The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Change?

Wannabebig New Member

Change?

After sticking with my diet and lifting routine for two months, I need to reevaluate what I'm doing (I think). I'm a total newbie as it's been at least 15 years since I last lifted with any regularity (and even then I had no clue what I was doing).

I've posted my workout routine below and would appreciate some feedback on it with the following questions in mind (*my only goal is to gain mass-please assume my diet is in order*):

1. I'm an ectomorph, should I be lowering my reps to 4-6 and increasing the weight (I've thought about going high reps one week, low the next)?

2. Should I add exercises to each body part or is what I have currently sufficient? Should I add more sets of the ones I have?

3. At this point (and like I say I'm impatient and am probably jumping the gun on this) I don't notice any growth and I'm wondering if I should switch to a two time per week workout for each muscle group (i.e. hitting the chest twice a week instead of once per week)?

4. Am I way too impatient and expecting changes too fast-stick with what you're doing for another month or two (note that I have had some good changes. . . body fat down 3.3%, addition of 3.5 lbs muscle, just no apparent size increase)?

Here is my workout:

Monday-Legs
    Squats 3 x 8-10
    Hack Squats 3 x 8-10
    Leg Curls 3 x 8-10
    Straight Legged Deadlift 3 x 8-10
    Standing Calve Raises 4 x 8-10

Tuesday-Chest
    Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 x 8-10
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 8-10
    Dips 3 x 8-10

Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday
    Rest

Thursday-Back
    One-arm rows 3 X 8-10
    Deadlifts 3 x 8-10
    Barbell Rows 3 x 8-10
    Shrugs 3 x 8-10
    (No chin-ups because of FUBARed golfers elbow)

Friday-Arms/Shoulders
    Narrow Grip Bench Press 3 x 8-10
    French Press 3 x 8-10
    Barbell Curls 4 x 8-10
    Hammer Curls 3 x 8-10
    Military Press in Rack 3 x 8-10
    Seated Dumbbell Press 3 x 8-10
    Upright Rows 3 x 8-10

TapRackBang!
    Age 33
    Height 6' 4"
    Weight 192
    Body Fat 13.6%

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would suggest:

1)Decrease reps to 6-8 rep range and increase the weight accordingly. I personally like 5-7 really and if I can get 7 or 8 reps then I increase the weight. Based off the lift and how I feel, I might even increase the weight at 6 reps.

2) I might suggest a bit different order but from the looks of it, the exercises look good.

3 & 4) I would try to increase to 2x a week yet. Its only been 2 months and you body is still liking doing mostly CNS adaptation to the weights and once its able to do that, then it'll start realizing it needs to add muscle (assuming your diet is on track).

Leg day looks good. I might switch hack squats and SLDL though.

Chest day looks fine. I might decrease the number of sets a bit so that you could add in a flye type movement but its not necessary.

On back day I would do deadlifts first, followed by barbell rows, one arm rows and then shrugs. Pull-ups aren't an absolute, although they can help. If you can't do them due to an injury then maybe try pulldowns. Have you tried altering the grips to an underhand or neutral grip?

For arms and shoulders, I'd do shoulders first. They are more important and haven't already been worked indirectly with chest and bi's so they will be more fresh.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

"(note that I have had some good changes. . . body fat down 3.3%, addition of 3.5 lbs muscle, just no apparent size increase)? "

"Muscle weighs three times as much as fat."
    I can't remember where I read that, but that means you will probably notice a shrinkage before a gain depending on your BF.