Thread: Computer question for anyone

Wannabebig New Member

Computer question for anyone

My pc has been having some glitches , shutting off and just running real slow . I saw an ad for Computer Booster . Does anyone know if this thing works ? It says it cleans out your cookies , unused programs and makes your computer run faster . I've defragged and scan disked and all that stuff already but it seems the more time I spend on-line the more it happens .

Any thoughts ?
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

It does just tweaks for you that can be done manually. Recently all peeps I know who have complained of having a slow PC is due to viruses or spyware. Also, the typical Windows user should reload Windows once per year. This is not something that people think of doing much. Other things I would recommend are cleaning your system tray and services.

I am not recomending ram since it appears these issues have occured recently. I am sure your PC was running smooth in the begining
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 09-01-2003 at 07:54 PM.

Have you had your computer a long time? It could just be age.

If you have a CD RW then burn all your important files and use your restore to factory settings CD to totally clean out all your stuff and take it back to how it was when you bought it.

I have had my comp for nearly 4 years and it has started doing three anoying things: Beep from inside before it makes a sound from the speaker, the screen flashes on and off from time to time and it sounds like a jet plane (not sure if it is the fan or what). I really should buy a new one
    Last edited by James.uk; 09-02-2003 at 10:20 AM.
    - James

Reinstall your operating system. Its extream but if you dont do it every 6-12 months your computer will slow down as it picks up programs, scumware, cookies etc.

Re-installing your operating system doesn't really do much. You need to use the emergency CD that came with your computer to get rid of all the crap.
    - James

By reloading I meant formatting and reinstalling Windows. You definitely do not want to install on top of Windows. That will defeat the purpose.
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 09-02-2003 at 11:35 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    How about that Window Washer thing that is supposed to search for duplicates and files that have not been accessed in the last 6 months or so.

I know my windows 98 and my GF's Millenium both sucked ass, as the swap file grew to monstrous proportions. XP seems to be better keeping it under control.

Spy-Bot also seems to work well for me, to keep all the spyware off.

They may help, but all they do is stuff you can do manually. In the end, a nice fresh install will set you straight.