The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar

dumbbell shoulder press help

When I do dumbbell shoulder presses, I put the weight on each knee and kick my leg up to give some momentum to get the weight up to my shoulder and high enough that it is about eye level (the lowest point in my lift). Today I tried to go up to 75# dumbbells, because last shoulder workout I did 70# for 8 reps, which is my sign to up the weight (maxing out the rep range of 6-8). My left side got up just under eye level, while my right side was about 4-6 inches lower. I tried to push them up from this level, but no go.

Anybody have any ideas on how to get this weight to the starting position? I don't have a partner, and I'm guessing it would take two people to do it anyways... one to lift each dumbbell and give it to me in the proper position. I figure I will be having this same problem with incline dumbbell bench presses if I am able to add another 15-20# to my lift.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    why do you restrict your ROM so you don't go lower than eye level?

I assume you are doing these seated?

anyway, 'kicking' the weight up with your knees should be all the help you need to get them up to your shoulders with your elbows fully flexed... I haven't done 'standard' shoulder DB presses in ages but I do the exact same for my Arnold Presses.... IMHO you should be going through a full ROM on the movement and if you can't get them off of your shoulders and up, you're not strong enough to be lifting that weight...

have a spotter help you get the weights up.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

75s arent all that much, try sort of a DB power clean (aka shrug them up and dip a bit) to get them into place

75lbs. , that's more than I do with both hands.

Jerry

I clean them up to my chest, and rest them against my shoulders, then sit down. Much easier that way.

Oh yeah, I agree with Hercule. When I do a heavy set with eh dumbell shoulder presses, I hoist them up in position, then I sit down. I do it even when not doing heavy set, it's just easier that way.
    "Color outside the lines"

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by Callahan
    why do you restrict your ROM so you don't go lower than eye level?

IMHO you should be going through a full ROM on the movement and if you can't get them off of your shoulders and up, you're not strong enough to be lifting that weight...

For some people that's not a restricted ROM. Doing them from the shoulders in some cases can cause shoulder injury. I never go below than ear level when I do them. Going lower makes my shoulders pop. Doesn't hurt, but that's never a good thing regardless. Ear level is a natural ROM for me anyway because in order to go lower I have to force it, again not a good thing.

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    Originally posted by unshift
    75s arent all that much, try sort of a DB power clean (aka shrug them up and dip a bit) to get them into place

speak for yourself. I'm doing 50's

Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

i meant 75lb dumbbells not being all that difficult to move around. it's not like they're 120s

as for shoulder press, i don't really even do them, so i don't really even know if 75 is a lot or not

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    75 may not be a lot to move around, but the shoulder is a definite weak point for most people, as it is easily injured.

I, myself, had two surgeries to my right shoulder. In one second, I broke my humerus, dislocated it, and tore my rotator cuff. That was two years ago and it took almost a year of rehab to get my range of motion back. I am very careful not to get stupid with it. My right shoulder now has a greater ROM than my left shoulder because of my hard work. I am not going to jeopardize that by pushing beyond my ROM.

I tried to clean the weight a few times and sit in on my shoulder before sitting down, but that seems to give a weird pull to my shoulder and I didn't want to test that theory too many other times.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

Originally posted by baldguy

I tried to clean the weight a few times and sit in on my shoulder before sitting down, but that seems to give a weird pull to my shoulder and I didn't want to test that theory too many other times.
    you're cleaning it incorrectly then.

dip down a bit, so the DBs are at mid-thigh level, then shrug them like hell and dip down again. they'll probably be at shoulder level then no shoulders required, cleaning is all about the traps

Originally posted by jds22
    75lbs. , that's more than I do with both hands.

Jerry
    No need to cry Jerry. Keep at it, you'll improve.

I sometimes need a spot to help me get the DBs up into position. Just ask someone nearby. People in the gym are often willing to help, and it doesn't take much effort to help get them into starting position.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220