The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Con Ganas

162.5 pounds

Resting.

Full Body High Reps

Bodyweight 164 pounds

Legs
    Squats 95lbs X 15
    Leg Curls 35lbs X 15
    Standing Calf Raises 95lbs X 20
    Chest
    Bench 145lbs X 12
    Incline Bench 135lbs X 11
    Speed Bench 100lbs X 15
    Flys 25lbs X 15
    Triceps
    Close Grip Bench 135lbs X 7
    Back
    Pullups 2 reps
    Chinups 1.5 reps
    Bent Over Barbell Rows 115lbs X 15
    Deadlifts 185lbs X 12
    Shrugs 185lbs X 10
    Shoulders
    Military Press 95lbs X 10 or 11
    Lateral Raises 20lbs X 15
    Seated Reverse Lateral Raises 8lbs X 15
    Biceps
    Barbell Curl 50lbs X 15
    Concentration Curl 25lbs X 15 after 12 had assistance
    Stomach
    5 minutes of nonstop situps, russian twists, crunches, leg raises etc

Good workout, my grip was off on the close grip bench, I need to go a tad wider. Also I need to go a bit lighter, maybe 115-125 somewhere in there.

Speed bench ROCKED, 100lbs was perfect. I did every set explosively till I got to number 15, my power was down and even though I tryed it wasn't nearly as explosive as the other reps. Awesome exercise. Everything else was the same, no improvements really, although I did add 5 reps to calf raises. I got very little sleep last night, this workout took place at 330am when I woke up, need sleep!
    Last edited by Dedicated; 09-15-2003 at 10:05 AM.

162.5 pounds

Resting, feel great, not too sore.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 09-16-2003 at 05:28 AM.

Full Body High Reps

Bodyweight 162.5 pounds

Legs
    Squats 100lbs X 15 added 5 pounds
    Leg Curls 35lbs X 15
    Standing Calf Raises 100lbs X 20 added 5 pounds
    Chest
    Bench 145lbs X 15 struggled but got 15 this time!
    Incline Bench 135lbs X 10 lost a rep here
    Speed Bench 100lbs X 15
    Flys 25lbs X 15
    Triceps
    Close Grip Bench 120lbs X 11 real close grip but got the form down now
    Back
    Pullups 2 reps
    Chinups 2.5 reps did an extra chinup today
    Bent Over Barbell Rows 115lbs X 15 hard still
    Deadlifts 185lbs X 13 extra rep here, was hard
    Shrugs 185lbs X 10 lost grip here again
    Shoulders
    Military Press 95lbs X 12 better by 1 rep
    Lateral Raises 20lbs X 15
    Seated Reverse Lateral Raises 8lbs X 15
    Biceps
    Barbell Curl 50lbs X 15 was sloppy on this
    Concentration Curl 25lbs X 15 got all 15 good this time
    Stomach
    5 minutes of nonstop situps, russian twists, crunches, leg raises etc

Running - 1/2 mile 4 minutes 15 seconds

Good workout. Increased on squats and calf raise by adding 5 pounds. My legs felt strong. Pushed the flat bench hard, got 15 barely, lets see if I can do it again next time dunno.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 09-17-2003 at 10:35 AM.

160.5 pounds

Resting, bodyweight is at an all time low. It's prolly overnight water loss cause of the ECA's I started taking again. I'm sure tommorow I will weigh in at around the same or higher because I am still taking ECA's throughout the day.

Tommorow I will probably do high reps, but low reps again are a possibility. I want to do some heavier sets, especially on bench and squats, but at the same time I wanna make sure I can hit that 145lbs X 15 again and I still haven't hit my 15 rep maxes/goals for incline and cg bench. Decisions decisions hehe.

Also if I go heavy I plan to devote like 10-20 minutes of warming up with stretches before starting because there will be no warm up sets before any exercises.

Tommorow I will also devise a new technique for shrugs so that I do not have to deadlift the freaking weight to shrug heh. I'm gonna lay the the bar on the bench and load the weight that way. Much easier and I will also take a breather after those deads so my grip doesn't suck ass like it has been with shrugs.

