Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I switched to full squats from quarter squats...

hey wanna go lift

I switched to full squats from quarter squats...

I feel a whole new kind of soreness now..

Although, on the first rep of my first set, I let my knees go past my toes and it was quite painful coming up. I didn't make that mistake again and I felt no knee pain or tension.

Someone said, "the only muscle 1/4 squats exercise is your ego," which applies to me quite a bit heh. I could do about 215 in 1/4 squat but if I do full squats, I'm struggling with 135 by the time the end of the 3rd set rolls around.

Good for you, ATF squats are the real deal.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

3:16
    whats your reason for doing 1/4 squats?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

hey wanna go lift
    Originally posted by body
    whats your reason for doing 1/4 squats?
    I didn't know better.. thats how I was taught when I started lifting seriously in the beginning of this summer.

Just for my clarity, by "quarter squats" you mean about halfway to parallel (like most people you see in the gym), correct?

Squatting to parallel is a valid way to exercise too.
    Last edited by Scott S; 09-08-2003 at 02:16 PM.

Good for you utah82. One thing you can be sure of is that you'll always look better using proper form over trying to load up the weight.

It's important to check your ego at the door, and you did. Way to go.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

hey wanna go lift
    Originally posted by Scott S
    Just for my clarity, by "quarter squats" you mean about halfway to parallel (like most people you see in the gym), correct?

Squatting to parallel is a valid way to exercise too.
    Yeah, I was. I didn't feel like I was gaining or making an impact... and after I read the bit about 1/4 squats only exercising the ego, I decided to switch it up and see how it went. I'm definitely sold though.

Originally posted by Tim Nissen
    Good for you utah82. One thing you can be sure of is that you'll always look better using proper form over trying to load up the weight.

It's important to check your ego at the door, and you did. Way to go.
    Thanks dude, appriciate the vote of confidence.
    Last edited by utah82; 09-08-2003 at 03:48 PM.

1/4 squats are for wimps who don't want to know what real pain is.

You da man now! Congrats!
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

You can train your squat lockout with 1/4 ROM squats, but that would be more on if you planned on competing, or for some reason just wanted to focus on your 1rm. So sure they have their place, but no, not in the way people are speaking of them here.

Good job with the new form, makes a huge difference.

I think squatting with good form is so rare it shouldn't even be called squats anymore, to distinguish it from what most others typically do in a gym. Need to come up with a new name...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

What does ATF stand for? Is that just another name for full squats?

Wannabebig Member
    ass to floor

LP: Squatastics? Squatasms? Squatarians? Non-wussy squats? :P

I just chuckle under my breath when I see someone doing 1/4 (more like 1/8th) squats with a "heavy" weight, like 225. Ooooooo two, plates, and a whole 3" ROM!!! I end up laughing uproariously but then everyone stares at me and they think I'm stupid, which I am. Stop reading now. I'm just in my own little world.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

LOL

I've got it.

We call it Novasquatsamid, or decasquatsinabol, then trademark the name, write an article to a men's fitness type mag about our revolutionary new supplement.....guaranteed to make you a freak!. Distribute exculsively through At Large, and we're millionares
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Why don't we just call them ATF squats?

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Originally posted by MixmasterNash
    LP: Squatastics? Squatasms? Squatarians? Non-wussy squats? :P

I just chuckle under my breath when I see someone doing 1/4 (more like 1/8th) squats with a "heavy" weight, like 225. Ooooooo two, plates, and a whole 3" ROM!!! I end up laughing uproariously but then everyone stares at me and they think I'm stupid, which I am. Stop reading now. I'm just in my own little world.
    Yeah. People really wonder why the hell I stare at them and laugh when they're doing "squats." Although the pussies in the gym here rarely venture above the 185 mark, even for 1/4 (or as I call em pussy squats). Then people stare at me when doing ATF's with around what they 1/4 squat. They ask wtf I do that for; "you know that going past a coupla inches above parallel will, like totally f**k up your knees, don't you?" LMFAO
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

I've seen maybe 2 other guys in my gym that actually do ATF squats. Some of the hardcore BBers in my gym actually have commended me on doing them the proper way. That means a lot, especially since I feel that I'm not able to do much weight. It's just encouraging.

Sure, I could do more weight if I only went down 1/4 of the way. But why would I want to?

I don't see how a 285 squat is "not able to do much weight". Even if it is a 1RM. Good work there.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Thanks Max. I'm just dying to slide on that 3rd plate though.

No matter how much weight I can lift, I always feel that I can do more. And squats keep me up at night. lol

Seriously, 285 is quite excellent for your weight. If done with proper form, I imagine that's stronger than 99.9% of the people in the world, the other 0.1% being pro athletes and power/oly lifters.

Let's put it this way: I've seen ONE person besides me squat below parallel with 315 or more at the UNC gym in 4 years. He was clearly a (former) football player type, possibly now PL, and was using chains. Obviously the real NCAA athletes probably do it regularly (at their own swanky gym), but out of the general population it never happens.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wow, I didn't realize. Must be all those miles I ran in High school.

I also am up to 580 on the calf machine (highest it goes ) and max out on the leg press at 985. I tried to crack 1000 about 4 weeks ago, but failed.

Still, I'd like to hit 330 on the squat. My progress has been slow, but steady. And it's true what they say. Your mind HAS to be in the right place in order to squat.

Originally posted by drew
    Your mind HAS to be in the right place in order to squat.
    couldn't agree more. that's why i failed my last 350 attempt

I can't stand smith machine squats. I am thinking of doing squats with weight only but at a manageable amount so I can compltete them. I don't like leaning back on Smith machine.

I quit the Smith about 6 weeks ago and I've never been happier. I was making no progress using the Smith machine. Just get off it, you'll never go back.

so parallel squats are also real squats? i have been doing them but then i thought they were 1/4 squats. i usually get to a lil bit below sitting position. anymore info would be much appreciated.

hey wanna go lift
    This was day 2 of my atf squats.. I was only doing 155lbs but I've found its much easier to keep my weight centered on my heals when I do ATF versus parallel or 1/4 squats. I'm really digging it plus I feel as if my quads and glutes are actually getting a workout now instead of just the "eh that wasnt so bad" feeling