Thread: is getting a spot equivalent to machines?

is getting a spot equivalent to machines?

i switched gyms a few days ago & came across this nifty piece of equipment. i never got around to asking what it was called exactly but it's sort of like a machine press...u lie on your back and u got 2 bars for each hand that holds the weight. technically, execution is pretty much like doing flat DB presses..but feels more like a bb bench press.

so anyway, what i wanna know is, would using this machine be the same as getting a spot? i started to wonder because sometimes at my gym i cant get a spot when i need it..and i figured with this machine, u can add more weight to your bench and get some 'help'. kinda like a spot??? i was thinking doing my first few workout sets with free weights and then if i couldnt get a spot i'd switch to this machine.

is that alright? if there's any differences i'd like to know...thanx.

Banned
    u still have to stabilize when you're being spotted... and a proper spot is performed such that you are still supporting the weight by yourself.

so no, it's not the same.

Wannabebig Member
    Not the same at all. The idea of a spot is to make sure you dont kill yourself, and to make sure you finish your set.

When my buddies and I spot eachother, we make eachotherr finish the set. For example if I cant make #6 out of 8 reps, they will barely boost me a tiny bit to make me finish, and help out as needed on the following 2 reps.

Also with a spotter you can go beyond failure. Even after you cant do one more rep, the spotter can lift up slightly on the bar allowing you to squeez out a few more reps. On a machine without a spotter, when you fail, you fail..thats it yur done.

Originally posted by mailman21108
    Also with a spotter you can go beyond failure. Even after you cant do one more rep, the spotter can lift up slightly on the bar allowing you to squeez out a few more reps. On a machine without a spotter, when you fail, you fail..thats it yur done.
    you mean to say "your spotter can get a workout too."

if your spotter has to even TOUCH the weight, then re-rack it. the spotter is only there to make sure you don't die, not to assist you in lifting more weight and pretend you're strong/big

If the spotter has to help with every rep, then yes re-rack and go lighter. If it's just for the last 1 or 2 reps, I don't see that as a problem. I think those are called "forced reps".
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

looks like a duck but doesn't quack like a duck...

spotter can't be replaced

the kid from oz
    Originally posted by unshift

if your spotter has to even TOUCH the weight, then re-rack it. the spotter is only there to make sure you don't die, not to assist you in lifting more weight and pretend you're strong/big

wouldnt this just be an assisted rep?
    just because someone is giving you a hand lifting it up doesnt mean you're not pushing as hard as you can, you still get the work
    Last edited by bigedge; 09-05-2003 at 12:30 AM.

Originally posted by Max-Mex
    If the spotter has to help with every rep, then yes re-rack and go lighter. If it's just for the last 1 or 2 reps, I don't see that as a problem. I think those are called "forced reps".
    Yes thats what i meant. Usually a spotter can give you the ability to get at least 2 additional reps in beyond failure while giving you a slight amount of assistance. I help others do this sometimes and sometimes they help me. As far as the spotter getting a workout..no definatly not the intent. The asistance needed is very little. Anyone whos been around the gym long enough knows that.

Under Construction
    Originally posted by unshift

I have to agree with this, the spotter is just there to help on that last rep if you are stuck or on a max attempt. Forced reps are way overated and way abused at most gyms. There are a couple of guys in my gym that do assisted reps on every rep starting from the first. Their egos are so big that they cannot just lift what they can and all they accomplish is making the spotter get a workout between sets instead of resting. Total BS. What happens is your body gets used to getting help during reps. Just lift what you can to reach your desired reps if you need help on the last rep and there is a safety concern, get a spot.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by mpi

Forced reps are way overated and way abused at most gyms.

Not for everyone. Forced reps can be a useful tool, same as descending sets, or supersets or pyramids or what have you. Forced reps should only be done by experienced people who know what they are doing and then only for 1-2 reps. But to completely dismiss them out-of-hand? tuttut

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic

Not for everyone. Forced reps can be a useful tool, same as descending sets, or supersets or pyramids or what have you. Forced reps should only be done by experienced people who know what they are doing and then only for 1-2 reps. But to completely dismiss them out-of-hand? tuttut
    w00t

shock ur muscle into growth

Under Construction
    Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic

But to completely dismiss them out-of-hand? tuttut
    I guess you did not read my whole post, I said that too many people abuse forced reps. I see guys force rep from the first to the last set and they wonder why they do not progress. If you need to get a spot on the last one or two reps, fine, but do not base your whole routine on them.

This what I am talking about and explained very well in the above referenced Deepsquatter link.....

".........Another example is a lifter using a weight over his max to achieve overload and get some negative or eccentric resistance. A lifter can max out at 250 in the bench, but loads 275 on the bar for a forced rep set. He hopes to lower the bar slowly and, at least, get the weight going off the chest and with his partner's help, finish the rep. After taking the bar out of the rack, he lowers the bar slowly at the top, but as it nears the mid point of its descent, the sheer weight of the bar overwhelms the lifter and crashes down to the chest. The press or bounce up gets about 1 inch up and the helper must again upright row the bar up from a precarious position. The helper did far more actual work then the bencher. All this set did was soothe the ego of the lifter. Sure, some people believe that such sets can over load the muscles involved and strengthen the ligaments and tendons so they can better handle max poundage. There's a guy at my gym who routinely does this kind of stuff and a lot of the gym members try hard not be around when he needs help to force some reps. The guys that do help him all have big traps and strong erectors though......."
    Last edited by mpi; 09-07-2003 at 02:49 PM.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by mpi

I have to agree with this, the spotter is just there to help on that last rep if you are stuck or on a max attempt. . Just lift what you can to reach your desired reps if you need help on the last rep and there is a safety concern, get a spot.

These are your actual comments. You are clearly stating that the spotter is just there to help if you get stuck. And I said no, you can use him for forced reps. Helping when you get stuck is not a forced rep. tuttut