Thread: Sore = Bad ?

Sore = Bad ?

When i train i normally do till failure and i normally get pretty sore. Reps normally range between 6-10 ish. Then i blast them on the last set at 15 ish reps. My muscles are normally anhilated. Im making gains but would i make better gains if i dont go to failure ? is this bad ? i think im addicted to pump. haha.
    Find out about me : Andy Palmer
    Check out my : Bodybuilding Weblog

Banned
    do a search on "DOMS" or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

there are a number of opinions out there on whether or not you need to train to failure to grow and/or how much of an impact it makes

IMHO: bottom line is that you need to enjoy training... if you like training to failure, fill your boots. If you want to see if you'll make better gains without it, try dropping that part for a while.

Depends on how many total sets you do for a particular part. If you are doing 15 reps on the last set, then you might consider doing heavier weight.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Gen_chat worst nightmare

Re: Sore = Bad ?

Originally posted by Andy P
    Im making gains but would i make better gains if i dont go to failure ?
    Possibly, but there's no sure way to say. You won't make any worst gains by stopping a bit shy of failure and the extra volume you'll be able to tolerate might lead to more hypertrophy.

No. It does not necessarily mean bad. I've read that these are either lactic acid build up or microscopic fibre tears that happen when your muscles are not used to the heavier load or that range of motion. When it heals, it just means that you'll get stronger.

As to whether you'll make better gains or not, try a mix of training with and without failure.
    "Experiencing this pain in my muscles and aching and going on and on is my challenge. The last three or four reps is what makes the muscles grow. This area of pain divides a champion from someone who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens. I have no fear of fainting. I do squats until I fall over and pass out. So what? It's not going to kill me. I wake up five minutes later and I'm OK. A lot of other athletes are afraid of this. So they don't pass out. They don't go on." - Arnold

"You become an accomplished bodybuilder when you are overweight with low bf." - Pusher

No, it isn't necessarily bad, but I'd recommend not going to failur EVERY time you workout. Over time, that will lead to overtraining, or it did for me at least.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

thx people. v. helpful
    Find out about me : Andy Palmer
    Check out my : Bodybuilding Weblog