The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: microwave safe?

microwave safe?

test?
    Last edited by frankm007; 06-17-2007 at 12:26 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't see any problem with it, and I do it quite often.

Make sure there are no cold spots in food where bacteria can survive.(especially salmonela in chicken).
    Then, allow the microwaved food to stand for a few minutes after cooking so that the heat is distributed and the food is cooked evenly.

i do this all the time, but i thought that when you microwave things they DO lose nutrients. is this true?
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Originally posted by frankm007
    see, thats why i asked... heat tends to break apart protein eh?
    It really does not matter, seeing as how the protein will be broken down into amino acids in the stomach.

Originally posted by Wizard
    Make sure there are no cold spots in food where bacteria can survive.(especially salmonela in chicken).
    Then, allow the microwaved food to stand for a few minutes after cooking so that the heat is distributed and the food is cooked evenly.
    This would not be a concern if the food was already cooked and you were just re-heating it in the microwave, but if you were actually cooking the food in the microwave, then yes you bring up some good points.
    Last edited by bradley; 09-01-2003 at 03:01 AM.

Originally posted by mikey4402
    i do this all the time, but i thought that when you microwave things they DO lose nutrients. is this true?
    ***In general, when you cook anything you should expect some nutrient losses, especially in reference to vegetables. Eating raw meat is usually not very practical.

Retention of nutrients in microwave-cooked foods.

Klein BP.

The high market penetration of microwave ovens in the United States and the burst of new food products available for "heating and eating" raises questions about the nutritional impact of the relatively new technology. Based on the information available in the literature, nutrient content and retention of microwave-cooked or reheated foods is equal to or better than the same product prepared conventionally or held hot in a foodservice operation. Using recommended procedures for microwave cooking and reheating should result in products that are satisfying from both a sensory and nutritional standpoint.

--------------

Effects of microwave cooking/reheating on nutrients and food systems: a review of recent studies.

Hoffman CJ, Zabik ME.

Microwave-oven technology has been improved by the use of low power. With the utilization of low-power techniques, studies showed equal or better retention of nutrients for microwave, as compared with conventional, reheated foods for thiamin, riboflavin, pyridoxine, folacin, and ascorbic acid. Beef roasts microwaved at "simmer" were comparable with conventionally cooked roasts in sensory quality, while vegetables cooked by an institutional (1,150 w) microwave oven were superior to those cooked in a domestic (550 w) microwave oven. Microwave-cooked bacon had lower levels of nitrosamines than conventionally cooked bacon; however, the use of a new alpha-tocopherol coating system has been found to be a safe N-nitrosamine inhibitor regardless of cooking method used.

------------------

The effect of microwaves on nutrient value of foods.

Cross GA, Fung DY.

Microwave cooking has gained considerable importance as an energy-saving, convenient, and time-saving cooking method. This article reviews the state of the art of microwave cooking and the existing publishing data on the effects of microwave cooking on nutritive values of moisture, protein, carbohydrate, lipid, minerals, and vitamins. Most reports indicated that microwave cooking resulted in higher moisture losses compared with conventional methods. Overall, the nutritional effects of microwaves on protein, lipid, and minerals appear minimal. There is no report on the effects of microwaves on carbohydrate fraction in foods. A large amount of data is available on the effects of microwaves on vitamins. It is concluded that there are only slight differences between microwave and conventional cooking on vitamin retention in foods. In conclusion, no significant nutritional differences exist between foods prepared by conventional and microwave methods. Any differences reported in the literature are minimal.
    Last edited by bradley; 09-01-2003 at 03:12 AM.

I was talking about non cooked food.

Perhaps he is asking whether the biological value of the protein is getting lower by overcooking. The answer is yes.