The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Meet results

Hybrid View

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar

Meet results

APF/AAPF No Limits

Things were very shaky from the start and didn't go to well, but I did fight back and at least got a PR squat and total. This is how it went:

weight- 145.5

Squat:
    1st- 440xmiss(moved down about an inch, lost balance and stood back up, lift over)
    2nd- 475xmiss(I think the low rack height messed me up and I went down a bit funny)
    3rd- 475x 3 whites- EZ. Do or die. Went down strong and deep and shot out of the hole.

Bench:
    1st- 245x3 whites- EZ
    2nd- 275xmiss (little more than half-way)
    3rd- 275xmiss (about the same)

I was getting a great pop out of the bottom, but then just hit a wall. I'm really not liking this because all my board numbers are up and my bench is not.

Subtotal- 720

Deadlift:
    1st- 450x 3 whites- EZ
    2nd- 500xmiss(knees)
    3rd- 500xmiss(just under knees)

Man I wanted that 500 so bad, but I was sooo shot after the long day.

Total- 1170(way lower than expected). I also only hit 3/9 which is terrible, but at least better than a bomb.

What did make me feel better is that all of my lifters did great! I was soo proud of all of them for just giving it their best and making some good choices on attempts. They really seemed to listen to what I have been teaching them and all came home with trophies and PR's. My GF hit over 2xbw deadlift with a PR 250. My "little" cousin who is bigger than me, but just turned 16 hit a huge raw PR bench of 260 and dead of 440. Two of my other training partners hit PR's on the deadlift(one being his first meet, the other his first sanctioned). Another friend of mine brought his sister down and they both did great. He threw on my first Inzer Poly bench shirt and he weighs 50 lbs more than me. He hit a huge PR of 360@198 that he had to fight for what felt like 30 seconds, but never gave up. My first regular training partner when I started powerlifting had recently taken time off for a few months because his mind wasn't into it and his work hours are ridiculous. He comes back and smoked a 525 pull @180 and narrowly missed 545.

And last, but not least I want to thank all that made the meet happen. CT did a great job and with the help of all Team Taylor it was a very good meet. Can't wait to do some more of them. I also want to give my congrats to Vinnie, Cathy, Jay and Ed for some great lifting and thank Pete and Eric for helping me with my equipment and motivation. I'll be back bigger and stronger in december. Time to do the work now.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good work Chris.

You gave it a run, and all it means is you know what you've got to work on for the next one
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

congrats! excellent lifts... it sounds like it was a lot of fun

Good job dude! You are going to have days like that, everyone, even the best do.

Congrats, Latty. I guess your total is disappointing to you, but I would kill for a 1170 total. What do you think happened on bench press and deadlift? What do you plan on doing to fix them?

bone crusher
    great work yo! Every competition gives you more experience and you'll kepp getting better

Great job.

Was the bench in a DD?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Great numbers. Sounds like your lifters had a good day too. I'd love to compete sometime down the road. Good job man, keep it up.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Even though it wasn't what you were expecting, those are still some damn good numbers dude! Great job! Awesome to hear that the team did so well too.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Good work, bro! It's funny that I always compare my lifts to yours, even though I'm bigger (and much better looking ) than you. Keep up the good work!!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

That is great. Good to see folks competing and not just talking about being a powerlifter. Keep at it, and before you know it, you will be hitting those numbers in warmups.

B.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

I think my main reason for not doing as well as I'd like is that it seems I always drop a few lbs the week of the meet and I believe this affects my performance. Most of my training is done at ~149-152 lbs and I competed at ~145. This next meet I'm just gonna eat until the meet and hope to weigh between 160-165. I'll see how my performance goes there. It will be my last meet as a Junior.

Paul- yes, DD. Today I tried an open back poly for the first time and hit that 275 that stopped me 5 days ago. I'll experiment with both shirts going into this meet.

BM- My next meet is going to be the APF Southern States in FL. Are any of your guys going to that one? I can't wait.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

You get to travel all the way down to Fl. for a meet? That's awesome. Quite a trip.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175