Thread: Progression Questions???

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Progression Questions???

1. I have been suffering some strength losses during the past few weaks. I have hit a certain peak on a given exercise and then returned the following week and not been able to get the same.

For instance... I was benching 2 65 pound DB's last week, and today I was struggling with 3 sets of 60. I chalked it up to being a little tired but I have noticed this with a few other things like curls. I leveled out at 55 on DB curls and couldn't go up anymore. So I started doing more BB curls to switch it up and now I can barely get a set of 55 DB's.... So I feel I went down in strength. I haven't really done anything different diet wise and I haven't let up on lifting. I've actually gained some weight in the past couple weeks so I can't explain it.

Any ideas and what should I do?

2. When you level out on an exercise and cannot get a set in at any higher, should you

A. Stick with the same weight and continue till you get stronger

B. Increase weight and sacrifice reps

I feel I'm getting to a point with my lifts that if I don't grow a lot I won't be able to go up much more. My bench is the exception cuz I know it's weak anyway. But my curls and tri routines probably won't improve until my arms do some growing.

3. If you stick to the same weight for several weeks are you gonna grow?? I know it takes more weight to make your muscle grow but if you are curling the same amount for a bunch of weeks will your arms just maintain and not grow, or is it possible to grow without increasing weight??? I often see big guys who can have obviously been lifting for years curling 45 DB's. I'm pretty sure they can do more but they stick to that weight. Is that ok, and will it stimulate growth???

thanks

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

For someone your size I wouldn't be complaining about curling 55lb dbs for reps, in fact that's quite amazing.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I'm not complaining...

but my question is if I stay at 55 or even 50, will I gain. I thought u gotta increase the weight to see change

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    I'm not complaining...

but my question is if I stay at 55 or even 50, will I gain. I thought u gotta increase the weight to see change

-mic-
    Your body will let you know when it's time to up the weight. I mean you shouldn't increase the weight if you can't lift anymore with proper form, keep doing what you can with good form and it should come.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Im in the exact same situation. I find that if you increase the weight and decrease the reps for a couple of weeks, then come back at the original weight, you can burst through the plateau.

Im also curious about progression. If you get stuck on a weight for a couple of weeks for 6 reps. If you only got 6 reps 4 weeks running, is your muscle going to grow. I mean you are still overloading it as much as you can so i think it must, but a lot of people say that it adapts to the weight it wont grow. I think that is more true if you decrease the weight slightly

Wannabebig Member
    you could try using different exercises for the same muscle?

Wannabebig Member
    I don't mean to doubt you or anything, but are you sure about curling 55 pound DBs? That's an awful lot of weight, especially if your bench is 65 DBs.

If you are not getting enough calories you're progression will slow down and eventually stop.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Wow 55lb dumbells is alot, I weigh 165lbs or so and curl a lot less than that hehe. Do you use 100% perfect form? If you don't use perfect form do not cheat yourself, lower the weight and do them slowly, this will cause the muscle to grow. I find that with curls in particular form is extremely important. Anyways if you are using perfect form disregard what I just said hehe. If you really feel stuck maybe switch your routine? Goodluck man.

Originally posted by EdgarMex
    If you are not getting enough calories you're progression will slow down and eventually stop.
    Just read this, I agree yup.

I use 65-70lb dbs for presses as well and I can't even curl a 55lb db for 1 rep with good form.

Originally posted by HahnB
    I use 65-70lb dbs for presses as well and I can't even curl a 55lb db for 1 rep with good form.
    my curl weight has done nothing but go up since i more or less stopped doing them (routinely).

i just brought them back into my routine, doing 2 sets per week.

Originally posted by unshift

my curl weight has done nothing but go up since i more or less stopped doing them (routinely).

i just brought them back into my routine, doing 2 sets per week.
    I only do 2 sets of db curls a week, hammer curls actually, did you completely take out all curls from your routine?

Wow, that curl to press ratio is insane/weird/wrong? I can EZ-bar curl (easier than DB), without losing form, about what I can DB press with each hand. And I consider my chest pretty weak and biceps pretty strong.

Anyway, if you're getting stuck and frustrated at a certain rep/weight either take a week off or change your focus. Do you have an obvious sticking point on you DB presses? For example, if your tri's feel weak work dips and close grip bench.

As for muscle growth, using the same weights for a few weeks probably has significantly less effect than other factors such as diet and rest for those weeks.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Originally posted by Ross
    I don't mean to doubt you or anything, but are you sure about curling 55 pound DBs? That's an awful lot of weight, especially if your bench is 65 DBs.

I got one set of 55x8 followed by 2 sets of 50x6

But then this week I was stuck on 50

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

My form may not be perfect but it isn't bad. What do u curl?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Originally posted by Mic Soloist

My form may not be perfect but it isn't bad. What do u curl?
    Depending on what I do first. If I do my barbell curls first, then my db weight is 35s for hammer curls. If I do the db curls first I do 40s, but my form is what I concentrate on. Curls have always been my hardest exersise to move up in.

I think some days/weeks the BB gods just don't smile on a bodypart, no matter how much you've been eating and resting. I've had to regress on weights for an exercise, just for the sake of doing *something*, because I couldn't get the same amount of weight up that day.

Depending on what I do first. If I do my barbell curls first, then my db weight is 35s for hammer curls. If I do the db curls first I do 40s, but my form is what I concentrate on. Curls have always been my hardest exersise to move up in.

I might try going back down to 40 or 45 and working on pure timing and form.

I do struggle a lot with the 50-55's and I think my form could be better.

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

I was curling 55s for a while but I found that my palms didnt turn into me until very late in the curl. I dropped down to 45s and focused on having my palms faced inwards very early in the rep. This meant the load was on my biceps for the the full ROM