The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

questions for guitar players

Ive played guitar for about 8 years now. the last few years Ive barely played at all, but recently started getting back into it ALOT.

however, when i was not so much into it, i sold all my good equipment:

marshall jcm2000 head
    marshall 4x12 cab
    voodoo valve
    boss 10 band eq
    rack tuner
    some other minor accessories

i kept my guitars of course, and a small crate amp for when i felt like playing.

questions are:

what amp and accessories do you guys use? are you happy with the sound? what sound are you after? if you had the funds to go out and buy whatever you wanted, what would you pick, and why?

as i said, its been a few years since ive really been into it. so i dont know whats new. i wasn't completely satisfied with the tone i was getting from my old setup, i was after a pretty professional crunch sound, and ended up with a garage death metal band sound.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Right now I'm running my Wolfgang Peavey through a Fender Princeton 112 Plus amp and an Xtreme effects pad. The pad's nothing special. But I love my Fender when I'm jamming at home. If I had the money or space for it, I'd go with a Marshall 4x12 cab and head. I've got a few friends running that setup and it sounds so smooth. I play anything from Creed and Third Eye Blind to Good Charlotte. I can get just about any sound I want out of my WG Peavey. I get excited just thinking about it.

Here's my baby
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I own two EBMMs (the original Van Halen model), and I swear by those, but Wolfs are a blast to play too.

I guess I don't understand exactly what "type" of tone you're looking for, so it's tough for me to make any recommendations.

You used the phrase "professional crunch".....you may want to investigate Duncan's Custom 5 pickup. Very popular....powerful, yet smooth.

As far as amps go, you've already tasted my personal favorite.

The JCM 2000 should have almost every tone under the sun.

I always look for a VH tone, so my settings wouldn't have ever been anything near "death metal".

I'd probably never touch the high-gain channel, except for goofing around once in a while with early Metallica riffs.

Maybe the Voodo Valve was goofing with your tone's purity. A rack unit, if not analog, and not properly set, will destroy any tube-amp's tone.

I learned that the hard way with an expensive digital rack. Then one day I got bored, plugged straight back into the amp, and my ears went "whoa!". It was like all of my dynamics came back.

Have you tried the new modeling amps? Those are popular too. Whether or not you have a use for one, or even like the sound of one, is up to you. They do a better job of dealing with the signal chain, since the effects are baked into/around the amps (which aren't pure tube amps).

Sorry, I'm probably not helping much. Tell us about some of the songs you like to play, and maybe I can offer more.

As far as what I like to sound like, it's all pretty much early/mid Van Halen. Vintage gear that is cranked.

I also like Zakk Wylde's tone a lot.

"Crazy Babies" and "No More Tears".

When I feel like "playing with power" I typically dial in a more modern tone, turn up the gain, and pretend that my amp sounds good (which it doesn't, at least not while doing this!).

well i like to play alot of speed metal, similar to Metallica "master of puppets", slayers "reign in blood", or early testament.

i was never disappointed with the tone i had, it was definately heavy, but i just could never narrow down the tone of some of those classic speed metal sounds.

i rarely used the voodo valve, i used the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal usually for the dirty sound.

I guess I'm not really trying to rip off anyones sound in particular, it's just that if Im going to be spending alot of money again, I dont want to re-purchase exactly what I had, especially if there is something better.

i was very pleased with the marshall head, youre right that it can get around any tone under the sun, but I have read and heard alot of good things about mesa boogie dual/triple rectifier heads as well.

the thread is also just to see who else enjoys the world of guitars and what kind of sounds are most popular these days.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

I use a randall RH200 and a 4x12 with eminence speakers. My sound is medium gain, with lots of mids, think slayer on steroids. Very beefy and grindy and sounds thick enough for a one guitar death metal band. I am super satisfied with my tone, espescially for the price. If you named your all time favorite guitar tone (not just favorite song), you could probably figure out what gear that artist uses in the studio and live, and go from there.

As far as metallica and slayer go, they both used marshall jcm800 (2204's i think i'll check) with hot pickups and just dimed them for the extra gain, but a light boost pedal or EQ in front could push it into the gain levels you want. The 2204s havent been made since the 80's, except for the new zakk wylde model that goes for something like 2499, but there are alot on ebay for under 600 in good condition.
    The mesa heads are real popular but also quite pricey. Galileo owns a dual recto and loves it.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

For guitars I use a Jackson soloist custom I got in 1990 which I keep set up tuned down half a step. I have a modified strat that is my frankenstein guitar and I rewire a lot. Right now it has a Duncan Invader pickup in the bridge. I use it for standard tuning and drop D tuning. I have a Takamine steel string acoustic and some kind of nylon string acoustic but I don't know who made it.

I just got rid of a JCM 800 head. I'm thinking about getting another one of a different model but more likely a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto head (even though so many people are playing them now). I use a couple 2 x 12 Mesa Boogie closed back cabinets. I have an old Peavey Classic Chorus for people that come over and don't bring an amp of their own.

