The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

important question on deadlift??

hi ya

i've only been training for about 10 weeks so far, and my bak has had some good improvements (newbie gains) in that time.

because my knees are weak i have to do a separate strength training routine for my legs, therefore, i cant do the FULL deadlift for my bak, because there is too much pressure on my knees.

instead, i do the partial deadlift, and it still works my lower bak very well (just not my legs).

however, yesterday i did a heavy lift, but i felt strain in my lower bak as i tried lifting the bar. so i immediately stopped and dropped to a lower weight, cuz i dont wanna risk gettin even the slightest bak problem.

now, the question is, I'm not sure whether it was my actual spine that was being stressed, or just the actual lower back muscle. it might just be that its my muscles that start fatiging, that makes me feel as though its my bones.

this is how it feels: once i've done the lift, i can feel the typical stinging in my lower back. the one due to lactic acid building up. if i then clench my bak (curve it), the muscle feels more stingy - if u know what i mean.

i need to know if this is normal and that its not my spine which is stressed.

i do keep my bak significantly curved (with my lumbar structure) when lifting.

any help will be much appreciated

cheers
    The important thing is not to stop questioning!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It takes a while to strengthen your lower back to get used to deadlifts. From what I've heard it's common to deal with pain for a few months untill your lower back really strengthens and adjusts to the stress. Don't try to make huge gains with it untill your back is ready. Just keep it slow and steady.
    Another excercise that may help with the progress is Good Mornings.

It sounds like more than muscle strain to me, when I do SLDL I feel no sting but just my back flexing. I wouldn't risk it and go see a doctor, especially when it's your back, one bad injury and kiss bodybuilding goodbye forever.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the replies guys.

yeah, i'll take it steady until my back grows more n more. i wont concentrate on increasing weight too much.

theomen, when i mean stinging, its just when u know for example, when u train ur biceps, they start burning after a while, well thats what i meant. i'm quite sure its the muscle, cuz when i flex my bak, its muscle burning - lasts only for a short while, like any sore muscle/burn. i didnt do the very heavy lift cuz i knew i could injure my bak and say goodbye to bodybuilding for good. thats why i'm so concerned. my back at the mo is completely stable.

cheers

hi

power rack

use the power rack to your advantage. do those half deads until your ready to lower the rack another slot. to be honest with you, i used to swear by deads. all thay gave me were injuries. later in the game i gave them up for partials. and my lower back mass has increased and less injuries. the stiffness and lactic acid sometimes stays with me after the workout all the way home in the car. lots of ibeprophen. now if you find that this pain effects you on other exercises and at home on the couch, then you have done something wrong.

Wannabebig Member
    thats it jmd. its stiffness and lactic acid. and NO, it doesnt affect me at ALL once i'm home, so i assume its alrite so far. will take it easy and stick to partials.

cheers guys.

hi
    no prob

lower the weight and do full deadlifts. your knees will strengthen along with everything else