Thread: what meal should i have before the gym?

what meal should i have before the gym?

I ussualy have beans on toast or just a bowl of pasta or rice.
    I told someone in my gym that i have beans on toast and he laughed!why ?

A small meal before going to the gym is sound bodybuilding nutrition. The meal should consist of carbs and protein with fat intake held to a minimum. If it is a whole food meal consisting of low GI carbs and protein, then it should be eaten ~1.5 hours before training, so as to allow the food time to digest. A liquid meal consisting of ~25g of carbs (maltodextrin) and ~10g of whey mixed in a small amount of water would be fine as well, and this should be consumed ~30 minutes before training. Basically you don't want to be training on a full stomach, and you want to allow ample for time for the food to be digested. This will ensure that the body has nutrients available, which will help aid in glycogen replenishment and recovery.
    Last edited by bradley; 09-03-2003 at 01:18 PM.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar

Re: what meal should i have before the gym?

Originally posted by madfistbt
    I told someone in my gym that i have beans on toast and he laughed!why ?
    He was probably thinking "What kinda weird freak eats BEANS ON TOAST??" And thats why he was laughing at you lol jk man, but when i read that, i started laughing too. I mean, who does eat beans on toast? Beans on a tortilla, sure, but bread???

Beans before workout is a bad idea, period. Especially for me. Especially before a leg workout. tuttut

I like eating a little skim cottage cheese an hour or two beforehand.

squats+beans=bad idea
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

Beans on toast is a great meal. I'd often have it post workout about 45 mins after my post workout shake.

I also have it every day at work at 10.30am.

Can't go wrong with beans on toast

what about a protien shake before i work out? is that a bad idea? i want to keep carbs low, as i train at night
    "It's all about quality, not quantity. That's not to say that the other programs won't work. But you should learn first how to use intensity to it's fullest. You will encounter a lot of programs throughout the internet. None will be productive if you can't lift with the proper intensity." - Maki

Originally posted by mstar
    what about a protien shake before i work out? is that a bad idea? i want to keep carbs low, as i train at night
    You still need carbs around your training, regardless of what time you workout. Like I stated above a small amount of protein and carbs will be beneficial preworkout, and then post workout just have more of the same. Although post workout you can increase the amount of protein and carbs that you are consuming.

Carbs will not magically turn into fat if they are consumed at night, and overall calorie balance will be the main determining factor as to whether or not you lose/gain weight.

rum soaked derelict
    In the UK everything and anything goes on toast. Its just the way they are over there. Its good stuff