the pain is even more prominent while curling. Now, it's not excruciating, but its definitely enough so that I am very discouraged from doing anything like tricep extensions, bicep curls, hammer curls, etc, etc, etc, basically anything where stress is placed on the lower arm.

I have never experienced anything like this and if I had to put my finger on it, I'd say it was most like shin splints in my arm. It is very acute in that its in the middle/outside of my left arm only. I don't feel any discomfort when I move around during the day in regular operation, and I have not done any arm specific exercises since, but tommorow, it will have been a week since injury and it still doesn't feel any better.

Anyone know whats wrong with me? Better yet, anyone know how to fix what is wrong? I plan to not work my arms until I can resolve this, but I don't want to stop working out. I have continued to do chest/back/abs/legs...

(Also, if I was wondering on the best way to develop muscle definition in the lower pec. My upper pec is pretty stout, given I'm only about 170lbs, but it just tapers off into some fat. I have been benching 155lbs, but I still haven't seen any progress..)

You need to go lighter and work on your form.

I had the same exact problem about a year ago. And even though I thought my techniuqe was correct, I came to find out it was not. After I worked on proper technique the pain stopped and has never returned.
    F-FIVE!!!!! F-FIVE!!!!!! ITS OVER ITS OVER!!!!!

hey wanna go lift
    So you think my bicep or wrist curl form is incorrect? Or maybe the pain in bicep curls is present as a result of poor wrist curl form?

Also, do you recall how long it took for your pain to subside? I hate to go a week much less more than a week out of routine, I am eager to get back into gear as quickly as possible

I am sorry, I do not understand..
    Last edited by utah82; 08-28-2003 at 06:45 PM.

you may have strained a muscle or shocked it with a heavier weight that it couldnt handle, if u need to talk about injuries u can talk to me i have been injuried many times and have expierenced lots of things.. so about ur forearm you should lay off any arm work for a few days and maybe consult ur doctor to see if he can get you some help or something, the worst thing u can prlly do now is to work it even more and increase the stress and pain on it so give it some time and that should do it for u good luck man

Yea injuries suck bad, I hurt my ankle running a few weeks ago and it just now finally healed. It seemed like FOREVER, really sucked, goodluck man.

i have the same wrist problem when doing clean and jerks, when my wrist is pushed back and the bar is racked across my shoulders.

not a very helpful reply, but you're not the only one who has this problem

The answer is here!

It's basically the same problem as shin splints, from what doctors told me when I had the same problem. The bad part is that they told me to stop lifting, which is WRONG. Your problem is your wrist position, take a week off and let it heal a little bit, then go a little lighter and be sure to curl your wrist when doing curls. Curl your wrist like you flexing your bicep, and never let it extend. This will aleveate your problem.

BTW, when I had this I kept on lifting until it was excrutiating and felt like my ulna was being crushed. Worst nagging injury ever, I'm glad that I finally figured out what was wrong or I may have given up bbing.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

hey wanna go lift
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will take another week off arms to make sure I don't hurt myself more and I will see if anyone can give me some pointers on reverse wrist curls.

Thanks again.
    Weight: 167lbs
    Height: 6'0"
    BF%: 14-16%

Current Lifts (10/1/03):
    Bench: 155lbs
    Squat: 145lbs
    D/L: 185lbs

Goal Lifts (12/1/03):
    Bench: 175lbs
    Squat: 165lbs
    D/L: 225lbs

Weight/BF% Goals:
    Weight: 190
    BF%: < 12%

hey wanna go lift
    I was reading up on RSI's and I think some of this is as a result of wasting too much time on the internet and bad arm position. Sounds like a real pussed way to injure myself, but I think it really applies because as I was thinking about it, I tend to rest my arm almost exactly where I am experiencing pain..

Nothing signifigant here, just goes to show yet again that posture & form doesn't matter just inside the gym.
    Weight: 167lbs
    Height: 6'0"
    BF%: 14-16%

Current Lifts (10/1/03):
    Bench: 155lbs
    Squat: 145lbs
    D/L: 185lbs

Goal Lifts (12/1/03):
    Bench: 175lbs
    Squat: 165lbs
    D/L: 225lbs

Weight/BF% Goals: