The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Your Tips

Wannabebig New Member

Your Tips

Hello All! This is my first real post on WBB Forums, but I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and have found this forum VERY helpfull in turning around my life, and now thought it was time to join in with the discussions. I started training a little over 1 year ago when i hit 300 lbs after 1st year university. After getting diet and training tips from your forums I now stand 6'2 and weigh in at 205 lbs.....the lightest I have been since grade 10, I believe. Enough about me, the real purpose for this post is to pick your brains on my current diet plan, here is a TYPICAL day for me, sometimes switching the meats at Dinner and Lunch around and so on

Breakfast (7am): 4 Egg Whites
    4 oz Hamburger
    Cup Fiber 1 Cereal
    1 Glass Orange Juice
    1 Tbsp Flax Oil
    1 Multi Vitamin

Brunch (10:30am): Tub Cottage Cheese

Lunch (12pm): Chicken Breast
    Cup Brown Rice
    Cup Yogurt

Mid-Afternoon (2:30pm): Cup Yogurt (maybe more here???)

Dinner (5:30pm): Steak
    Cup Brown Rice
    Veggies

Workout(7pm-8pm)

Post Workout (8pm): Protein Shake
    1 Can Tuna

Bed Time (9:45pm): Tub Cottage Cheese
    1 Tbsp Flax Oil

I usually take 5g creatine post workout, but am currently on a 1 month break from it. I also drink lots of water throughout the day, carrying a bottle everywhere I go.

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looks good, but I would change:

-no yogurt, unless you really crave it. Try some oatmeal in the morning.

-no hamburger, how 'bout chicken or beans

-fish instead of steak, steak only occasionally.

Try a swet potato sometimes so you don't get bored.

Also, try to have a count of your calories and your macro breakdown so you can control what your daily intake is.

Good work so far!
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the pointers, I don't really crave the yogurt, I just assumed it would be a fast easy fix for some protein.

I often substitute salmon for the dinner time steak.

Why do you think I should cut out the hamburger?? It is lean ground beef. The reason I have it for breakfast is, I watched this show on a wrestler(I love wrestling!) and he has hamburger every morning for breakfast.

I was also thinking of setting my alarm for like 3:30 am to shake up a protein drink, would there be any benefit to this?
    Last edited by J-Mac; 09-08-2003 at 12:59 PM.

well - what are your current goals with this diet?

i personally don't see anything wrong with yogurt - as long as you choose fat-free plain (otherwise the yogurts are loaded with sugar).
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

I don't think fat free is the right kind is it? Usually it's the fat free ones they load down with sugar to make up the taste. As long as you can find natural yogurt then it should be good.

If you are looking for breakfast food, you could try turkey or chicken bacon. It's pretty tasty, although, not as tasty as regular bacon, and contains much less fat.

I don't recommend waking up for meals in the middle of the night. The benefits of a healthy sleeping pattern far outweigh anything you'd gain from a shake at an odd hour.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig New Member
    My goals are to really gain muscle mass.

I have been getting low-fat yogurt, but I was getting it with blueberry flavouring...I will switch to plain now though...thanks!

I tried to add up my calories to the best of my ability and, from what I see, it is a little short of 2000 so I think this is a problem. I think I may throw in 1cup of oatmeal at breakfast time, think that should do the trick

PS - does anyone know any good websites to find out nutritional values for foods??

Re: Your Tips

Originally posted by J-Mac
    Breakfast (7am): 4 Egg Whites
    4 oz Hamburger
    Cup Fiber 1 Cereal
    1 Glass Orange Juice
    1 Tbsp Flax Oil
    1 Multi Vitamin
    I don't see any reason to have the orange juice, since it is calorically dense, and it does not offer much to your diet, except extra calories. You could include an orange in place of the OJ, or maybe another source of low GI carbs.

Fish oil would be a better source of EFAs as opposed to the flaxseed oil.

I see no reason to get rid of the hamburger, as long as it is lean ground beef. Another option would be to have a couple of yolks with your egg whites.

Lunch (12pm): Chicken Breast
    Cup Brown Rice
    Cup Yogurt

Mid-Afternoon (2:30pm): Cup Yogurt (maybe more here???)

