The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Con Ganas

drew Good point, I've had some great workouts while sore.

aka23 Interesting theory. Hopefully it works hehe

I will workout in a little while and post what I do.

Also I stopped keeping a log of my workouts, thus WBB is my only source for my workout logs now.

I'm thinking of trying a new approach to my diet, it's way easier than counting every single calorie and should let me burn off a few pounds slowly. Basically eat 3 meals a day, no more, no less, and keep each meal under 1000 calories. It's easier this way because I eat so much home cooked food it is very difficult to get an accurate calorie count. At 3000 calories I don't really lose fat it seems, nor do I gain it. I never did 2500-3000 calories long enough to determine weight loss. I do know that at 1200-1800 I lose about 1.5 - 2lbs a week which is too much and I think muscle goes with that. 3 meals a day should put me definitely over 2200 and definitely under 3000, this should be a better range to eat at so as not to lose muscle. This is my worst fear, and it's why I hate cutting. When I did my first cut I lost tons of weight, enough to where I look pretty good with a shirt on, now I just need to look good with a shirt off I wouldn't say I'm officially cutting, just restricting myself to 3 balanced meals a day
    Last edited by Dedicated; 11-10-2003 at 12:19 PM.

Squats
    65lbs X 10 narrow stance here, knee felt pressure
    100lbs X 10 I did these and all the rest wide and knee was ok
    135lbs X 8
    155lbs X 5
    165lbs X 3
    135lbs X 8
    Leg Curls
    25lbs X 10
    35lbs X 10
    35lbs X 10
    35lbs X 10
    Walking Dumbell Lunges These kicked my ass.
    20lbs X 15 7-10 second rest then...
    20lbs X 10

Did some leg stuff, looks like I can start squatting again. Tommorow might do something dunno.

Hmm... I like Lee Priest, and he has some great quotes, but of course you can't overtrain if you're on steroids!

Nice squatting BTW. I use a narrow stance (~shoulder width, maybe a smidgen wider) on squats, but you have to be really careful when you do.
    Last edited by Scott S; 11-10-2003 at 02:10 PM.

Good leg session, got them lunges in there too -

Bent Over Barbell Rows These went well
    135lbs X 8
    155lbs X 7
    165lbs X 5
    155lbs X 6
    135lbs X 8
    Chinups These SUCKED, definitely wasn't feelin it, no strength whatsoever
    3 overhand
    8 underhand
    Deadlifts These went well for the simple fact that they did not aggravate my wrist, lower back was toast though, I did squats yesterday so it wasn't 100% to begin with, regardless they went well I thought
    135lbs X 10
    200lbs X 3
    235lbs X 3 For the contest, couldn't get 6, I didn't want to push it, better safe than sorry though
    240lbs X 1 (PB)
    225lbs X 6
    185lbs X 10
    Shrugs
    185lbs X 8
    185lbs X 8
    185lbs X 8
    Plate Crunches
    45lbs X 20
    45lbs X 20
    45lbs X 20
    Side Bends These are a joke lol, wonder if I will feel it tommorow
    15lbs X 10
    40lbs X 20
    40lbs X 20
    40lbs X 45
    40lbs X 25
    Russian Twists
    BW X 12
    BW+10lbs X 8
    BW X 12
    BW X 6
    BW X 12
    BW X 12
    Crunches
    BW X 20
    BW X 20

Did some back and ab work.

Tommorow I want to do something but don't know what. I don't think I'm ready to bench, left pec feels uncomfortable but that could change tommorow. Left wrist is still bothering me but it didn't bother me during deads or anything really. I stimulated the bi's today during those few chinups so I don't want to work them tommorow. Tri's, shoulders, legs, chest, HIIT, are all a possibility for tommorow, gonna wait till tommorow and see what happens.

Music: Pantera and Sepultura, the old songs, been a while since I listened to some metal so it was nice, great motivators

Scott Yea I was going narrow too till I hurt my knee with the leg extensions, although the reason I was going narrow was cause I hurt my abductors going so wide LOL. Anyways they apparently are "stronger" now cause they feel fine today after yesterdays session, so going wide shouldn't be a problem for me, I hope Narrow definitely works the quads harder I think also. I will try to mix it up in the future.

CoCoa Thanks for the support man, you rock
    Last edited by Dedicated; 11-11-2003 at 02:40 PM.

Hey boss,
    Haven't read all the posts in your journal, just this latest one.
    My comments:
    1) I've read that side bends/twists etc, should be done in high volume, low weight as they are very easy to develop and unattractive when large (obliques)
    2) seated crunches with a 45 is nearly impossible (assuming your not cradling the plate on your lap and your actually holding it.
    Try grabbing 2x25lbers. 3 is the max that I can fit my small hands around.
    3) keep working at those pullups!

Hey man welcome to my journal!

Cool I will keep the reps high with the side bends.
    This is how I do the crunches, except I do them on a decline bench, I hold the plate the same way as the guy in the video.

