Thread: People Doing Squats

People Doing Squats

My squats are lagging big time. The max I can do is 200. I see people in the gym doing them with 225 or even 315 but they bring it down about 3 inches. When I do mine, I go all the way down and have my ass like 2 inches from the ground. I think I am doing them correctly, but I feel week in comparison to the other guys. Are they really doing squats anyways? Is there another exercise that kind of looks like squats but they are for other muscles?

Oh i got a question to go along with this, maybe someone could help me quick.

Sorry to be a noob, but what weight should i start out with in squats. Im a smaller guy, 5'9" and about 150 pounds with low body fat %.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    Albert Einstein

I want them to make statues of me

Think of them as if you saw other guys benching, but only bending their arms 2 inches and doing 300lbs.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

I would laugh at those people. Even though they are loading way more on their bars, you are far stronger.

Originally posted by arjun
    Oh i got a question to go along with this, maybe someone could help me quick.

Sorry to be a noob, but what weight should i start out with in squats. Im a smaller guy, 5'9" and about 150 pounds with low body fat %.
    Put some weight on, if it's too heavy-take some off-too light -add more, it's that simple.

Squats are my weaker exersise too, but never sacrafice form for more weight. You'll get more out of doing less weight and proper form than you will lifting too much with bad form
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Originally posted by Scott S
    I would laugh at those people. Even though they are loading way more on their bars, you are far stronger.
    They all laugh at me. Dumb bastards >_< I go ass to the grass or off of a box, but they look at me weird. Like "Whats that guy doing with an aerobic step in the free weight room". Ah well. Pretty soon Ill be full squatting more than anyone in my gym can squat 3 inches. 24 hour sucks! I want a westside barbell club in southern california >_<

Banned

Re: People Doing Squats

Originally posted by harryhoudini66
    Are they really doing squats anyways? Is there another exercise that kind of looks like squats but they are for other muscles?
    These are known as 'quarter squats'. The primary muscles that they work are in the ego.

AT BEST, this 'exercise' may help acclimate your body to handling heavier weights but to reap the full benefits from squatting, you really ought to do them properly.

And if you're stuck around 200 (I will assume this is for 6+ reps), why not try doing some heavier singles or triples to push past your plateau. Or seek out a powerlifting coach; I did and I benefitted greatly from it.

Re: People Doing Squats

Originally posted by harryhoudini66
    My squats are lagging big time. The max I can do is 200. I see people in the gym doing them with 225 or even 315 but they bring it down about 3 inches. When I do mine, I go all the way down and have my ass like 2 inches from the ground. I think I am doing them correctly, but I feel week in comparison to the other guys. Are they really doing squats anyways? Is there another exercise that kind of looks like squats but they are for other muscles?
    The guys doing 315 proabably wouldn't be able to do 180 properly w/o falling over. Just keep doing them them with good form and the strength will come. Add a pound a week if you can or 5 pounds every month.

It's impressive that you can go so low, but you don't really need to go ass to the ground with them. As long as your legs are parallel or a little below parallel to the ground, you'll be fine.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Re: Re: People Doing Squats

Originally posted by Max-Mex

Add a pound a week if you can or 5 pounds every month.
    Little offtopic but do they sell 1lb or 1/2lb plates? I didn't see any at the store where I usually buy my weights and this sounds like a good idea, to add a pound each week for exercises that I seem stuck on.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma

Re: Re: Re: People Doing Squats

Originally posted by Dedicated

Little offtopic but do they sell 1lb or 1/2lb plates? I didn't see any at the store where I usually buy my weights and this sounds like a good idea, to add a pound each week for exercises that I seem stuck on.
    You can get those magnetic PlateMates or whatever they're called...they come in 0.5 increments, I think...you can stick them onto dumbbells or plates to make small incremental additions. I've seen them in some sporting goods stores, but you could probably find them online somewhere too.

And as for the original question, forget about what other people in the gym are doing and just focus on your own form and progression. Tunnelvision can sometimes be a good thing!

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Under Construction
    It is amazing how much you weight you can handle if you only do quarter squats. It looks impressive because most people have no clue on how to squat. These same guys could not go to parallel or below with any weight at all and are just cheating themselves. The size of their small legs gives them away. It is funny to see some clown load up the bar and barely bend their knees and everybody stops to stare in awe at that massive weight they are lifting. They grunt an scream, have the belt on, the leg wraps and go down about 3 inches or so. Since nobody knows how to squat, this is impressive. Ask them to go parallel with low weight would shatter their ego.
    Just one guy's opinion.

hahhaha that is so true. The guy I see using three plates on each side only brings them down about three inches. However, everyone in the gym is looking at him. In his case though he has a huge upper body. I can't confirm the shape of his legs since he never wears shorts. I have a hunch they are lagging big time. I fact, although I was working out on legs for three months, I just started seeing him start to workout on legs about two weeks ago.

Under Construction
    All I can say Harry is that if the guy can fit into Wrangler jeans, he does not have much in the way of legs.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Re: Re: People Doing Squats

Originally posted by Callahan
    These are known as 'quarter squats'. The primary muscles that they work are in the ego.
    LOL

Yeah, I have to admit that I've done the "ego squats".

Check your ego at the door, lower the amount of weight, and squat way low. You'll benefit much more in the long run.

Originally posted by Scott S
    :withstupi

I see this a lot too. Of course I can squat more than they can partial rep

Best thing I can tell you is to NEVER compare yourself to ANYONE else. Only compare yourself to what YOU did or looked like in the past. Thats the nest measure of success. Sure strive to look like kevin levrone but don't compare yourself to others only yourself.

Going A$$ to floor is the best way. (If your knees can take it) Otherwise, try to go at least parallel. We call those ego squats High School squats at my gym. Because you see a lot of HS football players squatting that way.
    August 1, 2006 240lbs
    August 25, 2006 276lbs
    September 1, 2006 286lbs
    December 25, 2006 328lbs

TRYING TO BUILD A MONSTER

Throw all pride out of the door when going to the gym. Lots of people there are bigger than me...but I get satisfaction knowing that by the time I'm their age, I will dwarf them.

And it happens to me a lot too...I go to 24 Hour Fitness and the people there are stupid. They have one squat rack, and it is ALWAYS open...the leg workouts are mainly used by women too lazy to run to "tone" their thighs.

I did a couple reps with three plates going to parallel, and then I switched to about 245 going ass to the floor, and lots of people were looking at me strangely. Plus, my boxers ripped down the side My only consolation is that a guy doing the leg press wiht about eight plates on each side, but bringing it down about three inches, staring at my measly 245 the whole time I was doing them with this condescending look, tried squatting the same weight as I did and he got crushed under it, had to put the weight down on the safety rack things, and I had to help him get outta there.
    I am cool beyond all natural explanation.