My diet is better, I am making a conscious effort to maintain my calories at a certain range. I like the 1600-1800 a day range right now and I will aim for at least 1600 calories a day but no more than 1800 calories every single day and see how that works. Before I would keep calories low but some days I would eat like 1200 and others like 1900. This will take more discipline but I know I can do it, and it will give me a good range so that I know what is needed to lose weight, and what is needed to gain weight later if I need to do that.

Oh forgot to add I'm actually sore today a little. My back, in particular my lats are a little sore as well as my triceps.

The part of the tricep that's like near the torso, that part. Weird feeling to be sore in that spot, maybe it was the CG bench? Anyone know if CG bench targets that area of the tricep?
    Last edited by Dedicated; 09-18-2003 at 11:22 AM.

Nice session. Also looks like you have everything planned out now, if you stick with it I'm sure you'll get the results you're after. Stay dedicated bro.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Thanks man. Yea it was an amazing session for me. Gonna try to get plenty of sleep tonight and wake up at 4am so I can hit it hard tommorow.

161 pounds

Low reps today

Squats 115lbs X 7
    Leg Curls 55lbs X 7
    Standing Calf Raises 115lbs X 12
    Bench 180lbs X 3, 175lbs X 4
    Incline 165lbs X 5
    Close Grip Bench 155lbs X 3
    Speed Bench 100lbs X 15
    Flys 35lbs X 6
    Bent Rows 135lbs X 6
    Pullups 3 X BW
    Chinups 4 X BW
    Deadlifts 225lbs X 4
    Shrugs 205lbs X 5
    Military Press 115lbs X 5
    Lateral Raises 30lbs X 5
    Seated Reverse Lateral Raises 15lbs X 5
    Barbell Curls 70lbs X 5
    Concentration Curls 35lbs X 7
    Stomach - 5 iminutes of nonstop crunches etc

All-time high for deadlifts, before my max was 205lbs X 3. Nice improvements in other areas too, problem with not being warmed up before flat bench. I might start with speed bench and then do flat bench. Notice I did 2 sets of flat, was pissed at the 180 X 3, if I was warmed up could have done better. Doing low reps again next time I think.

Glad to see your back in it. Thought you were gonna let this journal die? keep it up b1tch!
    Something has been taken from deep inside of me
    The secret Iíve kept locked away no one can ever see
    Wounds so deep they never show they never go away
    Like moving pictures in my head for years and years theyíve played

Ya it got annoying to post meals and stuff so I let the other one die. Few weeks later I started this one.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Hey watsup. Hows HST working for you? I thought about doing it myself, but what ive got going on now is working so I dont wanna mess with it. I noticed you mention a problem with getting the weight up for shrugs. Since your shrug and deadlift weight are ~the same, you could just shrug after every deadlift rep, if you dont think it would interfere too much. My shrug weight is too much for my grip, so I use straps, and then at the end of my workout do static holds to strengthen my grip. Another possibility for you.

Are you still cutting? How low do you wanna go? And whats your bf% at now? Goodluck with your goals, whatever they are!

Ya cutting, I'm slowing the cut down though, I upped my calories a bit and gonna see how that goes. Right now i'm hovering at 160.5-162.5 pounds and taking in 1600-1800 calories a day, 1700ish seems to be the norm. Not sure on bf%, it needs to go down though still.

I decided not to do HST, but instead just do fullbody every other day. Some days with low reps, some days with high reps, just playing it by ear really. The cool thing is I have like all maxes for 15, 10, 5 and reps so I can see when I break one it rocks. I've made amazing improvements so far in just a few workouts, really pleased with this routine. With all these gains hopefully my muscle mass increases and bf drops.

Ya the shrugs suck, what I might do is just take like a full 8 minutes or so to rest after my deadlifts and then do the shrugs. And yea that's why they are the same weight, cause I deadlift the weight up to shrug. I guess it's rough cause I do them right after a HARD set of deadlifts , hopefully taking a break will help.
    Thanks for visiting man!

Good lookin journal man, you workout at home too, any pics of your set up? I'm gonna try and get some of mine soon.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Hey you know that is a really really good idea! My friend gave me a webcam a few days ago so yea I will see if I can get some pics! I have a pretty nice setup I think. Will see what I can do

Hey bro, I applaud you for doing your own thing - you have a unique training style! I know it would be hard for me to do all those body parts the same day...whatever is working, right?? -

Hey thanks man. Btw YOU are the man, I was just reading your journal talk about timing lol.

How do you like the full body workout? Earlier in the summer I did and HST cycle, but I cut it a week short because I was cutting and was struggling way too much on the last part of the 5s (this was most likely because I was on a low carb diet). I liked the workouts thought and I might do another cycle some time during this bulk.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Finding maxes is fun, isn't it? I managed to surprise myself a couple times, especially on rows. I've just finished my first week of 15's, BTW.

Scott S - Yup finding maxes was super fun, what's even better is when you break them hehe. I saw that you finished your first week, I bet your looking forward to that weight increase.

EdgarMex - I love it, I really look forward to every workout. Ya lowcarb is rough, I did that before it sucks hehe.

I wanna take measurements to help track progress. Is there a special kind of tape or will any kind that bends well work?

Squats
    120lbs X 7
    Leg Curls
    55lbs X 8
    Calf Raise
    120lbs X 12
    SpdBench
    100lbs X 15
    Bench
    180lbs X 2
    175lbs X 2
    Incline
    165lbs X 3
    CG Bench
    155lbs X 5
    Flys
    35lbs X 6
    Pullups
    2 X BW
    Chinups
    2 X BW
    Bent Row
    135lbs X 7
    Deadlifts
    225lbs X 4
    Shrugs
    205lbs X 5
    Militaries
    115lbs X 3
    Lat Raise
    30lbs X 5
    Srlat Rais
    15lbs X 5
    Curls
    70lbs X 7
    Conc Curl
    35lbs X 5

Bodyweight 162.5 pounds

I focused on these exercises today more than others....
    Squats
    95lbs X 10
    125lbs X 3
    130lbs X 3
    135lbs X 2
    Close Grip Bench
    135lbs X 7
    155lbs X 3
    160lbs X 3
    135lbs X 5
    Bench
    45lbs X 12
    135lbs X 15
    185lbs X 3 *had help with the 3rd rep*

I also did this stuff, I kept most of this light cause I used a lot of energy on the stuff above.
    Leg Curls
    45lbs X 10
    Standing Calf Raises
    120lbs X 15
    Speed Bench
    100lbs X 15
    Incline Bench
    165lbs X 4
    Dumbell Flys
    20lbs X 10
    Pullups
    1 X BW
    Chinups
    1 X BW
    Bent Over Barbell Rows
    115lbs X 10
    Deadlifts
    135lbs X 15
    Barbell Shrugs
    135lbs X 20
    Military Press
    115lbs X 2
    Lateral Raises
    12lbs X 10
    Seated Reverse Lateral Raises
    8lbs X 10
    Barbell Curls
    70lbs X 5
    Concentration Curls
    35lbs X 6
    Stomach
    5 minutes nonstop ab rolls, russian twists, crunches, and leg raises

Good workout overall, very pleased with the improvements in squats, felt nice to have 2 45's on there finally. I am very confident that my squats will continue to improve as it seems they are improving every single workout. Not sure what I will do for my next workout, will see how my body feels and determine what needs to be worked harder then.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 09-23-2003 at 01:51 PM.

Good looking session bro. 'grats on the squat PB.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Hey Ded, you're kickin' butt man. Keep up the solid work. Has the garage cooled off any. Mine is almost to get bearable.

volcampI moved everything indoors, just bought a car so needed the garage room. It's an old car, I think the weights are worth more than the car haha. Anyways now everyone who comes over stares at the weights and asks me if I workout LOL.

JustinFThanks man!

My chest hurts today, but my legs and tri's which should hurt do not hurt at all! Very weird maybe my body is getting used to it. Still at 162.5 pounds today also, weight doesn't seem to be moving rapidly at this calorie intake.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dedicated
    [B]volcampI moved everything indoors, just bought a car so needed the garage room.

Cheater!!!