The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What's The Preferred Rest Time Between Sets?

What is your rest time between sets or exercises? 1 or 3 min.

Is there a rest time between exercises also?
    Some of my workouts end up at 1:30-1:40. From what i read the maximum gym workout must not exceed 1 hour and 30 minutes. My last workout was 1:40, well I did 5 exercises (3 sets) of chest and 4 of back, plus 2 abs exercises plus 1 hyperextensions exer. for the lower back with 4 sets. I know this is overtraining but since I took a week off I though I tried it anyway.

Another question is that if it's okay to drop DB on the floor when I do decline chest, flyes.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

hey wanna go lift
    I generally keep it around an 1:00 between sets.

As to dropping the dumbbells on the floor, I think if you have to drop them, its because you can't control the weight. If you can control the weight, there is no need to be careless.. just my opinion though.
    Last edited by utah82; 09-05-2003 at 08:22 AM.
    Weight: 167lbs
    Height: 6'0"
    BF%: 14-16%

Current Lifts (10/1/03):
    Bench: 155lbs
    Squat: 145lbs
    D/L: 185lbs

Goal Lifts (12/1/03):
    Bench: 175lbs
    Squat: 165lbs
    D/L: 225lbs

Weight/BF% Goals:
    Weight: 190
    BF%: < 12%

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Originally posted by utah82

As to dropping the dumbbells on the floor, I think if you have to drop them, its because you can't control the weight. If you can control the weight, there is no need to be careless.. just my opinion though.
    Well, don't drop them when you finish the set, let it fall to the floor while still hanging on to them, so you could control the direction they fall so it doesn't hit you. I do that with DB related exercises.

As for rest period, it varies by body parts, my chest,back and legs are usually rested for 1:30 min to 2 min. My arms are less than 1:30 mins rest period.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

hey wanna go lift
    I implied from his thread that he just dropped them from the air. If you're holding on to them and drop/placing them on the ground, thats fine, IMO... I do that.

But I meant that if you have to drop the weight from the air, because you can't get it down properly, you're lifting too much weight.

dropping weight is careless

anyways, my rest time varies on every exercise. usually rest time is however long it takes my training partner to do his set and then get it back to the weight that i want.

usually longer rest periods on squats and deads, up to 3 minutes or so.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Our gym has rubber weights, i can chuck em at the ground and they would just bounce right back up. Well.. not really, but they dont make any noise when you drop them so no one stares.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    Albert Einstein

I want them to make statues of me

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Originally posted by utah82
    I implied from his thread that he just dropped them from the air. If you're holding on to them and drop/placing them on the ground, thats fine, IMO... I do that.

But I meant that if you have to drop the weight from the air, because you can't get it down properly, you're lifting too much weight.
    sorry, didn't read your post closely.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Country Boy
    For Isolation movements I usually wait 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. W/ compounds I'll wait anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes. Depends on my exertion.However if you workout in the gym the 3 to 5 minutes would prob. get on the other ppl nerves.

3:16
    i can wait up to 5 minutes
    but aim for about 3
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Somewhere between 30 seconds - 5 minutes.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

1:30

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Somewhere between 30 seconds - 5 minutes.
    That sounds funny...but I agree. If I'm doing a routine with lighter weights and high reps I like to keep rest time between 30-60 seconds. Although if I'm using heavy weight with low reps then I'll rest 3-5 minutes. I try to get full recovery but do my next set before I cool off.

And when I'm using DB's and am done I'll drop them to the floor but hang on to them. You never want to let them go completely. They can cover some ground and hit somebody or even yourself.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial