Thread: How strict to actually get?

How strict to actually get?

Ok, so after many many years of hard, consistent training (read my journal to see how I train)...I have never really focused TOO MUCH on the diet aspect (I know, I know...diet is the most important part!!!).

I've always been one to consistently get to the gym 3 days/week, and give it my 100% every single session....in addition to that, I train BJJ 3 - 5 days a week, and also give it my 100%. My diet has always been, "Just try to eat mostly good stuff", and that's the problem. I have always been in OK shape, physique-wise...but for the amount I train, and how hard I train, you would think that I'd be chisled out of stone!!! My goal is not to get huge and jacked....My goal is to be the best BJJ fighter I can be, while keeping my squat, dead, and bench at 315, 405, and 225 respectively for reps....In addition to that, I would like to be flat-stomached and lean looking. I'm not talking abercrombie model looking....just single digit bodyfat, ya know?

Okay, so that said, here is an example of what I have been doing for the past 6 years or so:

Monday through Thursday, I have a protien shake w/milk in the mornings, sometimes with oatmeal, sometimes not.....Lunch...eh maybe pizza, maybe a turkey and cheese sandwich...depending on how I feel....Dinner...maybe some eggs, maybe a tuna sandwich, but most likely chicken fingers in ranch dressing.....always a protien shake after I lift....Sometimes I'd be a little bit "healthier" in my food choices, but more often then not, I'd let myself slip up and just eat whatever.

Weekends, anything goes....Taco bell for dinner...eat out at diners at 4 am in the morning after drinking my ass off all night....every single Friday and Saturday night, get hammered....Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwiches for breakfast....pizza, cheesesteaks, whatever!!!!

No clue on my caloric intake, macros, or any of that! I rarely ate vegetables, if ever. However, I never skip workouts ever.

This diet was apparent in my physique, even though I trained hard and consistently.

Now (starting last week):

- Still consistent with the training
    - I'm using a calorie counter app on my phone, to consistently hit my target number of calories each day (training days I add more calories, but it's all stuff that's entered into and calculated by the app)
    - I'm eating 3 - 5 meals per day, and each meal is high in protien
    - Using my app, I know that I'm getting at least my bodyweight in grams of protien, usually more
    - I don't focus too hard on exact macro breakdown, but in addition to getting AT LEAST bodyweight in grams of protien, all the rest are made up of carbs and fats. Due to my food choices, it tends to breakdown to be on the fairly low fat side (not that I have anything against fat, it's just that seems to be how it works out from the foods I'm choosing).
    - I attempt to eat mostly "healthy stuff" (pretty much all I eat is milk, protien powder, fruit, veggies, chicken, any kind of meat, wheat toast, cheese, tuna, eggs, etc...)
    - I'm not sticking to it 7 days a week, and cutting out the drinking as well

So basically I switched from a pretty shitty diet, to a pretty decent one where I actually have a target caloric goal that I meet each day, hit at least my bodyweight in grams of protien, and cut out the every weekend binging of "anything I want". In only a week it's already starting to show! I'm getting leaner, yet staying the same weight!

My question is...how strict should I actually get with all this, considering my goal (basically, not trying to get JACKED...just lean, and actually see some physique results)?
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Ok, so after many many years of hard, consistent training (read my journal to see how I train)...I have never really focused TOO MUCH on the diet aspect (I know, I know...diet is the most important part!!!).

I've always been one to consistently get to the gym 3 days/week, and give it my 100% every single session....in addition to that, I train BJJ 3 - 5 days a week, and also give it my 100%. My diet has always been, "Just try to eat mostly good stuff", and that's the problem. I have always been in OK shape, physique-wise...but for the amount I train, and how hard I train, you would think that I'd be chisled out of stone!!! My goal is not to get huge and jacked....My goal is to be the best BJJ fighter I can be, while keeping my squat, dead, and bench at 315, 405, and 225 respectively for reps....In addition to that, I would like to be flat-stomached and lean looking. I'm not talking abercrombie model looking....just single digit bodyfat, ya know?

Okay, so that said, here is an example of what I have been doing for the past 6 years or so:

Monday through Thursday, I have a protien shake w/milk in the mornings, sometimes with oatmeal, sometimes not.....Lunch...eh maybe pizza, maybe a turkey and cheese sandwich...depending on how I feel....Dinner...maybe some eggs, maybe a tuna sandwich, but most likely chicken fingers in ranch dressing.....always a protien shake after I lift....Sometimes I'd be a little bit "healthier" in my food choices, but more often then not, I'd let myself slip up and just eat whatever.

Weekends, anything goes....Taco bell for dinner...eat out at diners at 4 am in the morning after drinking my ass off all night....every single Friday and Saturday night, get hammered....Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwiches for breakfast....pizza, cheesesteaks, whatever!!!!

No clue on my caloric intake, macros, or any of that! I rarely ate vegetables, if ever. However, I never skip workouts ever.

This diet was apparent in my physique, even though I trained hard and consistently.