For effects I use a couple Boss pedals (metal distortion, delay, compression/sustainer), a Digitech GNX-3, and a Dunlop Wah pedal. I keep a Boss GX-700 as a backup.

I play everything but mainly alternative and metal so I have lots of sounds setup.

As far as ideal, I've wanted a PRS custom since I played one in Guitar Center in San Diego forever ago so I'll probably get one in the next few years. The Dual Recto amps are my fave but Line 6 and some Marshall's are nice too.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Originally posted by MrWebb78
    well i like to play alot of speed metal, similar to Metallica "master of puppets", slayers "reign in blood", or early testament.
    Well, now you've narrowed it down!

The gear Metallica used Master of Puppets was a modernized shift from the cranked Marshall/overwound passive pickup combination they used on their first album, for instance.

You'll want an active pickup (EMG 81 or even 85), not just because it's "high-output" (there are plenty of passive pickups with more output than a stock EMG), but because of the pickup's CLARITY. What this means, is that when you're hitting chords, you can hear each of the notes ring, regardless of whether or not you've got the mids boosted, etc. That's the beauty of it.....IF you're into that type of tone.

It helps their tone sound super distorted, yet somehow "crisp" and precise, and almost "clear". It doesn't get "mucked-up" by high gain levels.

They also got their best sound (Puppets, Justice, etc.) from early Mesa/Boogie high gain amps .....not the relatively newer Rectofiers (I know....they're 10 years old now).

According to Metallica-freaks, there was something about the circuitry in those amps that creates a different sound than what they've been getting with the Rectos.

You'd do fine with a Mesa, for sure, but if you're obsessed with being "exact", you'll want to uncover the name of those amps, and try and buy one used. Check Harmony Central for the name, and then go to E-Bay to try and fine one used.

Or, just buy a Recto.

i use emg's in my warlock, quite pleased with them. and i don't want to be exact, i hate ripping off other peoples sound.

just want to be in the ballpark. i pretty much know what to get, i was originally asking just cuz i havent played much or even paid attention to whats new in the past few years.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Originally posted by MrWebb78
    i was originally asking just cuz i havent played much or even paid attention to whats new in the past few years.
    Not much as changed, so far as I know.

People are learning that unless you're playing one or two string "chugga chugga" metal, you'll get a more robust sound from a High Gain amp if you use a medium or low-output pickup.

The POD has taken over as an effects/amp modeler. Purists aren't 100% satisfied (thus, they are purists), but for many, these units offer an affordable way to simulate many, many different kinds of tone, and also simplify home recording, or playing through headphones.

More Baritone (5 strings, tuned down) and 7 string models are available, as well as a few more pickup options for these guitars, including the Tone Zone 7, Drop Sonic, etc.

I dunno, man. You pretty much had all the bare-essentials.

Guitar playing really needs someone to kick it in the a** right now.

BC Rich Warlock with a Fender Amp
    Originally posted by Gyno Rhino

I've gotten diseases from standard sex, but never from doin' the deed in front of my computer screen with Palmela.

speaking of guitar playing, "guitarevolution" is coming here on 9/12. if you havent heard about it, its marty friedman and chris polland(ex megadeth), and alex skolnick(ex testament), all 3 have new bands that are showcased by lead guitar talents. should be pretty interesting.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Oh yeah!!! I can't wait to see 'em play
    Originally posted by Gyno Rhino

I've gotten diseases from standard sex, but never from doin' the deed in front of my computer screen with Palmela.

Ive got a marshall valvestate someting...mainly bought du to the dual speaker set up, takes my blues playing, heavymetal **** and whatever else very well, doesnt handle certain effects boxes well, for some reosaone but what can you do...I've also got a little crate amp, and a fender bass amp-very good for the heavy ****
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

One thing you have to remember is that the amp is responsible for most of the tone. A cheap amp won't let any good guitar/pickup/strings combo sound good.

I'm using a homebuilt tube amp right now and it sounds really really nice. I mean, as a player, I suck. But my rigs sounds good.

BTW, I'm also using a Telecaster (SD '54 bridge pickup) through a Boss Metal Zone pedal. I'm a big fan of the way a tube amp softens the SS-ness of a distortion pedal.

I have a 12 string Ibanez acoustic and a Japanese made Fender Heartfield electric.

I found a great deal on a Line6 AX2 modelling amp. It basically allows you to model many famous cabinets and amps including tubes. Not as good as the real thing but definately good enough for me!
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Banned
    in reaction to all the solid technical guitar talk being slung around here:

I have a 17 year old Korean knockoff of a Telecaster, plugged raw into a completely crappy Squier 15

the connections in both amp and guitar are loose as hell, so I get weird humming noises and the occasional feedback

but it's fun to play

Last edited by Relentless; 09-02-2003 at 09:44 AM.