The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

So, a thread about upper and lower chest

To train upper chest: incline workouts

To train lower chest: decline workouts

To train for chest mass: flat bench workouts

To train outer chest: fly(e)s

To train inner chest: fly(e) crossovers and cable crossovers.

To train for width: Wide grip bench press

Disclaimer: Certain wisdom denies differentiating between upper and lower chest workouts. Whatever works for the individual I guess.

So, ok chest workout?
    "Experiencing this pain in my muscles and aching and going on and on is my challenge. The last three or four reps is what makes the muscles grow. This area of pain divides a champion from someone who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens. I have no fear of fainting. I do squats until I fall over and pass out. So what? It's not going to kill me. I wake up five minutes later and I'm OK. A lot of other athletes are afraid of this. So they don't pass out. They don't go on." - Arnold

"You become an accomplished bodybuilder when you are overweight with low bf." - Pusher

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There is no outer or inner chest.

There is no width.

For most practical purposes, there is no upper or lower.

There is only "mass."

And I really have no desire to type out exactly why (yet again).

Train the chest with an exercise or two of your choice, and be done with it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Lemme find a link and I'll show you what I mean.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Yeah, I saw this one on my first search.

There's a myriad of opinions as to whether incline and flat benches are necessary in that thread and the possibility of localized growth. I think PowerManDL also added what he just contributed.

IMO, the incline has indeed worked for my upper chest, but that's me.
    "Experiencing this pain in my muscles and aching and going on and on is my challenge. The last three or four reps is what makes the muscles grow. This area of pain divides a champion from someone who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens. I have no fear of fainting. I do squats until I fall over and pass out. So what? It's not going to kill me. I wake up five minutes later and I'm OK. A lot of other athletes are afraid of this. So they don't pass out. They don't go on." - Arnold

"You become an accomplished bodybuilder when you are overweight with low bf." - Pusher

Originally posted by musclette

There's a myriad of opinions as to whether incline and flat benches are necessary in that thread and the possibility of localized growth. I think PowerManDL also added what he just contributed.

Not to be a jerk, but don't make threads like this before you do alot of searching and ALOT of reading. You're lucky you don't have a ****load of flames yet.

Check out Hulk's signature.
    5-9 170

xMeat_Headx, with all due respect, I was invited to make this post. (probably to allow me to see what sort of flames it'd invite) See this. http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=37103

But seriously, xMeat, if I started this thread without invitation, I'd imagine people with more experience can help those with lesser experience. Not everyone starts training at the same time. Instead of taking time to flame, the newbie could be directed to where the resources could be found, like how Mad-Mex provided the link. Imo anyway.

Originally posted by xMeat_Headx

Not to be a jerk, but don't make threads like this before you do alot of searching and ALOT of reading. You're lucky you don't have a ****load of flames yet.
    :withstupi

it's just one of those things that nobody wants to talk or even read about anymore.

I want to work JUST my right upper chest. I want to look like quasimodo in reverse.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Originally posted by musclette

How do you KNOW that incline bench has worked your upper chest? How about, it just made your chest get bigger.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

it is just best to work out all muscles from all angles. that way it developes at a quicker rate then just doing regular bench presses only all the time.

Originally posted by phi67
    it is just best to work out all muscles from all angles. that way it developes at a quicker rate then just doing regular bench presses only all the time.
    But if all the fibers work inconjunction with one another when doing regular bench, what's changing the angle going to do?

All the fibers contract at once regardless of the angle. Change it up just to ward off boredom or to incorporate or take out shoulder involvement but as for the chest, it will contract all at once regardless.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by phi67

Care to back that up?

How many angles can I work my hamstrings, quads, tri's, biceps from?

GENETICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Crazy looking intimidatiing meathead with no neck - MadFistBT

doing incline presses HAS led to greater development in my upper pec area with minimal development to the lower pec

I dont care what you nay sayers think

PS, claiming genetics is complete BS my family and all my relatives are outta shape "bad genetics people" yet if you saw me you'd say that I might have a bit of a genetic gift going on...which is BULLSHlT, I just care enough to go to the gym and eat right. Don't use a copout like genetics to rationalize why you dont see results. Thats like begging for god when your on your death bed.
    Its BS
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 09-12-2003 at 01:24 PM.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Yes, you CAN work a muscle from different angles and the mechanics will make you feel the stress in a slightly different way.

BUT it's still the same muscle--all parts of it--causing the same body part to move.

And doc, you should be ashamed of yourself for dropping a bomb on the new person...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Originally posted by geoffgarcia
    doing incline presses HAS led to greater development in my upper pec area with minimal development to the lower pec

I dont care what you nay sayers think

PS, claiming genetics is complete BS my family and all my relatives are outta shape "bad genetics people" yet if you saw me you'd say that I might have a bit of a genetic gift going on...which is BULLSHlT, I just care enough to go to the gym and eat right. Don't use a copout like genetics to rationalize why you dont see results. Thats like begging for god when your on your death bed.
    Its BS
    Umm....genetics are more than a gift. They deterimine how your muscles will look and develop. Everyone has them.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

:withstupi

Look at Franco Columbo. I's pretty amazing how he has that split in his chest. That's just his genetics. Not everyone can have that split. Also, Franco was quoted as saying that he believes all you need is the bench press and some other press (can't remember which) to develop your chest. He also said everything else is fluff. I'll see if I can find the quote.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals