Thread: Front Squats vs Deadlifts....

Front Squats vs Deadlifts....

I have been thinking about dumping my front squats on one of my leg days and just doing DL's instead. Weds is leg day 1 where I do front squats and Sun is leg day 2 where I do DL's. If I did DL's on both days, would I be missing out on anything? The rest of my workout consists of leg presses, walking lunges, leg curls, donkey calf, seated calf and back extensions. All exercises are heavy weight, 2 sets each. The workout lasts about an hour, give or take 10 minutes.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Well, DLs are primarily a back exercise that involves the hamstrings while front squats are a leg exercise which focuses on the quads. They both stress the legs and posterior chain but in much different ways. Personally DLing twice in one week is too much for me. I like the idea of front squats and DLs each once a week separated by at least 2 days.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Deadlifts are a posterior chain exercise, not a back exercise. Again, the primary movers are glutes, hamstrings, some quads and depending on your stance adductors.

Originally posted by gopher
    Well, DLs are primarily a back exercise that involves the hamstrings while front squats are a leg exercise which focuses on the quads. They both stress the legs and posterior chain but in much different ways. Personally DLing twice in one week is too much for me. I like the idea of front squats and DLs each once a week separated by at least 2 days.
    :withstupi
    5-9 170

Front squats seem to feel alot like to deads to me. I've said this before and people told me it was just me.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Originally posted by restless
    Deadlifts are a posterior chain exercise, not a back exercise. Again, the primary movers are glutes, hamstrings, some quads and depending on your stance adductors.
    :withstupi
    Im with this stupid. Why not do back squats one day and DL the other day? Am i the only one who can back squat a lot more than i can front squat?

By heavy weight, do you mean 1RM? or a few sets in 6-8 range heavy? If 1RM, i wouldnt do both in the same week. If you're working in 6-8, you should be able to handle it.

I was always under the impression that DL's are for lower as well as some upper body. I don't see how it can work for back, other than spinal erectors and traps.

Berserker: It's just you.

Mint: I do front squats Weds and DL's on Sunday. My question is will my workout suffer if I do DL's both Weds and Sunday.

I don't do standard squats because I don't feel comfortable doing them. Front squats aren't easier by any means, I just feel more in control doing them.

Ok maybe I should reword the question: Will my legs and body suffer if I do no squats at all and just do DL's on my leg days?
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Mint: 2 sets of 10. I'm ususally turning red and legs get shaky on the last 2 reps of each set.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

I wouldn't phase out front squats. Now I've never done front squats so take this with a grain of salt but I'm pretty sure they hit the quads very hard just like normal squats. If anything front squats are supposed to be alot harder to do weightwise than back squats.

I dunno I guess it's cause I get a different soreness from deadlifts than I do from back squats. Dead's make my lower back sore and lowerbody sore in general. Whereas squats seem to really focus on ass and quads more than deadlifts do. Goodluck.

Edit - An advantage of doing deads twice would be that they work some of the upper body also. Like my traps are sore from yesterdays deadlifts. Tough call on what to do hmm hehe.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 09-02-2003 at 11:10 AM.

I'll keep doing the front squats. Seems to working out for me. I guess if it ain't broke..don't fix it.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    I'd say keep the front squats on one day and the deads on another...deadlifting twice in one week is pretty taxing. And front squats are a whole different type of stress...tends to work the quads more than back squats and (for me at least) are less tiresome on the lower back than back squats as well.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost