The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Q about Cardio

Alright, its my understanding that the body does the following things in this order when performing cardio:
    1. Burns energy you've obtained from food
    2. When food has been burnt, fat stores beging to get burnt off
    3. Muscle stores start to get burnt

Now I can understand why its best to workout on an empty stomach because you skip #1 and jump right to #2, but whats stopping your body from burning fat and burning muscle simutaneously and if #1, #2, and #3 above are in the correct order, what tells the body to go to #2 before #3 and what tells it when its time to switch.

Hope that wasn't too confusing

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Originally posted by Avatar

Hope that wasn't too confusing
    ...not as confusing as chris mason and mac sloan's debate on the "Wondering where this myth came from" thread.

After reading that thread i am totally confused on how to train.

Triple P don't be,use what works for you and when it stops change it.If what Chris advocates brings lots of success your way then by all means continue on.

Avatar your body uses different energy sytems for different tasks,all are used at one time,it's just that one is more dominantly used than the rest.There is a short term,intermediate and long term systems and the body will use all these systems.

Your 2 MAIN sources of energy during exercise are carbs(glycogen,glucose) and fats(tryglyceride)

When a meal is eaten, predominantly higher in carbs it appears that the body will rely heavily on carbohydrates and less on fat,this is probally due to insilun playing a role in regulating the mixture of fats and carbs oxidized during your exercise.

There are predominantly 2 places fat is oxidized from,addipose tissue and intramuscular fat as far as the ratio during exercise I don't think there has been any studies that have shed light on this.You see there are aprox 50 000 - 60 000 kcals of energy stored as fats in all the adipose cytes in your body(thats alot of fat!)Because of this large amount of enrgy that is stored in a small amount od space you can see how this is a great way for people to carry fuel as they move from place to place.
    When food stores are burnt the workrate that you are working determines whether it will use predominanly more carbs or fats.Again you will always be using carbs no matter what,your body doesn't just use one source.If you just used fat I would be suprised how you got to the gym let alone get yourself out of the house.

Protein is not a readily used source of fuel,meaning that you need not worry about the catobolizing(sp) effect that everyone talks about so much.I would start to worry if you had been fasting fro more than 12 hours then your body would start to readily dip into your protein stores.

It's a complex subject and I hope I answered the question,if not let me know.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by mac sloan

Protein is not a readily used source of fuel,meaning that you need not worry about the catobolizing(sp) effect that everyone talks about so much.I would start to worry if you had been fasting fro more than 12 hours then your body would start to readily dip into your protein stores.
    So what your saying here is when doing cardio, muscle is rarely used as an energy source? Is this true even if you've been jogging for 45+ minutes? because as you say there is so much fat, you should never stop burning that as the main source after carbs have been used up.

Avatar amino acids contribute roughly (this ia a rough aproximation)5-15% of the energy that is consumed during exercise(Exercise Metabolisim,Mark Hargraves)

It has been estimated that amino acids contribute anywhere from 3-18% of the total energy required for a long exercise bout.(Brooks,G.A.Amino acid and protein metabolisim during exercise and recovery.Med.Sci.Sport.19:S150-S156;1987)
    (Poortmans,J.R.Protein turnover and amino acid oxidation during and after exercise.Med.Sports Sci,17:130-147;1984)

That is not to say that your free to exercise for extended periods of time and not lose any muscle mass,if your diet is off you'll suffer,if you have been exercising and then do some cardiovascular exercise and your cals are close to your resting rate then you'll suffer.

Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Your body will use energy sourses depending on what your heart rate is at durring exercise.

To burn the optimum amount of fat over useing muscle(protien) for energy you need to be doing your cardio in your target heart range.

To figure your target heart range or THR, you need to get your Max heart rate or MHR. Use the following.

MHR = 210-(1/2 your age)-(.05 x your body weight)+4
    THR = 70 to 80% of your MHR

Once you've done your cardio, try to wait 1 hour before eating as your body will continue to use fat to restore glycogen stores.