Thread: Mr.Olympia 1980, what happend?

Mr.Olympia 1980, what happend?

This is something Ive been wondering about for quite some time now, and just recently in connection with the Mentzer deaths, I read something about that years competition as being corrupt.
    And even that Mike Mentzer tried to attack Arnold, but stopped as Arnold sat down, being the adult one in my eyes.

But one thing that suprised me big time was that Mike Mentzer only came in at a fifth place, and he had an awesome body.
    Did Arnold deserve to win, I think with all respect that his muscles looked a bit tired, he looked as his carb intace the last hours was pretty low, and for a bodybuilder with his 40/40/20 protein, carbs and water strategy, suiting his muscletype very good, a low carb intake was a bad move, making Mentzer equally good as him, maybe better?

What was really the conclusion of this Mr.Olympia?
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

arnold only went to the show to do a comentary and at the last minute opted to join the show.

Him and weider were up each other's arses so much at the time it was obvious he would win.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Mentzer shoulda kicked his ass.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Joe Weider sucked Arnolds cock.

Anyway Arnold still looked good enough to win, also he decided to compete alot longer than last minute, it was 6-8 weeks before the contest

I also think that there may have been some shenanigans involved to give the Olympia to Arnold to help with publicity for his new Conan movie that was coming out at about the same time.

Bodybuilding is a business, just like any other. Even in lower competitions; who you know sometimes plays a big role.

Well, first off, Arnold fully intended to compete. He had gotten down to just a little over 200 lbs in off-season shape for a movie part. He got his size back up very quickly, but I cannot remember if it was to do the Conan part and that was the impetus to get back into contest form or not. If you look at pics from that Olympia, while Arnold didn't look his best, he still towered over the other competitors and was simply quite a bit larger than most of them. His superiority in that show was more obvious in comparative shots. Take a close look at some of the pics. Mentzer did look awesome for that show and should have placed 2nd at the worst. Bodybuilding is, and has been, at least since the Weiders took control, very political in its outcomes.

mentzer was the MAN! He deserved to win something! poor lad...

Well he was better, when I look at some of the pictures I must admit that he was superior. And Mentzer must have been acting a bit childish trying to attack Arnold and saying everybody is wrong accept him.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

"Q. I would like to turn back 20 years and ask you about the most controversial Mr. Olympia in history. I am talking, of course, about the 1980 Mr. Olympia that took place in Sydney. Everybody thought at that time that the winner would prevail after a strong battle between you and Frank Zane, as it had happened exactly 1 year before in the 1979 Mr. Olympia. Surprisingly, you finished 5th and Mr.Zane finished 3rd. What do you believe really happened that day?

M.M. The 1980 Mr. Olympia was definitely fixed. The promoter of that contest was Paul Graham, a very, very close friend of Arnold's. As it turned out, while the rules stated that individuals had to officially enter their application to compete one month before the contest, the IFBB bent the rule and let Arnold enter the day before! He waited that long because by that point he knew who the judges were. CBS, who was there to film the event for future televising, was convinced it was fixed and discovered that a majority of the judges had either close personal or financial ties with Arnold. Well, so convinced - and pissed off - was CBS Sports that, despite the time, money and effort required to send a film crew half way around the world to Australia to film a sporting event, they refused to air that contest. As further evidence, I suggest you view the video of the 1980 Mr. Olympia."

That was Mike's response.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]