Dinner (5:30pm): Steak
    Cup Brown Rice
    Veggies
    These meals look fine to me, although I would go with cottage cheese over yogurt, but either one will suffice. Just stick to the unflavored, non-fat variety, and you can add some fruit or sugar free jello to give it some flavor.

Also you might want to throw in some fat with a couple of the above meals. I would recommend fat intake to be ~25% of your daily cals, with most of the fat coming from healthy sources (fish oil, flax oil, nuts, olive oil, natural peanut butter, etc.).

Workout(7pm-8pm)

Post Workout (8pm): Protein Shake
    1 Can Tuna
    Drop the tuna and add in some carbs post workout, along with your protein shake. High GI carbs such as maltodextrin or dextrose would work just fine.

Of course your calories would need to be adjusted according to your goals.

Welcome to WBB

My goals are to really gain muscle mass.

I have been getting low-fat yogurt, but I was getting it with blueberry flavouring...I will switch to plain now though...thanks!

I tried to add up my calories to the best of my ability and, from what I see, it is a little short of 2000 so I think this is a problem. I think I may throw in 1cup of oatmeal at breakfast time, think that should do the trick

PS - does anyone know any good websites to find out nutritional values for foods??
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

Just slowly increase your daily cals in small increments each week, until you are gaining a small amount of weight each week.

If you are 205 lbs and trying to gain mass, you will need a whole lot more than 2000 calories. Probably in the neighbourhood of double that.

Don't forget to include calories from anything you drink as well. Many people forget and it can seriously add up to a lot if you drink milk, juice or pop.

You could try registering at fitday.com and keeping track of calories there. Then anything you use regularly that isn't there you can setup as a custom food, after a few weeks of keeping track you will know more or less what you are taking in day to day without having to keep every minute detail recorded.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Originally posted by ElPietro
    I don't think fat free is the right kind is it? Usually it's the fat free ones they load down with sugar to make up the taste. As long as you can find natural yogurt then it should be good.
    Usually the above would be correct, but just think about the difference between skim milk and whole milk.

Well I meant it for yogurt, not milk. Isn't this what they do? I haven't eaten yogurt in a while but it always looked like the fat free ones were loaded down with tons of carbs. Everyone expects skim milk to taste bad so they probably don't bother with the sugar.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig New Member
    Double 2000 calories...wow

what if I changed from 1/2 cup of rice to a full cup??

thanks for all the replies

also - if you want to enjoy your fat-free plain yogurt more - add flavored protein powder to it or add it to cooked oatmeal. that's my helpful tip for the day.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Well I meant it for yogurt, not milk. Isn't this what they do? I haven't eaten yogurt in a while but it always looked like the fat free ones were loaded down with tons of carbs. Everyone expects skim milk to taste bad so they probably don't bother with the sugar.
    Yogurt, plain, skim milk, 13 grams protein per 8 ounce
    Water g 208.814
    Energy kcal 137.200
    Energy kj 570.850
    Protein g 14.039
    Total lipid (fat) g 0.441
    Ash g 2.891
    Carbohydrate, by difference g 18.816
    Fiber, total dietary g 0.000
    Sugars, total g 18.816

Yogurt, plain, low fat, 12 grams protein per 8 ounce
    Water g 193.109
    Energy kcal 143.010
    Energy kj 601.550
    Protein g 11.918
    Total lipid (fat) g 3.519
    Ash g 2.474
    Carbohydrate, by difference g 15.981
    Fiber, total dietary g 0.000
    Sugars, total g 15.981

There is a little difference in the amount of sugar, but not a significant amount. The difference would come from the fact as to whether or not the yogurt was made from skim milk. low fat, or whole milk.

Ah, ok, I think we may have been speaking of different things. When I speak of fat free, I didn't mean fat free plain yogurt, but the fat free, flavoured stuff, that isn't natural. But anyway, he can always look at the label himself.

WTF, I'm fat, why am I giving diet advice.

*waddles off*
    Last edited by ElPietro; 09-08-2003 at 01:40 PM.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Double 2000 calories...wow

what if I changed from 1/2 cup of rice to a full cup??

thanks for all the replies
    You will have to determine your daily calorie intake yourself, seeing as how it varies from person to person. Just increase cals a little each week, and then make the necessary adjustments to your daily calorie intake based on the results you are getting.

Adding in ~200 cals per week will probably yield the best results. This way you don't run the risk of shocking your body with a sudden surge of calories.