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthl...latecrunch.mpg

Sometimes I will do them on the floor just like the guy in the video, but lately I've been using the bench on a decline. They really don't seem that hard though hmm.

Phenomenal Deads bro. Looking good as always.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

You rock too man - ...nice effort on your back, and abs as well!

Originally posted by Dedicated
    This is how I do the crunches, except I do them on a decline bench, I hold the plate the same way as the guy in the video.

Sometimes I will do them on the floor just like the guy in the video, but lately I've been using the bench on a decline. They really don't seem that hard though hmm.
    my bad! I do them slightly different which makes it much harder to hold a 45.

I could be wrong, but the movement in the vid looks like it has a big lower back involvement, maybe even more so than abdominal.

I do my ab work on a decline bench as well.
    I dont have a video to show it so perhaps I'll make one at home and post it up here.

I kinda made this movement up based on what I read about developing muscles. They need to fully contract to grow.
    Since abs are fully contracted when your back is hunched in a C shape and your knees are close to your face (or so my brain tells me) I credit this move for all of my abdominal growth

Here are the basics:
    1) sit on the decline bench (upright like your sitting in a chair)
    2) hold a 25lb plate (or 2 or 3)with both hands about 3 inches off your chest (dont let it touch your legs at any point)
    3) lean forward, exhale and concentrate on contracting your abdominal muscles.
    4) feel the weight PULLING you down into the contraction, which is forcing a harder contraction of the muscle (as opposed to using the weight as resistance like in the video above)
    5) squeeze for 2-3 seconds
    6) sit up to an erect position
    7) inhale
    8) repeat for 3 sets of 10

This move has almost no lower back involvement however you must have a good level of abdominal development and be able to feel the muscle contract for this move to work.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 11-12-2003 at 09:39 AM.

Bench Alternating Grips
    100lbs X 4
    150lbs X 3
    180lbs X 2
    185lbs X 1
    200lbs X 2
    200lbs X 3
    200lbs X 2
    195lbs X 3
    185lbs X 5
    Close Grip Bench using a closer grip for this, harder
    140lbs X 8
    140lbs X 6
    140lbs X 5
    135lbs X 6
    135lbs X 4
    135lbs X 3
    Standing Military Press
    120lbs X 6
    120lbs X 5
    120lbs X 3.5
    Dumbell Bench
    30lbs X 8
    40lbs X 12
    40lbs X 10
    Lateral Raises
    20lbs X 8
    20lbs X 8
    Seated Rear Lateral Raises
    15lbs X 8
    Hammer Curls
    40lbs X 8
    Concentration Curls
    40lbs X 7
    Cuban Rotations
    20lbs X 12
    20lbs X 12
    20lbs X 12
    External Rotations
    12lbs X 12
    8lbs X 12
    8lbs X 12

Ya a video would be great. I think I might be genetically gifted when it comes to abs, just gotta lose that bf. You should name them too if you make a video, Geoff Crunches or something hehe.

Decent workout today, no huge power improvement or anything sucks. Wrist is feeling alot better, although when I tried to do wrist curls I couldn't though cause it hurt. Otherwise wrist wasn't an issue. Left pec is still bothering me, kind of surprising because it has been a couple days since I hit chest.

Tommorow dunno what I will do if anything. Maybe I should try following a routine...or maybe I shouldn't, hard to say.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 11-12-2003 at 08:13 PM.

Routine, shmootine. Just hit whatever isn't too sore and you'll be fine!

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    nice sessions bro' really AWESOME!

have you ever thought about doing any ironman comps? you seem gifted in the ability to go and go and go LOL I think you would do great. it depends on your competitiveness though, some people dont feel a need to compete in anything, while others do.

For myself, I like to compete at things. Even if I dont win, I still get enjoyment out of the competition itself, which is why my trainer when I was in wrestling liked training me. I just plain enjoyed the competition and getting thrown around was like a free ride at the amusement park. Course it FEELS better to win LOL.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

I tried to make a zip but the smallest I can get it zipped is 3mb and the max this site allows is 1mb
    sorry, I'll try to drop you an email with it

That's some killer deadlifting. Nice work on the benching, too.
    My Journal

First Bulk Complete:
    September 16, 2003 (165 lbs, ~12% bf) -> March 7, 2004 (198 lbs. ~13% bf)

Current Status: Cutting

Scott I guess your right. The problem is I can't stick a routine, once I start lifting I just want to lift more and more lol. I came really close to starting that meltdown routine you are doing.

Kenn ROFL strongman, never thought of that. I don't think I would be strong enough? There's lots of guys who are in way better shape than me. I have the desire but I don't think I have the strength and endurance you know. I smoked cigarretes for several years and did drugs and stuff so I dunno if my physical condition can ever be good enough to compete.

geoff Do you use IRC? Could send through that, you can try email also if you want. If not it's no big deal. If you have irc lemme know and I'll send you some server/channel info, I run a small server, about 1000 users and we could meet up there if you want.

Crystallio Thanks man and welcome to my journal! Everytime I read your journal I tell myself I need to do WBB 1. You are making sick progress lol, but then again I'm on a calorie deficit so I dunno if my progress would be that good heh.