Now (starting last week):

- Still consistent with the training
    - I'm using a calorie counter app on my phone, to consistently hit my target number of calories each day (training days I add more calories, but it's all stuff that's entered into and calculated by the app)
    - I'm eating 3 - 5 meals per day, and each meal is high in protien
    - Using my app, I know that I'm getting at least my bodyweight in grams of protien, usually more
    - I don't focus too hard on exact macro breakdown, but in addition to getting AT LEAST bodyweight in grams of protien, all the rest are made up of carbs and fats. Due to my food choices, it tends to breakdown to be on the fairly low fat side (not that I have anything against fat, it's just that seems to be how it works out from the foods I'm choosing).
    - I attempt to eat mostly "healthy stuff" (pretty much all I eat is milk, protien powder, fruit, veggies, chicken, any kind of meat, wheat toast, cheese, tuna, eggs, etc...)
    - I'm not sticking to it 7 days a week, and cutting out the drinking as well

So basically I switched from a pretty shitty diet, to a pretty decent one where I actually have a target caloric goal that I meet each day, hit at least my bodyweight in grams of protien, and cut out the every weekend binging of "anything I want". In only a week it's already starting to show! I'm getting leaner, yet staying the same weight!

My question is...how strict should I actually get with all this, considering my goal (basically, not trying to get JACKED...just lean, and actually see some physique results)?

I can't really answer your question. I just wanted to add that I've experienced the same thing myself. I got extremely strict with my bulk after I noticed my stomach was getting a bit to big but I still wasn't ready to cut down.

The results like yours have been amazing. I have gotten slimmer but actually gained a pound or two hard to tell with such small increases in weight.

I'm using my fitness pal for android seems to be the best so far. My only gripe is it doesn't give you a percentage of fat/carbs/protien like fitday does.

Get as strict as you need to get to see the results you want. I was told not to restrict everything all at once, that way, in the future when you stall after being lightly strict, you can move to moderately strict, then seriously strict, then extremely strict etc etc. Be a little strict until you stop seeing results, then tighten it up as you go.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Single digit body fat?
    Calorically - Strict
    "Healthy" Diet - Moderate

Good luck man.
    Last edited by BallsWideDeep; 09-15-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...Bastardo-Flaco
    14" Box===240x5 (09/02/11)
    Bench====180x6 (08/25/11)
    Deadlift===375x5 (09/06/11)
    Press==== 115x6 (08/21/11)

In my experience, tighten things up as you go. I started dieting at 300lbs, where everything was easy (just stop eating so much garbage, still went out drinking once a week usually, couple cheat meals a week, etc). It's gotten stricter in steps as I leaned out. Currently down to 204lbs and things have gotten MUCH stricter than the start (at the start I wouldn't bother keeping track of things like cheese in my eggs, if I ate almonds I didn't keep track of how much, etc). Now even things like ketchup have been taken out.

If I started with it how I'm currently dieting there's no way I would've kept it up.. doing it gradually kept me moving
    Last edited by Cricket_Fire; 09-15-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    I'm weak now, but not for long

I'm actually pretty damn strict as far as hitting my goal calories each day, and hitting my protien requirements as well.

Basically, my average breakdown for the last week and a half has been:

Net Calories: 2000 - 2100
    Protein intake: At least bodyweight in grams (180 grams minimum)
    The remainder usually works out to be about 80 grams of fat or less, and the rest carbs

I'm not always eating perfectly clean though, that's the thing. I'm hitting the calories and protien...I get a lot of the carbs from the milk, which is sugar.

I dunno, it's only been just over a week, we'll see how things go.

Thanks for the replies.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

I'm not talking abercrombie model looking....just single digit bodyfat, ya know?
    Really, I doubt many abercrombie models are too far below "single digit bodyfat". A real 9% is going to be a flat stomach, probably not a full blown 8 pack for most but I would say most of the abercrombie poster boys are 7-8% with some good lighting in black and white photos.

The problem

No clue on my caloric intake

The answer
    - I'm using a calorie counter app on my phone, to consistently hit my target number of calories

See above.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 09-15-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

If not getting too "jacked" is your goal I would simply eat healthy and lots of food to build the most muscle. As long as your diet isn't too bad your muscle you gain will cause your metabolism to increase and thus burn more fat. You might see slight pudge at first but then followed by a slimming down of your physique (assuming calories are kept relatively the same)
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com

Quote Originally Posted by alexspt View Post
    If not getting too "jacked" is your goal I would simply eat healthy and lots of food to build the most muscle. As long as your diet isn't too bad your muscle you gain will cause your metabolism to increase and thus burn more fat. You might see slight pudge at first but then followed by a slimming down of your physique (assuming calories are kept relatively the same)

No. Just no. Eating healthy does not inherently produce muscle and then consequently make you leaner.

He needs to have some sort of regard and control for where his calories are at if he wants to be lean, regardless of how healthy he eats and how much muscle he ever builds.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54