Thread: Big Brother/Big Sister program

Hybrid View

Big Brother/Big Sister program

Some of you may know what it is, others may not. Basically it is a program where you volunteer to spend a few hours of your time each week or weekend with a young boy from the ages of 8-16 that does not have a father or male role model in their house.

So basically I am 25 years old, no kids, no wife, no girlfriend, only 1 or 2 good friends. Only things that occupy my time are classes, work (only mon, wed, and fri) and the gym. I am giving this some thought as I have plenty of free time and only a few good friend I hang out with here. Why not spend my free time be-friending a young child, maybe influencing his life, and teaching that young man/boy things that only come from a father/son type relationship.

I have 1 older brother, 2 younger brothers and 1 younger sister. I guess what made me think of this is the fact that until recently my little brother and sister lived somewhat close to me. I would see them maybe once every 4 months or so and that didnt really bother me because I went for a good 3 years without seeing them while I was in the marine corps. But now my 2 younger brothers (who I get along with the best) and my little sister all live with my father up in washington state. With that being said, I didnt feel as if I got along well with any of my brothers while we were growing up and we didnt have that typical brother bond. I know how I felt about that while growing up, so imagine how these kids with no father or brothers feel.

So I figured why not give this program a try. I am sure I could help influence a young kids life and teach him a thing or two that he may not have had the opportunity to do if it wasnt for this program.

Have any of you ever participated in this program? As one of the big brothers/big sisters or maybe as a kid with no male or female role model in your house? What do you think of the program?

GnB,

I am not a part of this program, but I can say from what i've gotten to know about you and the type of person you are I think it'd be a great thing for you. If I were one of those kids I know for a fact I'd want you to be my big brother....no questions asked. Go for it bro... I think you'll enjoy it.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

decease, RIP
    My parents tried that, didn't really work out.

But i think you should do it tho...

I think its a great idea, i think you could teach the kids something and you may end up learning a few things yourself.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Originally posted by Big_Brick
    My parents tried that, didn't really work out.

But i think you should do it tho...
    Why didnt it work out? Was it them? Or was it the kid they were assigned to spend time with?

decease, RIP
    They did it twice. They only had the kids(2) like 2days every month. And it olny worked out for a couple of months.

I think the family moved the first time they tried it, not sure. The second time the monther got busted for some drug thing. Dont know what happen to the kids.

Anyway i tried not to get involved, had a bad feeling about the whole thing. Both of the times there was trouble with the husband, it was a circus i'll tell ya. Feelt bad for the kids, having to move around all the time, different families and stuff.

Bespoke Super Mod
    i give you credit G-B, that is something truly worthwhile
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

i think it's a great idea G-B. I've never done it myself, but I was a helper for a woman who fostered 8 children whose mom was a crackhead. I tutroed them and had to go to school for awhile with one of them, because he kept acting up in class. Ummm....it was definitely a rewarding and eye-opening experience, particularly since these kids had been seprated and sent to other foster homes where most of them had been sexually and physically abused. They were sweet kids, most of the time...but psycho too. Granted, this is an extreme example, and chances are you won't interact, with same kind of child, or as deeply as I interacted with these kids....but definitely do it. These kids, alot of time, need to know there are normal grownups in the world. And a positive Male role-model, in particular, is key to male and female children from disadvantaged backgrounds. they need to know there is another way to live.

go for it. you could change the whole world-view of some little kid, for the better.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    WTF?

This the same getnangry we all know??

Think he's getnpedophilethoughtsinhisjuiceduphead

J/k GB

You would be doing a very good deed if you did this. You're a nicer guy than I thought for even considering it.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

GB I think that it would be a good thing to take part in. I myself have been contemplating when I get the time if I should do this as well. It's always good to know that you have the power to make someone elses life a little more liveable and maybe influence the way they see life.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

GB I think it sounds like a great idea. Not only was this program designed for people who like to volunteer, but also for people who have time to. I've done volunteer work with kids in the past, but mine was teaching horseback riding lessons to physically handicaped children, But for one of my classes this semester I have to do a service learning project. Which basicly means that I have to volunteer a couple of hours each week, either tutoring a child or just being a role model. Usually I wouldn't say "have to" but I have 5 classes this semester and work, so I'm a little tight on free time.

But anyways, I say go for it!

I think it's a great thing, man. Unlike some of the skeptical mofos out here, i'm not entirely surprised you'd do something like this.

You can't go wrong; you can make a huge difference in someone's life, and at the same time get out of yourself for a bit. Both of those are wonderful things.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Thats good stuff GB i hope it works out for ya bvut are you worried the kids might be taller than you?
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

LOL @ Bam Bam...

That sounds like a good challenge to me where both people would come out learning..

Well I attended one of their monthly meetings where they basically tell you all about the program. You can decide what part of town the kid lives in that you would like to be assigned to.

The only problem I found with it is that they require a one year commitment from you. Now as some of you may know, I was in the Marine Corps for a few years. Although I am not in the active reserves, I am in the inactive reserves. Doesnt mean I am going to be called upon, but I have been entertaining thoughts of possibly re-enlisting. That would be the only thing stopping me from possibly doing this. That and the fact that during this next summer I have accepted a job at a kids camp for 2-2.5 months as a counselor and marksmanship instructor for the youth that attend the camp.

I am still entertaining the thought of doing this program but will need to meet with the director to see if it is possible that I commit to the program for less than a year.

oh lord gb...your gonna be teaching little kids to shoot guns?!

*lol*

why does that strike me as absolutely perfectly you?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?