Thread: Got Guns?

Overtrainer.

Got Guns?

Bill Piche at Cyberpump wrote this.

You can't have 19 inch arms and have a bodyweight of 160 pounds. [EDIT: However, I know 2 people who weigh 170lbs with 17" arms. ] IF YOU WANT TO GET SIGNIFICANTLY BIGGER ARMS YOU MUST INCREASE YOUR OVERALL MUSCLE MASS. Notice I said muscle mass. Anyone could eat themselves into oblivion and get big arms - but they would be all fat! How do you gain more overall muscle mass? Squat, bench press, and deadlift are three good ways to more muscle mass. Do these exercises once a week and consistently hard, take in enough good food, and get at least 8 hours sleep a night, and I'll bet you that your arm size increases.

So what exercises should you do for biceps? Well there are tons of curl variations for biceps. Don't expect me to list them in a table and try and copyright it! One of the bicep favorites is barbell curls. I personally did these for years and I think....they basically suck. Why? One big reason is that it is too easy to use other muscle groups to cheat. Plus you don't need any extra low back strain and most people end up doin curls that look more like power cleans. It wasn't until I made the preacher bench my biceps friend that I really got full development. You can do them either with a dumbell or barbell or even use a cable. Full range should be used and you need to concentrate on squeezing the muscle at the top - do your reps like you are pumpin up a tire - your biceps tire. Also, concentrate on using the biceps only and not use your upper back to assist the rep. How many sets? I say 2 to 3 sets and vary the reps schemes. You need to carry each set to positive failure. I can hear some people all ready..."What, only 3 sets!!!, but Mr. Joe Universe does 15 sets!". Forget the "other training articles" to; the ones by champion bodybuilders. You should question whether they even do the routines in the mags and remember that 99% of these bodybuilders are chemically assisted. Work your biceps and your back on different days. The biceps should get HIT pretty well on back days as well. Most of the "gurus" of training articles fail to mention the importance of doing heavy back exercises in biceps development. But, I won't - doing heavy back exercises will contribute greatly to your biceps development. So in essence, you will be HITing your biceps twice a week.

What about the triceps? If I read another training article that says - "The triceps are 2/3 of the muscle mass of the arm, don't neglect tricep training" I am gonna puke! The fact is that the triceps get HIT in all your pressing movements. If you are working your chest hard with pressing movements, you can bet your weight belt that you don't need much direct triceps work. First off, stay away from elbow busters like lying triceps extensions a.k.a. skull crushers. Most people can't do these for years and not suffer some elbow pain. I like the close grip bench press for an overall tricep movement. How many sets? One or two is what I recommend. Vary your rep scheme. Concentrate on squeezing the triceps. The second exercise to finish with would be tricep pushdowns. Don't hump yourself over and turn it into a bench press! Stand erect and work the triceps! There is no need to let the weight come up to your forehead either!!!

Some good advice thanks Westy, its a little irritating how obsessed we are with our guns.
    Crazy looking intimidatiing meathead with no neck - MadFistBT

Originally posted by bullethead
    Some good advice thanks Westy, its a little irritating how obsessed we are with our guns.
    I don't think its disturbing, I think its natural. When someone asks you to flex there not talking about pulling your pants down and giving them a peak at hams or quads. They're talking about showing the guns! They want a ticket to the gun show. And big arms are a symbol of power, the bigger your arms the more power it looks like you have overall.

That was a great article WHB. I was a bit shocked to hear that skull crushers should be avoided but the reasoning is sound. It can do a number on the elbows. I also liked the part about not working your back and bi's on the same day. I'm assuming it's suggested to stay away from chest and tri's as well. A lot of people seem to be big on pull/pull and push/push motions and want to combine them. I've personally gotten better results spliting them up. Thanks for the article man.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

this compound lifting stuff sounds great & makes a lot of sense, but how come there's so many guys at my gym looking like chickens??? huge upper body and arms but if u compare 'em to their legs their legs look like twigs. what's up with that???

one of them's a friend of mine & he says he focused first on his upper body..neglecting dls and squats. doing leg presses on occasion.

Tell him he as chicken legs. Tell him looks really bad having an overly developed upper body and an underdeveloped lower bod. Also, tell him the chicks hate scrawny legs. Maybe that will get him to change his routine.

I do skulls but never have had issues with my elbows. Any other input on this? I do standing curls but maybe I should try the reg preacher curls for a while.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I do standing curls as well and haven't had any form issues with them. They're by far my favorite bi exercise. But if you have trouble with rocking, then I'd look to preacher curls as a replacement. Then again, you can always do both

Spawn People can still get good results without working their lower body. The point is that you will get better results, and faster, if you work your lower body as well. These guys are basically taking the scenic route to building muscle, not the quickest and most efficient.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I agree. I personally have made the BB curl my fav. Bicep Opener. But I will try switching to close-grip Bench Press for awhile. I guess you could hurt yourself doing skulls, but probably only if your using horrible form.

I give the article a 6 out of 10. Not bad though.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

Bail Enforcement Agent kathnmarc's Avatar
    TWO WORDS: REVERSE CURLS!
    Not only good for bicep development, but great for the forearms as well.
    Height: 5' - 10"
    Weight: 220 lbs
    Chest: 49"
    Waist: 35"
    Quads: 27.5"
    Bi/Tri: 18"

Bench: 305 x 1
    Barbell Curl: 160 x 1

Reverse preacher curls.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I'm glad he said he knew 2 170lb guys with 17" arms, because I was about to get annoyed, as I'm 172 and have 17 1/4" arms.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6