The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    wHaKdOuTgEmInI

Need a few thoughts on my routine and what i'm doing

Still considered a newbie to the forum, been a member for 2 months or so just never posted. Let me explain a few things about me and what I THINK i'm trying to do. I don't know anything about measuring body fat, but I DO know my 220 lb. frame isn't all fat, just loose skin from dropping alot of weight in a short time. I used to be 267 pounds, yes a **** bag basically. Since I started lifting weights and running on the treadmill 3 years ago, I've gained alot of muscle in the process and it looks pretty damn good, got alot of compliments...anyways I've never had a set routine, and now i'm getting very serious about lifting. I had a piece of **** bench for all that time that didn't have anything for legs, and I couldnt even do inclines or declines. Needless to say I just threw that P.O.S out in the garbage, and bought a high quality bench. I've set my routine to Mon. biceps/forearms...Tue. chest/tri's....Wed. cardio/abs...Thurs. shoulders/back....Fri...legs....Sat. OFF..Sun. cardio and abs again starting all over on Monday . Is two days out of the week good enough for losing my stomach and some excess fat/loose skin/whatever? I don't want to lose any of my mass because I like my size/muscles but I DO want to lose my gut and get even bigger muscles at the same time, is this possible? I know somewhere down the line i'm going to have to start CUTTING and eating alot better for the cutting season and I know i'll lose some mass when I begin that phase, but it's ok. Right now i'm really focusing on getting my excess mass more built up solid. When I lift I go for the high weight and low reps everytime and i'm seeing good results. I've done searches on all this ****, but everything in the forums say some**** about Body fat % and I don't know how all that works into building my body. Hopefully with this new routine my weight will do something. It has been stuck at 220 for 2 months or so. Went from 267 to 208 and now i'm stuck at my current weight of 220. Being 5'10 and 220 isn't THAT shabby, i'm a decent size. Last question is, i've seen something on NEEDING fat in a diet, I was wondering if there was any "good" fat? Enough psycho babble, any tips would be appreciated.
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

For the "good fat" buy some fish oil capsules. They are fairly cheap, get a big bottle and take a few a day. You can also eat Salmon, Mackerel, and nuts, they all contain the good fats. They are supposed to help with hormone production or something dunno the exacts or if that is even accurate. I think they aid in fat loss too or something. Anyways they are good so take them.

Wannabebig Member
    I think your routine is bad. An entire day dedicated to biceps and forearms is unnecessary. Just stick to the basics and either do a full body routine 2-3 times a week or split it up into two workouts and do that twice a week. You will find yu wil gain more on your arms from doing squats, benches, and deadlifts than from doing 100 bicep exercises.
    WORK YOUR ASS OFF!

Wannabebig Member
    P.S. full body routines also burn a lot of fat in addition tobuilding muscle. Do abs and cardio after your weight workouts then take your rest days off from everything. And eat good.
    WORK YOUR ASS OFF!

wHaKdOuTgEmInI
    well as far as full body workouts, after my bicep and forearm day I always feel like doing more then just that. I only have 3 workouts for the biceps and wrist curls for the forearms. I've read that splitting up the muscle groups for each day is the way to go? I want to start training everyday but i don't want to overtrain because I heard I wouldn't gain much and that's why I split those muscle groups. I've read on here that by eating heavy(good food) and running and training heavy that I wouldn't lose the mass but instead I would lose the excess fat and gain mass at the same time. Should I work another muscle group along WITH the bi's and forearms such as legs and not DO cardio on that day?
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm

I want to start training everyday but i don't want to overtrain because I heard I wouldn't gain much and that's why I split those muscle groups.
    Personally, I've seen much, much better gains since I stopped training every day. Your muscles grow on your days off, not while you're in the gym, so giving them time off is very important. Splitting up the muscle groups allows you to work each one more intensely, and I've found it to be a timesaver as well.

Should I work another muscle group along WITH the bi's and forearms such as legs and not DO cardio on that day?
    I would work more than just forearms and biceps, maybe add shoulders and triceps to that day. I wouldn't add legs because they're a large enough muscle group to have a day for themselves (Squats, Straight-Legged Deadlifts, Hamstring Curls, etc). If you're trying to lose fat and keep your muscle, I don't think cardio would hurt, but save it for after your weight training. You might also want to consider High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). You can find some threads on it using the search.