Dam it's late, this sucks, gonna be tired tommorow, been on the computer all night doing homework and still not done, sucks bad.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 11-12-2003 at 10:53 PM.

Did Chest today, went really bad...

Bench
    135lbs X 6
    155lbs X 4
    170lbs X 2
    185lbs X 6
    185lbs X 3 Nothing no power or motivation whatsoever here.
    185lbs X 4
    Incline
    170lbs X 6
    170lbs X 4
    170lbs X 3

No sleep, motivation and the extreme soreness throughout my entire body should have been a sign to lay off the weights today. I went out last night and got trashed and it really affected my workout. After the workout I went to bed for a good 6 hours so I guess I was REALLY tired heh. Oh well **** happens, it will be better I'm sure next time.

I'm almost out of protein so it's supplement time again. I was thinking of ordering from Atlarge but I just don't have the money. I'd really like to especially since the stuff I buy is CRAP and doesn't mix but it's sooo inexpensive compared to everything else. I'm thinking of picking up some creatine also, not sure. I won't be buying anymore ECA and I've stopped taking the ECA I have permanently.

I took today as a cheat day on my diet, I feel so beat up so hopefully all this sleep and food will make me feel better.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 11-15-2003 at 08:54 PM.

Westside
    hey think of it this way even when your trashed, tired, and not motivated your crappy lifts are still better than mine lol

dont worry about it man ive had these kinds of days and it sucks but give it a few days and you will be right back on track making new personal records in no time. C ya man

Nice workouts bro youve been making great progress.
    Dont even sweat the bad day we all get them, come in next time and youll do some damage.
    weight: 155?
    height: 5'9"

-LONGER TERM GOALS-
    benchpress: 275x1
    military press: 160x1
    deadlift: 405x1

Thanks guys. Yea I'm still feeling like crap today too, exhausted. Tommorow gonna try to do some squats maybe, must get sleeeep.

I'm trying to come up with a routine, a once a week type deal though, because I want to hit the muscles only 1 time a week to see how it works again. Last time I did this I wasn't eating enough so that's prolly why my gains sucked, so I'd like to give it another shot. If it works, I'll do this for a while till I plateau and then go back to hitting the same muscles more frequently till I plateau again and repeat.

Not sure what routine to go with....

This one is 3x a week, 4 days off.
    Chest/Tri/Shoulder
    off
    Legs
    off
    Back/Bi's
    off
    off

OR...

This one is 6x a week, 1 day off.
    Chest - this would be like just benching, maybe some flys
    Biceps - just curls, nothing else
    Shoulders - militaries + lateral raises(rear and regular)
    Back/Abs - big workout here, deads, rows, pullups, pullovers, abstuff
    Tris - just close grip bench pretty much, nothing else
    Legs - squats, lunges, leg curls mainly
    off

If I wanna try the once a week thing I NEED a routine so I don't train more than once a week lol. There is always WBB1 also hmm.

Any other ideas?
    I don't like pushing 2 days in a row.
    Also I don't like working abs before or after leg or back day, but working them on those days is ok.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 11-16-2003 at 08:19 PM.

Hey, if you haven't tried it yet, why not go for WBB1?

I think you need to take a few days off either way though. I forget that not everyone can drink until 4AM and then hit the weights hard as always the next morning. lol

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    hey dedicated, hows it going? if your ooking to change it up a bit, I would try doing the 6 days a week routine, although I would change a few things.

The way you have it listed I dont think you would have enough recovery time between bodyparts to take maximum advantage of the routine.

Something like this would be better I think:
    mond - chest
    tuesday- back
    wed - triceps
    thursday - curls
    friday - shoulders
    saturday- legs
    sunday REST

this give you at least one day rest between supporting muscle groups, and two days rest between legs and back and three days rest between back and legs.

I would also suggest pick two exercises at random each week, and destroy that body part with that particular exercise. This would stress a different exercise each week and cause enough confusion to the routine for your body to grow while also keeping it interesting. IE: one week pick BB benchpress and lateral raises, next week pick DB curls and Squats, next week pick DB flatbench Flyes and Military presses...........
    Last edited by Kenn; 11-17-2003 at 03:08 PM.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Westside
    damn your going to let dedicated lift 6 times a week HAHHAH your due for a burnout with his workouts... were talking about the kid who does on average 50 sets per workout.. haha jk man but good luck and dont wear urself down man.

drew Yea I also smoked alot that night too, I swear when I woke up I was still high lol:

Kenn YOU ROCK I'm gonna do that routine you suggested. Now the only thing I do is decide when to start hmm. I worked chest Saturday, so maybe start today with triceps and go from there, would be exactly the same except rest day would fall on Friday. Will see if I have time to start today, definitely gonna use that routine though seems better than the 6x a week one I had.

I bought some creatine today, lets see if it really makes my muscles bigger by filling them with water haha, I wanna look big I also bought some more protein, chocolate fudge mmm