I've been following WBB 1 for about 2 weeks now, and I've seen very good strength and size gains as compared to my other workout routines. You can find the other 2 WBB routines here. You can check out my progress in my journal, and the journal section of the forum is a good place to get food ideas. If you're serious about your weight training, I'd recommend you get a journal started to help keep you on track. Good luck with your goals
    My Journal

First Bulk Complete:
    September 16, 2003 (165 lbs, ~12% bf) -> March 7, 2004 (198 lbs. ~13% bf)

Current Status: Cutting

wHaKdOuTgEmInI
    So how many rest days should I have exactly? I keep switching my thoughts on everything and so far i'm up to training Monday thru Thursday for every muscle group with nothing to do on Fri, Sat, and Sun, Should I keep those days for stomach and cardio maybe? Because JUST doing the abs/stomach should give my other muscles a rest, so you figure 4 days for the split routine, and three days off but doing cardio on those three. I agree with you on legs being a big enough muscle group to dedicate a day all to themselves. I've started a journal, (at home) which just made me realize that I NEED 45 LB. PLATES because no more weight will even fit on ANY of my bars. Needin to go UP. Also, I noticed the food you eat is basically the same things each day. I've never tried to diet really but I always opt for the lower fat things. i figure if I ever hoe around on my diet, i could always work it off on the treadmill.... I've written down some of your foods, plus I could use some protein powder. Is it all about the protein that makes muscles grow better/faster? I could probably use some supplements for the bone cracking, I have this weird thing going on in my bones, they crack sometimes when I lift.....oh well, thanks for the reply............late

- PitVicious
    Last edited by PitVicious; 10-01-2003 at 07:47 PM.
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm

So how many rest days should I have exactly? I keep switching my thoughts on everything and so far i'm up to training Monday thru Thursday for every muscle group with nothing to do on Fri, Sat, and Sun, Should I keep those days for stomach and cardio maybe? Because JUST doing the abs/stomach should give my other muscles a rest, so you figure 4 days for the split routine, and three days off but doing cardio on those three.
    The routine I'm on (WBB 1) only has 3 days of lifting with 4 days off, split like this:
    Day 1: Chest/Back
    Day 2: Rest
    Day 3: Legs
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest
    And do abs on one of your lifting days. I do mine on Chest/Back day, but I don't think it really matters which one of the days you choose. I have about an hour of cardio three times each week (Day 2, Day 3, and Day 7). I would prefer to do my Day 3 cardio on a rest day, but that's the way my league was scheduled. I'd recommend against 4 straight lifting days if your schedule will allow it because you probably won't be lifting as intensely as you could if you had some rest between days. Cardio on your rest days should be fine, and you're the best judge of whether it's making you feel worn out or not.

Also, I noticed the food you eat is basically the same things each day. I've never tried to diet really but I always opt for the lower fat things. i figure if I ever hoe around on my diet, i could always work it off on the treadmill.... I've written down some of your foods, plus I could use some protein powder. Is it all about the protein that makes muscles grow better/faster?
    Yeah, I'm on a semi-tight student budget, so I usually stick to simpler foods I can prepare myself rather than eating out...plus it's easier to cut and paste into my journal if there is less variance About the protein powder, it doesn't make your muscles grow faster, but eating enough protein (whether it's from powder or normal food) means that your body has the material to build muscle after a workout. I think the general rule is eat at least 1g of protein per pound of your mass. You should check online for supplements as GNC is a complete ripoff. The guys here run At Large Nutrition. I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I've seen a couple people post that they were satisfied with the service. You should also take a good once a day vitamin, 1.5-2g of Vitamin C spread out through the day, and fish oil caps to get your essential fatty acids.

I'm not sure about your bone cracking thing, maybe get it checked out by your doctor. I once had a similar problem with my knee; it would make a popping sound when I was doing Leg Presses. My doctor looked at it, and decided there was some fluid there that wasn't draining. He had me wear a knee brace for a couple weeks, and the problem went away. I wouldn't really expect a supplement to take care of the problem, but there might be one out there I haven't heard about.
    My Journal

First Bulk Complete:
    September 16, 2003 (165 lbs, ~12% bf) -> March 7, 2004 (198 lbs. ~13% bf)

Current Status: Cutting

wHaKdOuTgEmInI
    i'm really not sure about the wbb routine...doesn't seem like enough. I'm not dissing it, but i have alot of energy. All those rest days could be spent focusing on other things (working the group that you want to develop most). I could give it a try though. About the "good foods" i'm about to go shopping right now and look for the things that have protein in them. "I have become a label reader" now I just have to get that intake down pat. I.E carbs,protein,and fats.....thanks.....late
    LuNaTiCtOcBoOm